Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: See, I told the judge it wasn't just me.  (Read 7718 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: See, I told the judge it wasn't just me.
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 12:50:10 am »

Out of every state I've driven through in the USA, Texas was by far the most hellish. Part of that is because it's essentially a giant network of 8-lane freeways between huge megacities with nothing but giant expanses of flat brown nowhere in between. But part of it was also traffic behavior that I found to be endemic to Texas in particular. Wouldn't ever want to drive through that state again if I can help it.

Try living here. I'm fairly fastidious in following the speed limit, and I get passed by people on the freaking access roads while I'm passing people on the freeway. Texas has some A+ idiots on the road, and the geniuses who designed the road system didn't help one bit. ("Let's have this part of the freeway go straight through this little town with terribly timed lights." Brilliant work, Texas.)

I wish the States had freeways more like Germany: People are nice as the can be during rush hour, and pretty careful for having a speed limit of "reasonable". I think the difference is that the freeways are curvy in Germany, while in vast portions of the States they're flat, boring, and too small. The Autobahn was designed to be a freaking emergency airstrip, and with those tiny European cars, those freeways feel huge. I don't remember many that went below three lanes.

Shame I like my American comforts, else I'd be hoping over to Germany in a heartbeat just for the folks on the road.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 12:54:55 am »

Sometimes, I love having a car that looks like it has been put through the ringer, or looks a used stunt car (one of my last cars took a good few meters of guardrail after sliding into one on a rainy day; no flipping over them due to learning how to ride the rails from playing enough Gran Turismo, and knowing how to maintain speed and trajectory from such impacts. Unfortunately, I don't have the car anymore, but man, did it scare the public straight anytime I drove.). It's a good way to scare misbehaving drivers to be a little more courteous from time to time; especially if the damage is clearly visible for all to see (mind you, while being street-legal), and you're driving casually while the machine looks like it'll die any moment (checking under the hood, it was perfectly fine). The driving public didn't need to know that, and I could count myself as a freeway pace car. My choice, I drive the speed limit, and with competence.

Nothing scares bad drivers better than someone who looks like they had dealt with many of them, and carries their battle scars with pride.

EDIT:
Oh right, I think that very same car also took a motorcycle to the frontside before (but had the quarter-panel replaced weeks before the other accident). Could have added to it's effect. It had a bit of bad luck. Crumple zones make for awesome battle scarring where cars are concerned. Especially nice if it's mostly cosmetic, and can still protect you despite looking like hell.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:21:26 am by Itnetlolor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 01:03:06 am »

Exactly. They realize, "Shit, what has he got to lose? I just got a new paint job!"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 01:18:12 am »

Oh snap... I forgot to mention that my car in the last posted meeting with a car came away completely unharmed :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 04:01:06 am »

Man, Aqizzar threads. I always drop everything to read one. And now, as a new driver tentatively taking my first steps out into the brand new world of 2-ton metallic assholes, it's good that I can confirm that they're all out to get me.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2012, 05:15:11 am »

I never drive.  It's a blessing and a curse.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2012, 08:24:03 am »

My commute is mercifully low-density. I used to have to "run the Park" (i.e. drive through the 3-mile section of Research Triangle Park, wherein 50,000+ researchers and corporate drones ingress at 8am and exit at 5pm, creating a hellacious traffic jam) and it was not fun.

Although the absolute worst traffic snarl I've ever seen was in Raleigh several years back, when we had a light snowfall about noon. The weathermen had called for flurries, but it came down looking like a blizzard. Didn't last all that long, but the sight of giant, fluffy flakes drifting down from the heavens triggered something buried deep in the Southern psyche, and we all done lost our collective shit. Schools announced they were closing, people called into work from their lunch break and said they were taking the rest of the day off, etc. Bottom line, a couple hundred thousand people all got into their cars and hit those snow-dusted roads, which had not yet been salted. The continual compression and melt/refreeze quickly turned much of that inch or so of snow into a glass-like coating of ice. Which then promptly caused accidents at several key locations in the traffic grid.

