Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Elephant of DOOM! Version 2.0  (Read 32891 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first megaproject -- the Elephant of DOOM!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 10:57:33 am »

So I've been trying to figure out minecarts.  I set up a basic track and started a ramp, and then created a burrow on the tracks and told all the kids to go stand there.  But when I put a minecart on the tracks and told the dorfs to push it, they only sent it down one level and it stopped there.  I ignored it and went back to other parts of the fort that needed attention.

Anyway, I get a combat announcement, and checked it out.  Looks like the minecart got pushed or moved on its own or something.  It also ran over one of the kids:

The injuries were seriously dissapointing, just a broken hand and some bruises on the upper body.  Well, the doctors need some practice anyway.

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 04:58:07 pm »

Update time!

We've finally reached year 105, and have finished four full years of construction on the fort.  To celebrate, the DF Map Archive has the first full map of Vagúshfer Ekurgòstangsaràmïlul Ziril, Killerbeast the Mighty Awe-inspiring Great-Lord of Fire, built by the Crafts of Soap (I may have chosen some names at embark).

Here our work gangs prepare to excavate the moat that will be used to hold the magma dumped upon our foes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

An overview of the construction that has been completed, we're about halfway up the legs now:

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 07:17:10 pm »

Year 106.

Map

Current view of the project:

Another year of toil has ended, and the Crafts of Soap celebrate the beginning of their 6th year at this site.  The settlement has gone from being a tiny outpost to a significant dwarven city and duchy belonging to the civilization known as the Rock of Fortune.  The elephant grows ever higher while the mines slowly extend deep into the earth.  The mineral deposits in the volcano's cone have been mostly exhausted except for some remaining zinc veins, and the dwarves have begun to delve deep into the earth to find more iron and gold.  Work has begun on a rail system that will extend into the depths, but it will take quite some time to build, and the extent of the third cavern hasn't been fully plumbed.

The dwarves managed to successfully capture much of one of the emu storms that swarm across the map and managed to tame them.  A tame female skunk was purchased from the elves, while several more were caught and tamed.  A female emu was given a nest box, while the skunk was pastured in the animal pens, and a male for each was placed in the sporing chamber in the hopes of producing offspring.  Unfortunately, during the late autumn, the male emu reverted and killed the skunk.  Not all was lost though, near the end of the year the female skunk gave birth to several young giving the fortress a viable breeding population of skunks.  Now we must decide whether to use the skunks for meat or cage them up to be released against invaders.  The emu's clutch of eggs also hatched, and one of the males was born perfectly tamed.  The others are still somewhat feral, so they went into a seperate cage to await maturation.  With luck, we should soon have a viable breeding population of emus to suppliment the domestic poultry we've slowly obtained.

Shit.

This was my best engraver.  I spent many months training him by smoothing over various floors and walls so he'd be a highly skilled artisan.  Then the fool goes and stands on one of the minecart tracks and gets hit in the head.  Speaking of deaths, a miner who got grievously wounded in a cave-in nearly two years earlier was finally put out of my his misery.  He had a broken elbow that refused to heal and he was simply spending months in traction doing nothing.  Even when the traction bench was removed, his injury did not heal, and he simply returned to the hospital.   Finally, I deconstructed nearly every piece of furniture in the hospital and told him to go stand under the atom smasher.  The only bed left in the hospital was where a foolish child that got hit by a minecart (because she was apparently playing on the tracks in the upper part of the mountain for no good reason) was being treated.

Fortressdeath

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 09:46:28 pm »

Thanks for the updates!
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Dragofer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 05:20:56 am »

Just a little tip which you might like to use if you arent already, to do with quickly constructing towers.

Building a staircase next to the tower/leg, and then from there building bridges along the walls can allow for the whole level of walls to be designated at once.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 05:53:46 pm »

Looks cool, be sure to post the save when you're done!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 07:44:11 pm »

You should add magma crabs to the magma fall and figure out a way to recycle the animals back to the start.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 02:29:11 am »

Looks cool, be sure to post the save when you're done!

I was planning on putting up a save as soon as the elephant is fully operational.  It will be reverted to ASCII so people can tileset it to their tastes.

You should add magma crabs to the magma fall and figure out a way to recycle the animals back to the start.

Won't work with the way I'm planning it.  The magma will be pumped out of the resevoir underneath the elephant through a grate to prevent magma imps and other irritations from getting into the fort, and there will be another grate in the trunk to block fliers from getting in.

Fortressdeath

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2012, 12:28:04 pm »

any screens how you're doing now?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2012, 04:02:49 pm »

Latest screenshot is at the top of the page and a few posts up.  I've only added a few more blocks to the legs since I posted that last pic.

Fortressdeath

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2012, 07:50:44 pm »

Keep us updated please, I'm interested as to how you go :)

Personally I would have done it out of either steel, or a combo of gold, silver, platinum, and gem windows, but soap is equally awesome :D
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

ClayMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2012, 10:52:43 pm »

Soap is a building miterial... aparitly

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 11:52:03 am »

Soap is a building miterial... aparitly
SOAP IS A TOTALLY LEGIT BUILDING MATERIAL.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 03:13:41 pm »

Personally I would have done it out of either steel, or a combo of gold, silver, platinum, and gem windows, but soap is equally awesome :D

That wouldn't be dwarfy enough though.  I am planning to use ruby gem windows for the eyes, and have the trunks tipped with gold, but those are just accents.

Fortressdeath

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 06:50:29 pm »

I love the idea of gold tipped trunks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7