Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Chen Guangcheng  (Read 7501 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chen Guangcheng
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2012, 03:00:13 pm »

I'd figure that China(and Asia in general) has a fair share of its own Natives within their historic backgrounds too.

Pretty hilarious in this light, thanks for the info RedKing.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2012, 03:03:35 pm »

However, both the cow skull and the patterns on the wall behind the dancers (or whatever they are) were more suggestive of Native Americans than anything I would possibly associate with China.
China is a big place with some real interesting history and a whole lot of different peoples with their own cultures. Not surprising that some of them mirror some native american imagery. (Though not sure which american natives had that particular imagery?)

On a completely different note, I've wanted to visit China for a while simply because that's where some of my favorite Westerns are set. I think RedKing might be familiar with the one that tops the list. ;)

Though that's a pretty stupid reason to visit a place... but hey, works for New Zealand! They built a whole town for people who come to visit thanks to LotR

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2012, 03:14:40 pm »

However, both the cow skull and the patterns on the wall behind the dancers (or whatever they are) were more suggestive of Native Americans than anything I would possibly associate with China.
China is a big place with some real interesting history and a whole lot of different peoples with their own cultures. Not surprising that some of them mirror some native american imagery. (Though not sure which american natives had that particular imagery?)

The Mojave or Apache would probably be a pretty good fit.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2012, 03:17:55 pm »

Yeah. Google image search 'Apache blanket' or somesuch and you'll see what I mean. It's not an exact match, but that's the first thing that came to mind without knowing it was specifically a Chinese-only racist ethnic park. I figured it was just a really bad attempt at Indian 'art'.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2012, 03:22:14 pm »

You know the theories about the Bering Strait land-bridge native migration, I'm sure, so the patterns may have just been handed down for a long, long time.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2012, 03:54:13 pm »

Honestly, it looks like half a dozen different patterns I've seen in half a dozen different cultures from half a dozen different places around the globe. There might be some distant ancestral pattern they all come from, but it could simply be human aesthetics.

Besides, it's not all that strange of a park. Look at Walt Disney World's Epcot. You've got half a major theme park there which is nothing but dated, naive and often somewhat racist stereotyping of a dozen different nationalities.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2012, 04:02:20 pm »

Honestly, it looks like half a dozen different patterns I've seen in half a dozen different cultures from half a dozen different places around the globe. There might be some distant ancestral pattern they all come from, but it could simply be human aesthetics.

Besides, it's not all that strange of a park. Look at Walt Disney World's Epcot. You've got half a major theme park there which is nothing but dated, naive and often somewhat racist stereotyping of a dozen different nationalities.
You mean Mexicans don't actually live in stone pyramids which have rivers running through them, on which waiters bring you your tasty empanadas and giant margaritas? Shit, I feel lied to.

Likewise, if I visit Germany and I'm not greeted by buxom barmaids and guys in lederhosen carrying about 5 liters of beer, I'm gonna be sorely disappointed.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2012, 04:03:40 pm »

You mean Mexicans don't actually live in stone pyramids which have rivers running through them, on which waiters bring you your tasty empanadas and giant margaritas? Shit, I feel lied to.

Likewise, if I visit Germany and I'm not greeted by buxom barmaids and guys in lederhosen carrying about 5 liters of beer, I'm gonna be sorely disappointed.

In Germany, you can actually get that if you go during Oktoberfest.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2012, 04:07:07 pm »

I actually took some Germans to Epcot last year, we ate in "Germany." They were so embarrassed and really hoped that's not what Americans thought Germany was really like. They were even from Bavaria, where lederhosen are OCCASIONALLY still worn. You can still expect the 5 liters of beer though if you want. That's totally true, they can really put it away over there.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2012, 05:24:53 pm »

In Germany, you can actually get that if you go during Oktoberfest.
-snip-
And now I want to live there. Hell, I don't even drink beer!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 09:44:10 am by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2012, 09:04:54 am »

Okay, that is amazing.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2012, 09:05:19 am »

Oh jah... I want to ride that.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2012, 09:06:28 am »

My god! The quality of that documentary is incredible! I feel like I've never known the US so well!

Oh, and thanks for all the deraily info, lots of food for thought.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2012, 09:47:04 am »

It kinda says something that the three most popular US TV shows in China when I was there were Seinfeld, Friends and 24. So they think we're all hipster comedians having zany fun in our upscale apartments, when we're not having car chases and shooting each other. But at least they're zany car chases and gunfights.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6