Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyscrapes 2: Height of the Living Dead (succession)  (Read 71660 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Scrape Harder! (succession)
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2012, 12:44:45 am »

OMG i'm up! I 'll open it up for a look-see, and hopefully get started in earnest tonight.
EDIT: Well this is certainly the cleanest looking succession fort I've ever taken a look at, things are pretty neat and tidy and i see lots of potential.
I need to find somewhere suitable for quarrying, i'll need a lot of stone for construction, if i have time i would like to move workshops and stuff around and make things a bit neater.
But first i should deal with the undead, maybe pit them and atom smash?
Also i think the south side of the map should be sealed off to prevent undead from reaching the walkways on top of the unfinished towers.
ok it's a bit late for that, they're all over those towers, i'll need a military to clean the place up while constructing, that's a bit of a problem.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:44:20 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2012, 10:25:26 pm »

Huzza!  I love the smell of progress in the morning.

I haven't downloaded the save, so I don't know how far bmaczero made it through his year, but you're welcome to wrap up his year and then play to the next spring, if you like.  Might give you more time to quarry and construct.
At last, she is done.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2012, 01:29:17 am »

Theres a month left of winter, i won't feel too bad finishing it off.
I'm having trouble with the burrows, i can't get anyone to mine anywhere unless it's set to the 'inside' burrow, but as far as i can see nobody is actually assigned to that burrow.
Also i was moving all the zombies to the cage upstairs but after a few were moved they just stopped, is there a weight or contents limit to cages now?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2012, 01:54:38 am »

There's probably an alert that sticks everybody in the burrow.

Check the civilian alerts.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2012, 12:48:17 am »

Apologies for the lack of updates, fathers day was pretty busy and i was rather worn out last night.
I'll edit this post as i update.
Edit: Damn, what is with all the cancel spam, is this related to the new stockpiles? nvm, those stones aren't inside the burrows, so they're being cancelled.Also it seems the 3 wheelbarrow limit might be causing this, i've noticed only 3 dwarves will shift these stones at a time.
I wanted to take some nice screenshots but stonesense isn't cooperating with the fullscreen thing, so i'll just do some classic ascii stuff.

Our Illustrious fort, notice the decent population of Soon to be masons/temporary militia.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
First Up, I've Swapped labours around to get myself 6 pump operators Volunteers for the military, Of course we don't have the weapons and armour for them so they'll be miners, wood cutters, and masons untill i can get some more stuff sorted for them.
We see here the most exciting part of the fort, the cages full of captive necromancers and wild animals, also the currently useless corpse pit, we'll need to do something about the lack of suitable marksdwarf training fortifications, and the lack of emergency Atom smasher.
Here we see the feather wood cage currently holding almost 5000 urists of captive corpse parts, nothing unusual about that at all.
Next i notice Starving animals and not enough Pasture space for all the yaks, i butcher one bull.
Edit: Too late, both bulls starve to death.
A random woodcutter shows up somehow, and starts attacking An engraver
Rip Alath Nubamzaneg
There seems to be a nice garden channeled into this hill, several dorfs are just chilling out,it seems the woodctter was hiding on the stairs up there or something.
The woodcutter is finally struck down, also nobody is getting much work done because of a severed peasent hand outside on the dome under the main enterance.
I forgot to remove the dump upstairs when i stripped the caged prisoners of their weapons and armour, ill have to get somewhat creative with cage traps to retrieve those 'iron helm's and 'copper shield's
EDIT: It seems my internet connection is seriously bad, i'm having alot of trouble even loading the forum to update my posts.
EDIT: I'm, still having trouble with the burrows, cant seem to get anyone to dig out more galena downstairs, or build anything outside.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:53:58 am by MarcAFK »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »

bump
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 13, 2012, 10:37:51 pm »

How are you doing?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Betelgeuse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2012, 06:59:21 pm »

Bumpity bump bump

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2012, 11:31:32 pm »

This succession fort is having a heck of a hard time getting off the ground.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2012, 12:55:51 am »

Uhgoddamnit, I seriously didn't mean to abandon the fort like this, I lost a few days trying to come to grips with the burrows, then after deleting them i realised my militia had used my picks and they were now unavailable for digging, then i've been unable to get online for about a week due in part to a faulty wall socket dragging my net down every couple of minutes ,and finally work's been a bitch for the last week, if everyone's happy waiting i'll have the year finished up by tomorrow, pinky swear and everything.
I seriously need to stop signing up to succession forts, my failure rate now is 3/3. :'(

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2012, 08:01:13 am »

Go for it, man. Glad to hear you've made so much progress.
At last, she is done.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2012, 09:10:20 pm »

It appears we need to remove one of MarcAFK's Pinkies.

How shall it be done? Magma?
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:10 pm »

Zombie Giant Sponge, the bluntest tool in the world.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2012, 07:47:31 pm »

Zombie Giant Sponge, the bluntest tool in the world.
It appears we have to remove his entire hand now. I vote it to be done via super-heated slade ballista arrow. The pain shall be immense.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2012, 10:09:09 am »

Getting there, i really should have taken more screenshots.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 23