Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Elephant of DOOM! Version 2.0  (Read 32899 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first megaproject -- the Elephant of DOOM!
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2012, 02:04:18 am »

Here we have an accident waiting to happen:

That black square is a minecart that just got pushed.  (I genned the world back in 34.07 so it doesn't properly display the minecarts or wheelbarrows, I do like the way the tracks look though.)  See which way it's going?  Even better yet, that peasant walking past the smelter there, she pushed the minecart after guiding it back up from the depths, and that stupid kid is her daughter.  Let's see what happens...
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 02:13:25 am »

Stupid kid.  She moved one tile to the northeast, then walked back onto the track for the minecart to hit her.  We've got a dorf in training here, folks.

Wait a minute...this is Tholtig Whimsmansions.  She was the first dorf to get hit by a minecart in this fort (look a few posts above).  Does she enjoy it or something?

Fortressdeath

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 06:35:28 am »

Well at least it was feather-wood and not made of Lead. In fact I think thats the lightest material you can make minecarts of. Even candy is denser than featherwood.

Urist McPenguinhead

• Bay Watcher
  • dungeon master with questionable motives
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 07:14:10 am »

I suspect this will be pure awesome when you're done :D can't wait to see it finished

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »

This seems Dwarfy.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 03:36:32 pm »

One thought. You should probably scrape those ramps off the mountain near the one end of the moat. Otherwise any attackers will just path through there and completely avoid your elephant.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2012, 04:23:49 pm »

That problem should already be taken care of.  I couldn't remove the east and south ramps on the mountain on the ground level because they're on the map edge.  Instead, I removed nearly all the ramps on the next level up, but there are still some ramps in the elephant yard so my dwarves can reach spots on the mountainside.

Fortressdeath

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2012, 06:37:41 pm »

Ah, I see it now. I just meant that from the front it provided alternate access. Cool.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 10:55:32 pm »

Ladies and gentledorfs:

We have reached the belly of the beast:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first 13 levels have been completed, and we've finished the lowest level of the elephant's actual body.  There's about 21 more levels in the outer shell to complete.  Currently the middle of early autumn in year 106.

Not much else happening in the fort.  I set up a minecart route from the foundry level all the way down to the bottom of the magma sea and back for ore delivery.  I managed to complete it by the end of spring and managed to get it fully operational.  Cavern layer 2 was breached and I'm working on some defenses and fortifications there.  Some crundles managed to slip into the fort while I was doing this, so I sent all the melee units down there to wipe them out.  Another crundle storm appeared, but they entered on the south side of the map just west of the volcano where access to the rest of the cavern is blocked by a pair of ponds.

Fortressdeath

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2012, 07:37:36 pm »

It's appropriately phallic. And full of doom.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2012, 10:41:31 pm »

We have reached the belly of the beast:
yeah, the "belly"... it looks a bit lower though...

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2012, 01:46:01 am »

No, that's the first level of the underside of the elephant, it will get wider over the next several levels.  I didn't bother with any sort of gender attributes on this thing, the scale's a bit small for it not to look silly, it'll be hard to notice in the game itself, and probably not visible with the usual angle Stonesense uses.  Maybe it would be visible with Fortress Overseer, but I couldn't get that program to run on my computer.

And Tholtig Whimsmansions will play with minecarts no more.  I've been removing the original scaffolding and replacing it with a new system, since dwarves now happily deconstruct crap so it will fall on thier heads and injure them.  Better to do it now with only with only 14 levels of scaffold, instead of the 20 more I'll need to complete this.  For the evulz expediency, I designated a stair on a hind leg to be removed so that 9 levels of stairs above it would collapse at once.  Tholtig volunteered, and the stairs collapsed on top of her and made her fall at least 3 or 4 levels to the ground with all the logs falling on top of her.  Needless to say, she did not survive.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 01:53:20 am by orius »

Fortressdeath

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2012, 03:17:36 am »

I was talking about the entire elephant of doom. The alternative would just be downright awkward.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2012, 01:03:03 am »

Year 107.

Map

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Up to level 16 now.  Right now I'm putting the scaffolding in place to construct the walls.  Next level is the bottom of the trunk.  The elephant's head should start somewhere around level 20.

Not much happening.  Some dwarves got injured in the old scaffolding removal process, though I kind of didn't care, since half of them were kids.  One of the masons however deconstructed a scaffold on level 15 the stupid way, that is he stood on the far end where he'd fall 15 levels when he he was done taking it apart.  I think he deliberately did that so he'd at least end up in the hospital and not have to get hurt by my recklessness in construction for at least the next several months.

Also an accidental birdsplosion.  The food storage areas are overloaded with food, and there's no more room to store eggs.  So they didn't get collected and ended up hatching.  I've got about 60 peachicks and 70 poults that are getting rounded up and caged.  Normally, I lock some of the coops in early spring for breeding, but not doing it this year, got the offspring early.  In addition, the emu breeding program is continuing along.  The chicks have matured and the females have been nestboxed in the hope that they can spawn some fully tamed females.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:06:33 am by orius »

Fortressdeath

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2012, 01:03:14 pm »

New idea: Fill the non-magama part of the elephant with birds!  Put some nest boxes somewhere where they won't drop down, along with some other birds, and you have renewable ammo!

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7