Raleigh, like many large cities, has a radial hub-and-spoke traffic system. We have a Beltline that goes in a circle through the city, and major roads which intersect it from various directions. Rather quickly, the Beltline filled up. The entry/exit ramps were so ice-coated and treacherous that the police closed most of them. Which meant the Beltline became a giant vortex: once you got on, you were trapped. Like the great worm Ouroboros, you wound up stuck in a queue 50 miles long which was, in turn, stuck waiting behind you.

This cause traffic on the major roads to back up, as many of them were waiting to get on the now-inaccessible Beltline. Once all the major roads backed up, it began to clog the side roads and feeders. By 5pm, when I tried to leave work, I too was trapped. In one direction, the side road fed onto a major road which was now a wall of angry, honking metal. In the other direction lay a steep downslope, followed by a steep upslope on the other side. This little U-shaped valley became a flytrap of its own, as cars slid down the hill but lacked the traction to climb up the other side. Thank God I decided to reconnoiter the situation on foot first. There was a pile of at least half a dozen cars at the bottom, some feebly trying to move and looking for all the world like hapless insects struggling to escape a spider's web.

I just laughed at the insanity of the situation, walked back to work, walked across the street to a restaurant, walked up to the bar, and began racking up a tab. The front window of the place looked out on a major road, so I figured I'd know when the traffic had begun to break loose. Wound up leaving about 10pm. Probably could have been busted for DWI that night, if not for the fact that nobody was going over 5mph, and I decided to take one of the side streets that had been abandoned because it was hilly. In my little lightweight Toyota Echo, I just got a good running start and then coasted for miles. Essentially, I ice skated home in my car.

I hear they use our situation as a worst-case scenario in traffic engineering courses now.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2012, 09:18:25 am »

I miss my 1965 Buick Skylark.  I felt indestructable in that car :( 

I'd say I usually fall into the "good" driver category and sometimes moonlight into the "asshole" category.  After having driven in downtown Chicago a good number of times, I fear almost nothing on the road anymore.

Except ice, and maybe heavy rain.  And that's only because I flipped my car due to an icy road (no personal injuries, woo!).  There's a "no good deed goes unpunished" story.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2012, 09:26:39 am »

I sort of miss my Volvo. I only ever got into what major accident (taking a highway corner too fast on a wet road), and it was a doozy - completely totalled the other guys car, I was just happy he managed to get out in good condition.

I, meanwhile, got a chip in my bumper. Old volvos were built like tanks.

My Buick was a reliable vehicle, and managed to handle quite admirably the little old lady who tried to take a left turn through me. I've had three "my fault" accidents, four altogether, and three of them were while I was stopped at/trying to stop at a redlight. -_-
(Who puts redlights right at the bottom of steep hills with a tendency to freeze over in the winter? I mean, seriously. Accidents there were like a daily thing all winter long.)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 09:32:05 am »

I miss my 1965 Buick Skylark.  I felt indestructable in that car :( 

Having purposefully wrecked then gutted a Skylark...yeah, you pretty much were :P

Nothing scares bad drivers better than someone who looks like they had dealt with many of them, and carries their battle scars with pride.

This more or less describes my current car. I don't wash it very often so the mudsplatters say to people "I clearly don't care about the state of my car. What makes you think I care about your's?"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:33:53 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2012, 10:37:58 am »

I have never seen a proper traffic jam on a highway.

I live in the country of Estonia, which has a population of 1,3 million total. We just purely dont have enough people to clog up any highways. Not that we exactly have any large highways to clog in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:41:31 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2012, 03:32:08 pm »

When you do that with Estonia, you get pictures of one car on the highway, at least.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2012, 05:18:52 pm »

I wonder how fast they'd break out the attack helicopters if I drove on that highway...

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7