Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: See, I told the judge it wasn't just me.  (Read 7717 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: See, I told the judge it wasn't just me.
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2012, 05:21:50 pm »

I wonder how fast they'd break out the attack helicopters if I drove on that highway...
I don't think it's a matter of the roads being closed off so much as there just being very few drivers in the country due to high gasoline prices and/or a lack of cars.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2012, 05:45:56 pm »

I know the subject was dropped a while ago, but I'm pretty sure engine displacement is a measure of the total volume of the cylinders, to be displaced by each piston.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2012, 05:55:51 pm »

I wonder how fast they'd break out the attack helicopters if I drove on that highway...
I don't think it's a matter of the roads being closed off so much as there just being very few drivers in the country due to high gasoline prices and/or a lack of cars.
If I were handed a deserted stretch of relatively well maintained highway, I'd do my damnedest to hit the highest speed I could.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2012, 09:09:39 pm »

https://www.google.com/search?q=north+korea+highways&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch
North Korea is best Korea.

I second the motion.

If I were handed a deserted stretch of relatively well maintained highway, I'd do my damnedest to hit the highest speed I could.

I would do this too.

In regards to the 'my car looks like shit GTFO' vein I would like to contribute my two cents. Picture this bitch only with a cap on the back, rust all through the wheel wells and sideboards held on with metal strapping. Negative fucks were given.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2012, 09:50:22 pm »

As yes, the shitkicker car.  I had one.  Lord, how I had one.

Spoiler: The Albatross (click to show/hide)

Sure it had to strain and grunt to get over 65, and was too loud inside the cab to hear yourself think, and burned up a quart of oil a month, and absolutely terrified every woman who approached it.  But three fender benders didn't put a scratch on it (none of them my fault), and every car on the road gave it a wide berth.  There is a warm feeling a power in driving a cast-iron crate, purpose built to be shot at or thrown off cliffs and keep on rolling.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2012, 10:19:00 pm »

No visible, unrepaired body damage? For shame.

My car tops out at ~130ish. More accurately, I do, because at that speed it starts to feel unsafe due to damage to the car I didn't do. If I had a new car with new car handling, I could stand to go faster.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2012, 12:00:50 pm »

I've never topped 120 in my current car, and don't really plan to. I need new rotors, and the damned thing shimmies like it's on the dance floor when you get above 60.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 02:20:27 pm »

Protip for traffic rage:  BUY A MOTORBIKE.  Traffic related issues fade away.   Though your problem then changes to the idiots who will look right at you then try and drive clean over the top of you.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 02:32:12 pm »

I drive an 10 year old luxury car (blue book value still $10000) in good condition, except for the bullet hole.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 08:59:03 pm »

281 cubic inches of get the fuck out of my way
So apparently, Aqizzar drives a chihuahua. Either that or cubic inches means something different in car terms, in which case I definitely have no idea what it'd actually mean. But I'm going to stick with the mental image of him riding into the sunset on his faithful canine steed anyways because it's hilarious.

Fair enough.  I honestly don't know how the Hell cu displacement works (I'm pretty sure it's measured by dunking an engine block in water and measuring the spillover), I just know that's what it's rated.  4.6 liter Ford modular block, with all the kinks worked of the system.  Admittedly, it's the runt of the family, but it's not a big car.  And yeah, it's big brother is called the "Coyote".

It's a never ending battle between my milktoast liberal sensibilities to decry American waste, and my raging boner at seeing Detroit revive the earth-rattler Flying Bricks of yore.  It might be the 21st century, but on the highway 1970 will never die.
I'm pretty sure that the displacement of the engine is exactly how much volume the cylinder heads sweep out in one complete turn of the engine.

And I feel you on the old school American Muscle. There is just something about having the power of several hundred horses at the beck and call of your right foot.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2012, 09:58:40 pm »

Get a Koenigsegg

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2012, 11:18:21 pm »

Mah thread deserves bumping after what I experienced tonight.

I left work at about 9:15PM today, because when you get a 25% raise you don't say no to crunch time the next day.  Feeling awesome, I decided rather than take the road through town, I'd jam up onto the tollway to get home in record time.  Indeed I nearly did, blasting along at 80 around the handful of people still on the road who seemed to have no place they particularly wanted to be.

And then I got within sight of my exit, and saw a ridonkulous pile of cars spilling into the road.  What the fuck?  Okay, I'll go up to the next exit.  Sure it's a couple miles out of the way, but I don't have anywhere to be anyway.

Then the traffic slowed.  Then it crawled.  Then it stopped completely.  And I made a phonecall to bitch and found out why.  Some country singer I'd never heard of was playing at a fireworks show (that I could see) at some ballfield right off the tollway.  To which we proceeded to travel down the tollway at walking speed, past closed exit after closed exit - the signs said they were closed, actually they were just backed up all the way out of sight into town.  It made sense that we were traveling at walking speed, because apparently it's totally cool for people to just park in the right lane of a major highway (because it has no shoulder you see) to pile out of their cars and watch the show from the guardrail.

When I at last, somehow, got off at an exit nearly five miles from where I wanted to be, they didn't even bother having the traffic lights on, using police to direct traffic and otherwise pretty much just letting everyone sort it out for themselves.  Okay, fine.  I weave my way down a few intersections to the through-town boulevard (the way I should have taken home in the first place), and begin jamming back towards my road.  Until I come to the main cross-boulevard.

Ten goddamn minutes watching the two cops "directing" traffic wave through cars that apparently wanted to stop anyway (judging by the way half of them did), as a mile-long que built up both ways.  I know it was a mile long, because you can just see the next intersection a mile away and they were packed three abreast, bumper to bumper all the way there.  Letting my impatience get the better of me, I turned onto the road when I finally had the chance, straight into the belly of the beast...

Long story short, I wasted a half-hour of my life.  I literally sat there in my car with the engine off, watching police bikes weave through the crowd, the traffic on the other side speeding along, and people leave their cars in the road to go to restaurants, because the waiting time for a table was clearly shorter than the waiting time to make even a right turn.  And then when I finally get to the head, expecting to take the service road home?  The cops made everyone take a U-turn.

Still not having had my fill of purgatory, I dived off onto what I thought was a backstreet, but was in fact the entrance to an apartment complex.  A complex with exactly one entrance.  Me and three other cars driving around like Shriners trying to find some way, any way, off the Road Of The Damned.  The road from which we all descend and to which we all one day return.

Luckily, I was then flowing with the grain, and after hitting the only operating traffic light in town and taking four cycles to get through then pull a uey and take a right (which was indeed faster than waiting for a left), I finally just had to dodge the usual brand of idiots and at last return home.

Just shy of two hours after I left, on a ten mile trip.  Just enough time to blog about it.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2012, 11:22:39 pm »

There's more than one reason I don't drive anymore.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »

Kinda surprised the homicide rate isn't higher around there.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2012, 12:01:47 am »

Huh. It would take me significantly less time than that to travel that far on foot, given open crosswalks.

(I don't plan on getting a car at any point in the near future. Bikes and public transit, wheeeeee....)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7