Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: on worn clothing  (Read 9064 times)

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
on worn clothing
« on: May 08, 2012, 07:43:23 pm »

i am observing this for a while now:

the dorfs want clothing. so i produce clothing. the clothing becomes xclothingx and the dorfs start complaining about tattered and old clothing. so i dump the xclothingx and produce more. as the clothiers get better and better they produce more and more ☼clothing☼. if i were to dump (and incinerate) the vast amounts of XX☼clothing☼XX i have laying around the clothiers would instantly go mental. but otherwise the complaining in the general population rises...

is there any other way besides transforming the trading depot into a second hand clothing shop to resolve this?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:46:48 pm by nopil3os »
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: on worn clothing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 07:48:09 pm »

One option would be to just dig a big room and put a stockpile for masterwork clothing in it. When it fills up with XX☼clothing☼XX, dig a bigger one. Eventually you would start running into FPS issues with too many items lying about though.

Another option is to put your master clothiers into the military and get them killed off. Then you can freely destroy all their stuff while you train up new clothiers. ;)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:52:06 pm »

Sell it.

XxclothingxX can usually be sold off without any issue. Merchants will even pay full price!

Another method is to enable "refuse" on the finished goods stockpile, then forbid all the options inside.  This way the clothes will rot naturally once they start showing wear.

I prefer to sell them though, as expensive, well dyed clothing fetches a fantastic trade balance, and gets big caravans to pick over.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 08:02:45 pm »

yeah but what do you trade it FOR?
I guess you could just offer it.
I'm at the stage where I don't really need the caravans any more, but buy the occasional steel armour or weapon.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:07:46 pm »

Sell it.

that's what i'm doing right now, unfortunately this introduces way too much micromanagement related to clothing for my taste. and i can only trade once a year (no humans nearby and at war with the elves)

as for letting it rot in a stockpile, that takes too long to balance with the new stuff starting to wear. and i'm not sure about that but does masterfull stuff rotting away not produce unhappy thoughts as well?
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 09:05:47 pm »

Rot induced loss does not incur bad thoughts.

As for what to trade for?

ANYTHING made from metal. Metal objects can be melted down for bars, and humans especially are fond of bringing metal tools. (Pots, nest boxes, cauldrons, kitchen cleavers, etc.) Their large armor is good for this purpose as well.  The high prices from these items is meaningless, since you are liquidating garbage anway. (Specifically, "lost" value incurred from melting down a masterwork large steel breastplate into steel bars of lesser value will always be less than the value lost by destroying the clothing with magma. Rather than count it as a loss of value, consider it a partial recovery of value from the rotten and worthless clothing.)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 11:29:22 pm »

Another method is to enable "refuse" on the finished goods stockpile, then forbid all the options inside.  This way the clothes will rot naturally once they start showing wear.

THAT, is a SUPER neat trick. I had no idea it would do that. Or rather, I guess I just didn't understand the mechanic or see it in action enough for the lightbulb to go on. There are times I just don't want to go to the trouble of going through miles long trade lists to dump the worn clothing. Now I know I can just enable refuse, forbid all types, and watch it behave like a normal refuse pile. Thanks Wierd!

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 11:42:04 pm »

I sell all used clothes to the caravan. You just have to do a string search for the letter "x" and it will filter out everything but the used clothes (and, muskox leather items, sardonyxs, and battleaxes) for easy selection.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 11:43:59 pm »

I sell all used clothes to the caravan. You just have to do a string search for the letter "x" and it will filter out everything but the used clothes (and, muskox leather items, sardonyxs, and battleaxes) for easy selection.

I truly need to make more use of the string search in trade, thanks for that reminder :D

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 01:47:38 am »

Also the severed left arm of Boxorox the Troll.

I've been doing this for a while.  Another useful feature -- any item that can show xX=Wear=Xx, is an item that can be safely traded to the elves.   Since the elven caravan comes about 6 months after the dwarven one, you'll have half a year of worn clothing to dump on them, more than enough to buy out anything you might want from them.

The elves aren't (just) hippies, they're your garbagemen. 

Er, garbageelves.
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 01:57:20 am »

Not completely true I don't think.

I'm not sure if elves still bug out over blood and leather or not... I learned to be festidious in 40d, and have seen no compelling reason to relax it, so I would be wary of selling a Xxkitten leather thongxX to the elven caravan.  They might get offended, and leave 6mo worth of garbage for you to deal with yourself.

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 02:56:55 am »

Not completely true I don't think.

I'm not sure if elves still bug out over blood and leather or not... I learned to be festidious in 40d, and have seen no compelling reason to relax it, so I would be wary of selling a Xxkitten leather thongxX to the elven caravan.  They might get offended, and leave 6mo worth of garbage for you to deal with yourself.
screw the elves
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 04:55:44 am »

Elves buy leather, meat, totems and other animal by-products without problems. They are angry at wooden things and stuff like clear glass and crystal glass. But they don't have too much to offer - logs, some animals, cloth, dyes, valley herbs, arrows if you like bows and maybe food if you need that.  You could buy all that with one or two golden salve green glass vials. Also, the string filter when trading doesn't include the "X" items in bins. And I have most clothing in bins. Still, I dispose of clothes mainly through trading.

I don't use the refuse trick because my dwarves are really slow when picking even masterwork items for themselves, and refuse pile is very quick when it comes to damaging said items.

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 07:46:27 am »

as i said earlier: i am kinda at war with the treefolk...
i'll try therefuse furniture stockpile trick though. thanks for that suggestion wierd and sorry for my late reply to that. i think i didn't quite get it last night

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 08:44:35 am »

I don't use the refuse trick because my dwarves are really slow when picking even masterwork items for themselves, and refuse pile is very quick when it comes to damaging said items.

Does that mean that enabling the refuse thing will damage/degrade/rot even the new clothing in the pile? I was thinking that it worked to rot only already damaged clothing. If I misunderstood, and it will rot any clothing, even the new stuff, then that's a bummer. Although, it might work wonderfully in the next release where you can better control stockpiles and where they go but...still. Maybe it's time for some !!Science!! in my fortress!
Pages: [1] 2 3