Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: (SPOILERS) Into The Breach!  (Read 8422 times)

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(SPOILERS) Into The Breach!
« on: May 13, 2012, 01:28:55 am »

About to breach hell for the first time!  Well, technically my second - the first doesn't count due to an odd glitch that resulted in hell being completely empty.  In any case, I thought it would be fun to post on the forums as it happens.

Now, I originally thought there was no way I'd ever play DF, so I spoilered myself like mad by reading the wiki, the forums, and the various "Let's Play" games out there.  So I'm not going into this completely blind, even through it's my first attempt.

To keep this fun, I've decided to limit myself.  No cave-ins, obsidian traps, checkerboards, webbed cage traps, etc.  I've also limited myself to 'normal' training only - sparring and executing prisoners.  No danger rooms.  Between this and various casualties, my squads are a mix of skilled warriors and fresh recruits, with a handful of legendaries.  The exception is my marksdwarves, which are almost all legendary.

I've got the following preparations:

1.  40 soldiers, out of a fortress population of 103.  All are carrying masterwork steel weapons and armor, except for the six with silver hammers.  The number would be higher, but I've had an odd problem with my soldiers going insane due to nakedness, despite the fact that I'm drowning in fresh-made masterwork clothing and their fellow soldiers (in the same squad!) don't have any problems.
2.  An absurdly long corridor leading into the side of an adamantite spire.
3.  A set of three masterwork ballistae behind fortifications at the end of the corridor, manned by three legendary siege operators.
4.  A stack of 100 steel-tipped ballistae bolts.
5.  Halfway through the ballista corridor, there is a small alcove.  The alcove contains a cage stuffed full of my entire population of War Dogs.
6.  At the end of the corridor, the path takes a small jog to the side.  There, a series of small corridors provide entry into a room that will be stuffed full of my melee dwarves.
7.  Inside the melee room, there is a cage stuffed full of war lions.
8.  Behind and above the melee room, there are a pair of fortified firing positions stockpiled with high-quality silver bolts.
9.  Everything is sealed in - walls and floors have been used to ensure the only way into the fortress from below is through the defenses.
10.  A water trough is placed between the defensive line and the fortress itself.

The plan:
1.  Soldiers are ordered into the melee room and the archery posts.  The doors are locked behind them.  Siege operators are locked in with their ballistae.
2.  Urist McExpendable is given a copper pick and told to dig through the spire.  If I'm feeling nice, I'll make him a mason and have him try to wall himself into a little alcove once hell is breached.
3.  The demons pour into the only path out of the spire - the ballista corridor.  Siege operators open fire, hopefully thinning the horde.
4.  Once the demons hit the halfway point, the dogpocalyse cage is unleashed.  The dogs aren't expected to accomplish much, but they might take out some of the weaker demons.  More importantly, they will delay the horde in the ballista corridor while the siege operators continue to fire.
5.  The remaining demons enter the melee room.  The entrance to the room is split into a series of narrow corridors, hopefully keeping the press of numbers to a reasonable level.  The dwarven militia engages.
6.  The lion cage is opened.  Lions pack a bit more punch than dogs, but their main purpose here is to get in the demons' way.  Every attack directed at a lion is an attack that isn't directed at a dwarf, and their bite attack is strong enough that they can still do some serious harm if the demons ignore them.
7.  The whole time this is happening, archers will be raining bolts into the fray.
8.  Toxins and such will be taken care of when the survivors walk through the water trough on the way out.

