Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mining drop rates  (Read 5995 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Mining drop rates
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 10:14:17 pm »

It's horrible. And coal has been made less viable for those of us who don't get to magma right away.

having so many excess bars means you absolutly NEED magma because it'll be a matter of beds or coal eventually. And because I'm afraid of cave ins killing my miners, and now I won't even have what I need to secure a pipe if I find one.

And I relied on stone crafting to trade, so that's basically been made redundant. Can't use it to trade when I barely have enough to make a few doors and food containers.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 10:17:38 pm »

Don't use the smooth, channel & carve fortification method of tapping into pipes and volcanos now.  The magma generates mist when it flows into the channel in front of the fortification, and sets the mason on fire even if he stands in the correct location and moves away immediately.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 10:29:40 pm »

Does anybody besides me foresee Toady creating different designations for "mining" versus "digging" to address this?

Digging = Clear that rock, I don't care if I get anything.
Mining = Carefully (slowly) cut rock into boulders, for further use, 1 per tile every time.

Whenever a new feature creates bugs, why fix the bugs when you can add yet another (bugged) feature, eh?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 10:31:36 pm »

Actually that sound pretty good. If needed, you can cut vast swathes, regardless of what you get, or take a very slow appraoch to get the stones/ores you want or need.

Genius.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 11:14:38 pm »

ores are good and all, but any sort of mass stone crafts industry is doomed.

I keep thinking the 'fix' is to ask if stonecrafts could use -blocks-.

All of the stonecrafts are puny compared to a 2x2x3m boulder anyway. Making a *Gabbro Ring* from that type of stone seems silly. But 'blocks' are a much more reasonable size ... and we get four times as many of them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 11:25:26 pm »

Genius.

JTTCOTE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 11:55:26 pm »

Wait, is this just in the new version with minecarts? And is it an equal chance with a dabbling or legendary miner? Can you make crafts from rock blocks?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 11:59:15 pm »

drops aren't skill connected, which basically renders legendary miners moot save for speed.

And no, but that'd be awesome.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:47 am »

You could add an additional reaction to deal with the drop problem, a Process Boulder reaction that would remove the 256 urist boulder and replace it with five 50 urist stones.  Each stone would be too small to process into a block, but not too small to use for a craft or for the forges. (In the case of flux and lignite)

It ain't perfect, but it might be better.

Of course, I neither use a great deal of stone crafts or have the fortune of encountering coal most days, so take my weak tea advice with care.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 12:31:08 am »

as for the flux issue, you could change it so pig iron reaction and steel reaction would require more bars but less fuel and flux for the reaction, producing more bars, for example instead of 1 iron bar+1 fuel+1 flux = 1 pig iron, make it 4 iron bars+2fuel+1flux = 4 pig iron. It makes producing small quantities harder though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 11:35:20 pm »

I'm not sure just what Toady is trying to get us to angle towards here. Cut down the trees, piss off the elves, rape the earth, make coal mines so big it would make an Australian blush, burn the lot and make some metals? Or is he just trying to promote the usefulness, safety and environmental friendliness of geo-thermal power when applied to smelting reactions via magma?

I'd never even thought that the words magma, environmental and friendliness would be used in the same sentence in DF. Well, unless it was like "We showed them our friendliness by dumping magma into their environmental containment chamber and watching them die."
It's a game. Have fun.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 03:54:03 am »

incidentally, this means that coal is now pretty much worthless.
uhm check the news :p
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 05:11:02 am »

posted this somewhere else too, but it is Extremely Easy to fix the amount of coke you get from lignite or bitumous coal

in the object raws, find reactions_smelter, find the coal, go to the PRODUCT tag and multiply by 4 the 3 in bitumous coal and the 2 in lignite. Now they produce equal to the ores again
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

peccan

• Bay Watcher
  • Ennen kuin pimeä tulee...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 03:03:03 am »

g3286676 date=1337137632]
I watched my miners taking out rows of ore along the edges of my well cisterns.  Out of 10 sphalerite, one dropped.  Out of seven galena, none dropped.  Quadrupling the yield of bars from ore does help, but the ore drops are not 25%.
[/quote]
You do realise your samples are laughably small in the face of !science! right? It's a 25% chance of drop, not hard-coded "one, two, three, drop". Depending on the coin tosses you could have 50 straight drops or 50 straight no-drops, or anything in between, but the longer you observe, the nearer the realised droprate gets to 25%.

(...) And I relied on stone crafting to trade, so that's basically been made redundant. Can't use it to trade when I barely have enough to make a few doors and food containers.
Forget about rock crafts, join the poultry industry. Meat, leather, bone crafts, bone crossbows and bolts, totems... Pitter-patter of tiny little featherballs... What more can you ask for? (Well, perhaps socks. But rocks don't make socks either.)

(...)

Digging = Clear that rock, I don't care if I get anything.
Mining = Carefully (slowly) cut rock into boulders, for further use, 1 per tile every time.

(...)
Oh yes PLEASE sir. Ideally, a setting to automatically "mine" toggled stones/ores even if designated for "digging".

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 03:07:09 am »

you DO realize this topic was about 2 months dead untill you posted in it?
Pages: 1 [2] 3