Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: (SPOILERS) Into The Breach!  (Read 8420 times)

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SPOILERS) Into The Breach!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 02:15:40 am »

Human caravan just arrived! XD

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 02:20:53 am »

Shiiiiiiiiit.

The ballistae redeemed themselves (over the corpses of 80 or so war dogs), but they're out of ammo.  100 ballistae arrows, and they are literally out.

The melee dwarves have been decimated - the demons tore the doors off and the brave idiots ran out to meet them instead of fighting under the arrow cover.

However, the demons have also been decimated, and they're now tangling with the handful of melee remaining and the war lions.  The marksdwarves are finally able to really pitch in, and they're just slaughtering them.  Legendary marksdwarves with an effectively unlimitted ammo supply are fearsome indeed, but this is going to be painfully close.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 02:22:59 am »

Goblin ambush!?  Now!?  Whatever, they can have fun with the caravan guards.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 02:23:52 am »

PTW
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 02:29:36 am »

Crap, crap, crap.  The melee dwarves are gone, the dogs are gone, the lions are gone, the siege operators are gone, all that's left are the marksdwarves and the demons just tore the doors off the archery posts.

On the upshot, I've got about 15 combat-capable dwarves left, and they're working in teams (albeit accidentally) - one brave dwarf bludgeons while the other stands back and shoots.  I just have 5 demons left, if I can take them out, I've won!

Backup plan is to mass-recruit everybody - I wasn't thinking about it before, but I've got a big stockpile of slightly lesser-quality steel weapons and armor upstairs.  Fresh recruits in full steel should be able to pull down the last five, right?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 02:29:36 am »

Shiiiiiiiiit.

The ballistae redeemed themselves (over the corpses of 80 or so war dogs), but they're out of ammo.  100 ballistae arrows, and they are literally out.

The melee dwarves have been decimated - the demons tore the doors off and the brave idiots ran out to meet them instead of fighting under the arrow cover.

However, the demons have also been decimated, and they're now tangling with the handful of melee remaining and the war lions.  The marksdwarves are finally able to really pitch in, and they're just slaughtering them.  Legendary marksdwarves with an effectively unlimitted ammo supply are fearsome indeed, but this is going to be painfully close.

Yeah, a single dorf soldier vs.  a single demon isn't exactly a fair fight.  I'm actually quite surprised to see the demons numbers lowered that much, it seems your war animals deserve a place in Armok's personal kennel. 

Hope the marksdwarves turn the tide.  And tell us how you're gonna deal with the siege. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 02:41:50 am »

Holy shit.

We did it.  The slackers who went to grab a drink came back.  A trio of speardwarves and a legendary marksman, plus the other marksmen who were desperately fending off the beasts.  The corridors are a solid mess of gore, we lost *all* the war animals, but we did it.  I only hope we survive the aftermath - this is going to be an epic tantrum spiral.

The Main Corridor:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Last Stand of the Hounds:

The Survivors - I started with 40 military dwarves:

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 02:46:17 am »

Thank Armok you decided to train war animals beforehand.  This probably would have ended much worse had you not done that.

Nonetheless, I am quite impressed, having a somewhat intact military ( your soldiers must surely be legendary by now, right? ) is rare when opening up the HFS, when you look at all the other great forts that have done this, even with obsidianizers and other such stuff.

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 02:47:58 am »

Give the survivors a royal everything train some more and invade hell.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 02:50:49 am »

+1.  Set up a military base down there.  Make sure it's self sustaining.

All in all, well done, Sabreur. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 02:52:30 am »

Thank Armok you decided to train war animals beforehand.  This probably would have ended much worse had you not done that.

Nonetheless, I am quite impressed, having a somewhat intact military ( your soldiers must surely be legendary by now, right? ) is rare when opening up the HFS, when you look at all the other great forts that have done this, even with obsidianizers and other such stuff.

Okay, damage control time.

First up, wall off hell.  A single wandering demon could annihilate us at this point - I've got six military dwarves in various states of injury and misery.  Assuming we don't all go mad and start making sofa cushions out of each other, rebuilding the military and invading hell is the next step.  I was going to execute the fleeing dwarves for cowardice and reward the victors with gold-plated living rooms.  Since it turns out they did both, I guess I'll settle for letting them live.

I don't know what the hell happened outside, but the caravan is fine, there are crossbow bolts and gore everywhere, and it looks like a handful of goblins walked into my serrated disk traps and exploded.  So business as usual.

The real kicker is going to be the tantrums.  Pretty much all the military dwarves are pissed - the fight went on long enough for them to get seriously hungry and thirsty, as well as suffering serious injuries.  On the upside, I was worried my hospital couldn't hold all the wounded - not a problem anymore!  On the downside, I think I'm out of coffin space.

Really, really, really out of coffin space.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 02:56:07 am »

Quick, create a large dining room full of gold statues, tables, chairs, and what not.  Make ALL your dwarves dine there, hopefully you can get some happy thoughts.  Does gold really do anything to improve the quality? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 02:59:15 am »

No kidding.  I wasn't expecting much out of the dogs or the lions, since they neither of them can take on a kobold in a straight fight (seriously, I keep losing war animals to kobold ninjas).  But the dogs did what they were meant to do - die in droves while stalling for time.  The ballistae actually took out a couple demons and wounded many, many others - that's really the only reason we're still alive, I think.  I'd reward the siege operators, but they all got eaten when the doors to the archery rooms got ripped off their hinges.  Whoopsie.

The lions were the real star of the show, though.  They actually ganged up on several of the demons and dragged them down by sheer force of numbers.  From the looks of where they died, the syndromes and toxins did more damage than the demons themselves.  My poor uncovered kitties just couldn't handle all the toxic blood flying around, but they paid the butcher's bill before falling.

Quick, create a large dining room full of gold statues, tables, chairs, and what not.  Make ALL your dwarves dine there, hopefully you can get some happy thoughts.  Does gold really do anything to improve the quality? 

Er... already got one, actually.  My fortress is parked on some massive veins of natural gold.  Gold doesn't improve the *quality*, but it is so stupendously valuable that even a modest-quality piece of furniture can make a room legendary.  Every single dwarf in my fortress has the "Slept in a bedroom like a personal palace lately" thought.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 03:01:32 am »

So...is all this death really gonna cause a tantrum spiral?  Everyone knows that dwarves only grieve when they have nothing shiny to pay attention to. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 03:07:58 am »

So...is all this death really gonna cause a tantrum spiral?  Everyone knows that dwarves only grieve when they have nothing shiny to pay attention to.

I was worried about it at first, but apparently not!  I've got one dwarf at 'miserable', but she's one of the ones who refuses to put on pants and then gets mad because she doesn't have any pants on.  So she was probably a lost cause anyways.  There are a couple more at 'unhappy', but as long as I get their dead friends and family into coffins they should be fine in a couple months.

Right now though, I think I need food, drink, and sleep.  That was more intense than I was expecting, and I was expecting something pretty epic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4