I just had a goblin siege, so I should be free from any distractions for a while.  I'm preparing the breach now - preparations should take about 15 minutes.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: (SPOILERS) Into The Breach!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:35:34 am »

Posting to watch.
Good luck in your endeavour.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:37:19 am »

ehehehe... This is going to be !!FUN!!, I have no doubts. Your preparations will not stop the horde, or even put a dent in their number to slow them down. This is why we use cave-ins and obsidian casting. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:41:48 am »

Don't forget to show pics! Like, a before and after montage or something.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 01:42:48 am »

ehehehe... This is going to be !!FUN!!, I have no doubts. Your preparations will not stop the horde, or even put a dent in their number to slow them down. This is why we use cave-ins and obsidian casting. :P
ya never know.
dont forget what DS did in Weatherwires.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 01:44:34 am »

PTW.  Here's to hoping that a conventional military force, with tons of preparation, will suffice.

I'd probably be more confident about your chances if you turned ALL your melee dwarves legendary.  Do you have a backup plan if and when this plan fails? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 02:01:51 am »

Horrifying Screams come from the darkness below!

Uh... woah.  There are um... a lot of these guys.

The miner is currently running for his miserable life, the civilians are all burrowed upstairs, the soldiers are all in position (except for the dumbasses in The Earthen Organizations, who insist on standing in FRONT of the fortifications and not behind them...).

Let's see what we've got to deal with:

Lots of chicken devils.
Lots of chameleon devils.
Lots of "White Monsters", which appear to be salt creatures.
Lots and lots and LOTS of salt devils.  Freaking hell, there's more salt in here than a McDonalds.
Lots of snow fiends.
A handful of steam fiends.

I might have gotten very lucky - it looks like at least two thirds of these things are fragile materials like steam and salt.  The bad news is that it looks like the ones that are made of more solid stuff also have corrupted blood, so this could get really messy once things get into melee range.  The other bad news is that there are more than I was expecting - about 110 or so.

Welp, here we go.

BLOOD FOR ARMOK!

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 02:03:38 am »

Do you have a backup plan if and when this plan fails?

Run away sobbing while my masons frantically try to wall off the lower fortress.  Then continue to sob while my dwarves tantrum spiral, since they're all party-happy slackers who make friends with everyone.  There's no way this fort can survive the loss of 40% of its population in one go.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 02:04:11 am »

Oooh. I'm watching this. Closely. With both eyes. Here's hoping you can actually beat them with superior tactics and preparation because they sure got the firepower on their side. If this works I'm nicknaming my champion after you in all my forts from now on.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 02:05:45 am »

You sound really well prepared. Here's hoping your brave troops make it out okay.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 02:06:45 am »

Goddammit Morul Isenkeshkal, I don't care that you've got a few mood right now.  Yes, that's a lovely craft shop you commandeered.  I'm sure the yak bone amulet you make will look lovely when it's covered in your own entrails from the DEMONS COMING TO EAT US.

Miner still running.  He might make it to safety before the ballistae open up.

Might.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 02:08:10 am »

Miner is clear, first wave just hit the corridor!  Ballistae, fire at will!

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 02:10:49 am »

Note to self:  Ballistae are a WASTE OF ARMOK DAMNED TIME.  Three legendary operators, three master-crafted siege engines, and they can't fire straight to (literally) save their lives.

... blew the legs off a steam fiend with a lucky shot, so I guess not a *complete* waste.  They might fire a straight shot one of these days if I buy theme time.  RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 02:12:23 am »

Note to self:  Ballistae are a WASTE OF ARMOK DAMNED TIME.  Three legendary operators, three master-crafted siege engines, and they can't fire straight to (literally) save their lives.
Yeah siege engines became fairly worthless back around the DF2010 update. I would have warned you before you began, but I just arrived in the middle of this party and am closely following.

Also I'm betting the dogs take out maybe 5 of the weaker ones if they get lucky, 10 most.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 02:13:48 am »

AUGH they're in the melee room already!  Got a few lucky shots (finally), but even a direct hit barely wounds these things.  One of them just grabbed my militia captain and threw him back down the hallway.  He landed in a pile of six demons... at least it was quick.  Release the lions!

Note to self:  Find the puts who ran all the way back upstairs to eat and drink WHEN I HAD FOOD TWENTY STEPS AWAY and have him executed for incompetence.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4