Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyscrapes 2: Height of the Living Dead (succession)  (Read 71684 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Scrape Harder! (succession)
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2012, 12:29:44 pm »

Can you not just Wall off the entrance and throw all the bodies in a pit?

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »

Just finished skimming through this thread and I'd like to take a turn if we don't get killed by zombies first :P
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2012, 06:05:01 am »

Also, some merchants arrive, followed closely by a few waves of goblins, including a demon. I think we might want to get a front door.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2012, 08:45:46 am »

I'm here and I'm up to it, but it's still Bastus' turn, right?
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2012, 09:22:04 am »

Seems like he's crashed and burned. You can go ahead.

Quick list of things that are necessary for further survival:
1. There is a cage on the second floor or so, with one of the necromancers downstairs assigned to it. Cancel this assignment.
2. Get a closable entrance; wall it off if you have to. A siege w/ demon leader shows up shortly after the next human caravan arrives.
3. Atom smash all of the corpses, and make slabs for the deceased.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:28:30 am by Sizik »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2012, 03:06:23 pm »

alternately, make shitloads of coffins. your choice.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2012, 07:54:46 pm »

Journal of 'BMacZero' Eshtanozor, Trapper

In the Mid-Summer of 103, I was promoted to the leadership of the village Anrizigath Igathifin, "Skyscrapes the Scraped Hardiness". The impetus for this strange happening, as you may be aware, was the slaughter of most of the fortress' population at the hands of a legion of freakish undead wildlife, mostly bloated and rotted Kea and the animated skins of recently-butchered livestock, from the records. Guess the tanner wasn't on top of things, well he got what was coming to him, too, according to the records.

So now it's my responsiblity to clear out the remains (still in various states of life or death) and secure us from what may come in the future...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Apparently I have a poor sense of empathy. This is fortunate)

---

Fortunate that our former leaders saw fit to install vast swathes of cleverly-concealed cage traps throughout the grounds. The remaining Kea have been trapped (except for the one smashed to bits by the carpenter, Cerol. I would congratulate him, but he looks like he might snap at any moment. What can I say, I'm an engineer, not a shrink). I've issued standing orders that if it's dead and not a dwarf, it gets tossed off the tower into a shallow but secure and conveniently placed pit. This proved more difficult than anticipated, as many of the bits are no longer positively identifiable. I think I'm going to let the plebs sort that one out.

I am now surveying and securing the bounds of the fortress from future attack. I've ordered ramps removed and a drawbridge installed before the aerial trade depot. Fortunately the sky is not near so dangerous as the dead - the manager and local union leader, Nil Bomrektathtat, fell five floors during the removal of the present fixed bridge but broke only her right hand and a few ribs.  Our workers are still in quite sad shape, and more die each day from grievous wounds inflicted by the dead. I've stopped being surprised when a dwarf I saw yesterday no longer appear on the timesheets.

---

All hands are still busy today sorting the carnage throughout the halls and fields. Some have begun work to secure the walls.

My plans now are to order a few skilled workers to begin carving some trinkets from the bones of our foes and encrusting them with gems to trade to the humans when they arrive. Actually, I'm not sure which bones are which at this point, but that's irrelevant. Also, we have none who are skilled in these trades. Well, they can learn.

I plan to personally engage in training some of these captive boars. There are nearly a dozen of them making a perpetual commotion (an annoyance) and stink (I've ceased to care) in the large dining hall cage. They will make a fine source of meat, a commodity which has been quite absent for some months.

---

It is now autumn.

The humans arrived in the late summer - with a large force of goblins on their heels. Olin was still linking the bridge (myself standing directly behind him, threatening to feed him to the Kea if he didn't work faster) as they poured up the ramps.  Almost before he was finished, I seized the lever, and the bridge was raised.  Goblins soared across the depot like...goblins, I guess, smacking into the opposite wall, unconsious. Unfortunately, so did one of the human's wagons. They refused to even see our goods, despite the fact that we had rescued them from certain death. I turned them right back out - I think we all know how that went for them.

Now that the walls are firm, let the fun begin.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2012, 12:55:14 pm »

Undoubtedly games and stories provide for imagination ability. I got it after joining this forum.
I have one query-- give me update about bmaczero arrangement please...
Cool, good to hear :).  Do you mean how the dwarf is named 'BMacZero'?  You can do that from the dwarf's "profile" page (V->Z).  The one right before the one screenshotted.  Press Y on this screen and you can nickname dwarves and customize their titles.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2012, 02:37:51 pm »

Rule of succession forts in Dwarf Fortress: Something will ALWAYS go HORRIBLY wrong.

I the mean time I do like this succession fort, unfortunately I do not deem myself competent enough to deal with a fortress in  a situation like this, so I probably will not sign up for a term.

I wonder, have any of the peeps who requested dwarfing been dwarfed?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2012, 09:33:33 am »

How goes it?

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2012, 03:42:11 pm »

Just finished spending the whole weekend making a game in 48 hours, should be able to get back to it now.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:00:39 pm by bmaczero »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2012, 12:58:05 am »

links Broken, i think you were pointing towards "http://www.ludumdare.com" or something like that?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2012, 10:02:21 pm »

Hmm, you're right.  Not used to the bbcode semantics on this forum.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:55 am »

Alright, I didn't make it all the way through my turn, and I didn't get enough time to build my fun little boar-related project, but I'm going to be gone again this weekend, so I'll let you guys keep it moving:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6852

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:25 am »

Next up is MarcAFK.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23