Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: on worn clothing  (Read 9066 times)

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: on worn clothing
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 09:06:59 am »

If you allow refuse, even your steel armor will rot.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 09:12:54 am »

I sell all used clothes to the caravan. You just have to do a string search for the letter "x" and it will filter out everything but the used clothes (and, muskox leather items, sardonyxs, and battleaxes) for easy selection.

Unless they are inside a bin, then it won't show you a thing apart from bauxite etc ;p i so wish it would find stuff inside bins...makes it far easier and quicker when i wanna sell on large/small items instead of checking each one by hand.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

ab9rf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ab9rf@github
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 09:27:43 am »

Does that mean that enabling the refuse thing will damage/degrade/rot even the new clothing in the pile?
Yes.

What we really need is for Toady to improve the stockpile options to let us sort worn clothing from unworn clothing somehow.  Then I could designate a stockpile near the depot to only accept worn clothing.  That doesn't solve the problem of dwarfs stashing worn clothes in their cabinets, though.  I've thought about trying to do this within DFHack, but the only solution I've come up with is trying to synthesize "store item in stockpile/store item in bin" tasks to manually shuffle stockpiles and as of yet we don't know how to do that yet.  (We do kinda know how to mark items for trade.  Have to experiment with that.)

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 12:49:15 pm »

i stopped doing things like chopping my own wood and making my own dye, and to a lesser extent alcohol, because of the trade imbalance from worn clothing. im considering shutting down my food production in my current fort as well. since i give the caravans 2 or 3x profit on purchases of even 20 or 30k they bring *a lot* of crap. last dorf caravan was 7(!) wagons and more pack animals than i cared to count. i thought the wagons capped at 6.

the issue with how fast clothing wears and how much it is worth is a bit. . . skewed. . . and needs a rethink. clothing should last 2 or 3 times longer i think, and the value should degrade rapidly. also dorf should not care about mildly worn clothing.

i do agree that the trade interface needs a rewrite, preferably to something like the stocks screen, with a "select all" option.

of course all my forts die to the fps monster when they get to this point anyway, so if i had to prioritize fixes. . .
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 12:58:48 pm »

There are a few options for handling worn clothing.

Make a large clothing-only stockpile that accepts only clothing. Don't have anything else store clothing in the fortress. Go ahead and make it a big stockpile so it takes a long time to fill up. Periodically, donate all of the bins containing old clothes to the traders or dump them into magma.

Alternatively, make that clothing-only stockpile also a refuse stockpile, so it simply rots away on its own.

Either way, you need to continually produce new clothing at all times. You will get a lot of legendary weavers and tailors.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 01:00:24 pm »

also remember that the more masterworks a dwarf creates, the less of an impact each destruction inflicts.  Slowly, the craftsdwarves will stop caring about anything due solely to losing their creations.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 03:38:11 pm »

Regarding the refuse-stockpiling of masterworks: Wont the maker of the masterwork feel upset about it? It counts as "a masterwork of Urist McLegendaryClothier has been lost!" if I remember correctly.

Just comission 20 hoods, caps, trousers, socks, coats, cloaks, shoes, gloves, and mittens while at the same time throwing everything into magma.

Give the clothier a fancy room. If he goes mad, just train a new guy. Bonus points if the clothier is your mayor.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 03:43:03 pm »

I have a clothing workshop on repeat production of tunics, trousers, shoes, cloaks, and hoods.

The cloaks and hoods are not required to keep dwarves happy, but I like the extra layer of protection. Every little bit helps.

I seem to need about 1 clothing workshop on repeat production for about every 200 dwarves. It will just keep producing the clothing forever. The new stuff is then claimed right away, and the old stuff is hauled to the stockpiles for destruction or for trading fodder.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 04:21:35 pm »

Sell it.

