Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Chen Guangcheng  (Read 7496 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Chen Guangcheng
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 06:33:55 am »

Posting To Read RedKing's Great Posts.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 08:07:01 am »

Update:

So apparently, Beijing has come up with the bureaucratic fiction of allowing Chen to apply for "study abroad". Clever face-saving manuever. Of course, this is the same country where somebody made a knock-off version of Disneyworld, then defended themselves from a copyright suit by insisting things like "no, that's not Mickey Mouse, it's a cat with large round ears."  :P

Bureaucratic fictions as a way to get through red tape are par for the course. Another good example is the prohibition on foreign-owned businesses. By law, no company in China can be owned by a non-citizen. But of course, there are plenty of expat foreigner entrepeneurs floating around the Middle Kingdom. Solution? Get a local friend to "own" the company on paper and employ you. Everyone knows this is a BS ownership (it's called a "white glove") and it's just to get around the law, but even the officials don't care as long as it doesn't become a problem.

My one question is whether his family would be eligible to leave for the US with him on his "study". Since that seems to be the crux of the problem.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 09:16:11 am »

RedKing's posts are always enlightening with a dash of humor. Keeps me interested just like a good Cracked article.

PTW and keeping silent, because I tend to post unintelligent opinions.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 10:09:55 am »

Reports are that Chen's been offered a fellowship at an American university, and that it includes provisions for his wife and two kids to join him. Beijing authorities have said they'll approve the travel documents needed.

No mention of Chen's siblings, who still live in Shandong and whom Chen has expressed concern for. Still, this is a promising development, and it makes me think Gary Locke and his staff understand how the system operates over there. Finding a creative way to relabel asylum into something that allows Beijing to say, "No, no...he's still a happy, loyal Chinese citizen...he's just on a really, really long field trip", is a masterstroke.

Sadly, it also means the pressure to investigate and remove corrupt officials in Shandong will be lessened. Hopefully the next time provincial chairs come up for rotation, they'll put a young reform-minded crusader into Shandong to help clean up the place. And hopefully that crusader will last more than a year or two before being bought by the powers that be.  :-\

Also sadly, the bulk of public comments on CNN re: this are along the lines of "Great, another immigrant troublemaker that the taxpayers will be paying for."  The second most common are old lame jokes around Chinese names. Chen laoshi, are you really sure this is where you want to come??  :-[

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:31 am »

The whole dance is pretty absurd, but at least he and most of his family can get out of there now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 11:17:55 am »

Bureaucracy is government of the absurd. Kafka would have a field day in China.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 01:37:10 pm »

Bureaucracy is what protects us from abuse of power. Without bureaucracy, there is only oppression.
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »

Bureaucracy is what protects us from abuse of power. Without bureaucracy, there is only oppression.
Counter: Too much bureaucracy and it will be oppression by inaction.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 03:10:36 pm »

I just see bureaucracy as a necessary evil. In a modern nation-state--or even in non-modern historical ones--there is simply too much to be taken care of than can be done by one person, or even by a cadre of people. It takes an entire government apparatus, ie. a bureaucracy, to do the day-to-day business of making sure the state doesn't grind to a halt.

Redking, your posts are quite intriguing, and you obviously have quite a broad base of knowledge on the subject. I have a question: Do you see China, at some point in the near or middle future, undergoing a major internal crisis due to, say, ethnic conflict and economic disparity? I've heard some claim that China's growth is unsustainable with their current structure, and that before long they will have a collapse if they don't do major reforms, and quickly. What's your take on it?
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 04:38:23 pm »

Is this website allowed in China?(I guess not, just wondering where REdKing is posting from if it isn't)
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 07:20:30 pm »

North Carolina, I'm pretty sure. Might be wrong on that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 11:28:26 pm »

North Carolina, I'm pretty sure. Might be wrong on that.
That was not the first state I would have guessed a chinese perosn would live in. Thats like #35 on my list of states Chines people would live in.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 02:41:50 am »

Pretty sure  RedKing isn't Chinese either.
Love, scriver~

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 02:57:41 am »

Honestly, Beijing needs these sort of people to remain in China and help them root out corruption at the local levels.
Just saying, I don't think this guy would know where to look.

...too soon?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 07:59:34 am »

The last time I checked I could access this website in China. It's pretty low-profile.

Youtube not so much.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6