Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: (SPOILERS) Into The Breach!  (Read 8427 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: (SPOILERS) Into The Breach!
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 03:16:02 am »

Just goes to show, in Dwarf Fortress, when you think you're prepared, demons will rape you. 

Although in your case, I'll add an "almost". 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 03:54:10 am »

Good job. I honestly thought you were screwed when you proclaimed you were using the notoriously-hopeless ballistae and a militia composed of steel-equipped legendary marksdwarves and mixed-skill melee dwarves. Demons are legendary in all combat skills by nature and have incredible stats and body size, so there's literally no hope for a low-skill nobody to touch them or survive their blows. Adamantine armor, copper shields, and an army of legendary warriors with adamantine battleaxes and spears is usually the best way to go. Having those marksmen involved was a good tactic, as was the war lions, but as you can see, it probably could have gone better. :P

I'd suggest stationing the marksdwarves in fortified alcoves on the level above the melee combat chamber next time. If the walkways they're stationed in are only 1 tile wide and there is one squad stationed on either side of the room, they will have 100% coverage of the ground floor, firing form opposite sides, and nobody will be on the wrong side of the fortifications.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 04:55:01 am »

Damn...
That was a close one! good work, any of the lions earn names before they melted?

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 05:18:05 am »

Great read. Good to know your fort didn't go berserk after all those deaths.
What do you plan to do with all the toxic blood covered bodies?
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2012, 06:43:10 am »

You might want to consider flooding that tunnel a little to wash all the demon filth down into Hell.  Otherwise you might get syndrome !!Fun!!  Also congrats on taking out the Clown Car the true dwarven way - the genocide of your own soldiers and animal slaughter!  8)

Got anything planned for Hell now that the way's clear?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2012, 06:46:46 am »

You must bury the fallen soldiers in hell now.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2012, 06:51:40 am »

I'd say make a giant, paved, engraved graveyard that has gold(wealthy!)/silver(Semi-wealthy!)/steel(True Military Material!) paved onto the floor and walls and engraved, the sarcofagus's being made out of whatever you made the room with, then put all the dead military dwarves there.

And then make 6 5x5 stone room, smoothed, engraved, and with a stone coffin in the middle, and these get to be the tombs of the cowards/victors.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2012, 06:53:57 am »

If you were going to use ballista, you should've gone the full way and used a quantum dump on a crap ton of catapults, and why not the ballista too.

Turns them both into a flak cannon hallway.

Congrats though

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2012, 07:02:12 am »

Good christ, this is what makes me want to play the game again. But I doubt I have the patience to create a military so well trained.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2012, 07:04:04 am »

Novice Siege Operators with infinate ammo:

*Shows a ballista firing a arrow into the hallway, and the ballista is being reloaded as fast as it would in real life*

Legendary Siege Operators with infinate ammo:
*Shows a Dwarf Manning a Primative Gatling Cannon*
*Click* WHIIIIIIRRRRRR-DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA
Dwarf: AAAAHAHAHAHAHA!
*The gating cannon is firing into the same hallway, goblins being torn asunder*
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

pi_Age

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2012, 08:21:47 am »

epic!

But did your fps drop too much during it all? I want to do something similar but the 6 year fort with 230 dorfs died from fps before I could breach hell (I had a river, who is to blame I guess. Also, it was a pretty efficient fort, only 40 or so idlers along with 30 childs).

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2012, 02:29:12 pm »

Good job. I honestly thought you were screwed when you proclaimed you were using the notoriously-hopeless ballistae and a militia composed of steel-equipped legendary marksdwarves and mixed-skill melee dwarves. Demons are legendary in all combat skills by nature and have incredible stats and body size, so there's literally no hope for a low-skill nobody to touch them or survive their blows. Adamantine armor, copper shields, and an army of legendary warriors with adamantine battleaxes and spears is usually the best way to go. Having those marksmen involved was a good tactic, as was the war lions, but as you can see, it probably could have gone better. :P

I'd suggest stationing the marksdwarves in fortified alcoves on the level above the melee combat chamber next time. If the walkways they're stationed in are only 1 tile wide and there is one squad stationed on either side of the room, they will have 100% coverage of the ground floor, firing form opposite sides, and nobody will be on the wrong side of the fortifications.

Yeah.  If I was doing this again, I'd make sure my military was better trained.  The marksdwarves caused most the carnage, followed by my high-skill speardwarves.  The poor recruits died in droves without causing a scratch.  I'd also plan my fortifications better - I had two levels of archer alcoves (which I forgot to show in the screenshots), but the upper-floor alcove did much better than the ground-floor one.  I'd also wait until I had giant war animals available.  My war animals were intended to be a diversion, but the larger lions actually managed to take down a few enemies.  A force of giant lions seems like it could be pretty potent.

Damn...
That was a close one! good work, any of the lions earn names before they melted?

A couple, yeah.  Single-name nicknames only, but still pretty impressive under the circumstances.  None of the dogs earned names, all they did was hold the demons down while the ballistae went to work.

Great read. Good to know your fort didn't go berserk after all those deaths.
What do you plan to do with all the toxic blood covered bodies?
You might want to consider flooding that tunnel a little to wash all the demon filth down into Hell.

My clothier has been cranking out gloves for years, and as far as I'm aware every single dwarf in the fortress is wearing them (except Miss I'm Too Sexy For My Pants).  So I think I can get all my casualties buried without actually, you know, touching them.  The dwarven bathtub in the hallway should keep any of it from being tracked back into the fortress proper.  That'll get my soldiers into coffins at least so I don't end up with a bajillon ghosts haunting the fortress.  After that... I think I'm going to literally wall off that corridor until I can flood it.

epic!

But did your fps drop too much during it all? I want to do something similar but the 6 year fort with 230 dorfs died from fps before I could breach hell (I had a river, who is to blame I guess. Also, it was a pretty efficient fort, only 40 or so idlers along with 30 childs).

I capped my fort's population at 100 to keep things running smoothly, and I've been heavily abusing dfhack's 'autodump destroy' feature to remove miscellaneous items and corpses.  I'm trying to keep things fair by only removing corpses that had no chance of annoying my dwarves with miasma.  My fps dropped during the attack from 70 fps to about 35 or so, especially at the peak when I had over a hundred war animals running around.  The idea was that I would attempt to clear hell, then raise the pop cap back up to 200 if I was successful.

Got anything planned for Hell now that the way's clear?

Yes!  I'll have to deal with an underground river over the planned site, but I want to make an obsidian-lined shaft into hell, with a vampire mason at the bottom.  Prisoners, useless fishery worker migrants, and anybody who wastes a mood on an artifact craft item will be pitched into the abyss and stuffed into an obsidian coffin by the eternal keeper of the damned!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2012, 04:59:55 pm »

Nice, you should gave me a call, I have nice distractions valuable soldiers you could had used!

Next step: Watch as I try to copy you with kobold camp.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2012, 06:48:30 pm »

kobold camp.

Death, destruction and YOLO

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2012, 08:21:57 pm »

Sabreur, you don't want gloves, you need shoes.  Otherwise they'll step in the gunk and contract syndromes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4