Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The Elephant of DOOM! Version 2.0  (Read 32898 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: My first megaproject -- the Elephant of DOOM!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 08:10:38 pm »

Have you considered importing actual elephants (removing the grazer tag so as to allow them to not die), and using only their soap (or that of their calves) to make the elephant?

Which will, of course, be a...WHITE elephant.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 09:43:35 pm »

That though would require importing elephants from the elves, and we all know how reliable they can get when it comes to bringing creatures.

Still, if they do bring any caged elephants, they're definitely going to get bought and slaughtered.  They'll have plenty of fat to boil down into soap.  I'm not going to worry about removing the grazer tags, but having elephant soap in this thing would be cool.  I've already started on the legs, so there's a mix of dingo soap, giant dingo soap, donkey soap, horse soap, and several other types of soap in it.   I might even save the elephant soap bars for a special part of the thing if I get some.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 09:46:35 pm »

Use DFhack to fix merchants and diplomats, so when elves come you can request elephants.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 11:54:12 pm »

Fixmerchants only fixes humans.  The elves don't have trade representatives in the game anyway, apparently.

And fixdiplomats isn't getting run (fixmerchants was ran, and I just told the humans what they should be bringing me next year), because I don't need tree quotas in place when I'll likely need to make thousands of bars of soap.

Fortressdeath

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 01:35:47 am »

Did you consider bolt&magma filled minecart-spitting elephant instead of just magma-spewing one? This elephant looks like he's going to eat enormous amounts of time, it may very well be that minecarts are out before it's finished!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 01:59:39 am »

Did you consider bolt&magma filled minecart-spitting elephant instead of just magma-spewing one? This elephant looks like he's going to eat enormous amounts of time, it may very well be that minecarts are out before it's finished!

Perhaps the project can continue as planned, and the minecart launcher be later added to the other end of the elephant.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 04:19:03 am »

That project sounds awesome.

But... why soap? I would personally made steel elephant, covered in gold or platinium and with gem details

Connal89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 04:54:26 am »

But... why soap? I would personally made steel elephant, covered in gold or platinium and with gem details

If I had to guess one because soap is more ridiculous and two because it would be horrible to get half way through it only to find out that you completely whiffed your numbers and you're actually nearly 1000 ore or flux short of making your steel elephant. That sort or shit doesn't breed or grow so short of melting down entire caravans your stuck twiddling your thumbs once you've mined out all of it on your embark.

Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this. Once I've had all the candy I can possibly have and finished visiting the circus (I've been putting it off for a while now) I'm going to have to try a mega project myself. Good inspiration

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 02:40:15 am »

it may very well be that minecarts are out before it's finished!

What, you mean like today?  :P

Anyway, I want to make sure the useful utilities are properly updated before I switch to the new version.

If I had to guess one because soap is more ridiculous

Yes.

I mean there is somewhat of an added convenience with soap being more or less renewable, but really the big reason is that making something huge out of soap is just plain silly.  And that's the important thing.

Also, the outer part of the first level is complete!

The plan is to complete the outer shell, and then work on the innards.

Fortressdeath

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 02:58:12 pm »

If you can make war elephants (Haven't tried taming animals beyond basic dogs), then you should some sort of delivery system to drop them on invaders.  If any invaders make it through the magma. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 01:05:53 pm »

If you can make war elephants (Haven't tried taming animals beyond basic dogs), then you should some sort of delivery system to drop them on invaders.  If any invaders make it through the magma.

Sadly drop pods are no longer viable.

That said, falling creatures now cause damage to both the victim and the perpetrator, so Elephant bombs are now viable.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 01:08:34 pm »

Sadly drop pods are no longer viable.

That said, falling creatures now cause damage to both the victim and the perpetrator, so Elephant bombs are now viable.

great idea
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 01:41:04 am »

hmm... Have you checked to be sure your elephant's trunk will be thick enough to enclose the magma properly? You'd need only a 3x3 space if it's straight, but the trunk curves and you've got to close off leaks (because liquids can travel diagonally), meaning at least 4x4 at the thickest. I'd suggest planning it out block-by-block first to be absolutely sure you don't need to change the scale of the whole elephant in order to get the plumbing to work right.

Another thought--bigger is probably also better because the more blocks you use, the better "resolution" you get on the whole thing. Think of each block as a square pixel... Then again you have to factor in your own attention span.

BTW, when weaponizing magma remember to make sure it can't flow down into the fort. I did that once and the entire thing ended in a spectacular magma flood. All for want of a single hatch cover...  :-[

Hey... can you direct invaders through the elephant's back legs, drop elephants on them from its rear end, and then pour magma on them from the trunk? Not only do you get to see elephants go splat, but your magma will clean up the mess afterward!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:43:30 am by Callista »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 08:24:59 am »

Work progresses:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically settling into the routines here.  The industries are starting to run smoothly, and I've got enough labor for my needs.  Life is still pretty uneventful.  Back at the beginning of the current year, some undead chinchillas wandered out of the evil zone and cancelled a bunch of jobs.  Some quick conscription ended that "threat" fast.  There's an annoying echidna that keeps wandering around the map cancelling jobs on me too. 

Fortressdeath

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »

Hey... can you direct invaders through the elephant's back legs, drop elephants on them from its rear end, and then pour magma on them from the trunk? Not only do you get to see elephants go splat, but your magma will clean up the mess afterward!
It's made out of soap, it should be a monument to cleanliness :p
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7