XxclothingxX can usually be sold off without any issue. Merchants will even pay full price!

i am certain that increased wear results in reduced price.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 04:38:57 pm »

I've been doing some clothing science in my current fort. It seems that clothing will degrade at about one level per year. This seems reasonable to me, clothing in real life that is worn every day for a year will be at least slightly worn. However, I agree that slightly worn clothing should not give a bad thought. And the value of worn clothes really needs to be lowered. A lot.

As it is, if all you do is make pants, shirts and shoes for your dwarves, and you have a fort with 200 population, you will need to get rid of six hundred items of clothing per year. That is boring and tedious to manage. It also negates the need to produce anything else for trade. If you are creating enough clothing to keep your dwarfs from going insane, you WILL have several legendary clothiers producing very valuable clothes. You could easily buy out all the caravans many times over just with worn out clothing.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 04:45:43 pm »

A clothing shop on repeat production will be able to keep demand with around 200 dwarves. If you have 400 dwarves in your fortress you will probably need two clothing shops.

A single farmer workshop on repeat process plants, and maybe two looms should be enough to supply a clothing workshop. Then have a farm on growing pig tails or rope reeds all year round, or as often as you can manage, with a plant stockpile next to your farmer workshop.

You can put all of the clothing production buildings, including related stockpiles, together in the same area or building, as they're all related. If you keep everything close together things can be very efficient. 10 dwarves would probably be enough to cloth a fortress of 200 forever, while also producing infinite valuable trade goods. If you have 400 dwarves, you probably only need 15 dwarves in the entire clothing production chain, since the farming scales up well.

One 10x10 farm, one farmer workshop, two looms, two clothing workshops. To crew that production you probably need five workers, plus five haulers/farmers, and five dwarves sleeping or boozing. And that will keep about 400 dwarves in masterwork and stylish clothing forever.

Dwarves seem to have no problem wearing goblin clothing, so if you're murdering goblins by the siege, goblin clothing will supplement your own produced clothing. Any extras or any worn out clothes just go in bins for buying all metal objects from traders, or to chuck into the magma chute.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 05:05:58 pm »

Really wish there were a "mend clothing" option. It just removes the x's, and maybe bumps the quality down a level towards normal depending on the skill of the mending dorf.  Then, I'd like orders>>workshop orders>>auto-mend owned clothing.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 08:49:16 pm »

Really wish there were a "mend clothing" option. It just removes the x's, and maybe bumps the quality down a level towards normal depending on the skill of the mending dorf.  Then, I'd like orders>>workshop orders>>auto-mend owned clothing.

hey, that's a good idea.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 11:56:11 pm »

I've been doing some clothing science in my current fort. It seems that clothing will degrade at about one level per year. This seems reasonable to me, clothing in real life that is worn every day for a year will be at least slightly worn. However, I agree that slightly worn clothing should not give a bad thought. And the value of worn clothes really needs to be lowered. A lot.

As it is, if all you do is make pants, shirts and shoes for your dwarves, and you have a fort with 200 population, you will need to get rid of six hundred items of clothing per year. That is boring and tedious to manage. It also negates the need to produce anything else for trade. If you are creating enough clothing to keep your dwarfs from going insane, you WILL have several legendary clothiers producing very valuable clothes. You could easily buy out all the caravans many times over just with worn out clothing.

Clothing seems to degrade by how much the dorf is actually doing things. IE i have a few vamps locked up, not moving hardly for a few years and their clothes are still new.

Certainly need a stockpile option for x and above clothing.

I agree with clothing value, with worn and large/small clothing from siege i can buy anything i want. Stonecrafters etc are essentially worthless after the 1st year or so, to the point where i wonder why i even bother having them anymore. And damn i won't even go into cooked food prices ;p
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 12:45:46 am »

However, I agree that slightly worn clothing should not give a bad thought.
Your xClothingx will not give bad thoughts, only XClothingX and XXClothingXX gives bad thoughts.

I trade away anything with a capital X around it.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
Pages: 1 [2] 3