Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What "special" rooms do you have?  (Read 10547 times)

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What "special" rooms do you have?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 10:28:41 pm »

A chalice.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 10:44:54 pm »

Not sure if it counts as a room or if its actually incredibly standard but I usually include an "execution shaft" where I stick cages of my enemies at the top and dump them out of cages 15 to 25 levels. Doesn't work for fliers of course.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 10:46:25 pm »

Whoa.
I've never got past simple things like a prison block (1*4 cells that each contain door, cabinet, chain and bed) and maybe a separate memorial hall for the un-buriable ghosts.

My usual cemetary is a bunch of 1-wide tunnels with niches on each side for coffins, the nobles get a bit fancier 10*3 burial chambers with their own niche in one end and a green glass door at the other. (I originally intended for it to be a window, sealing the tomb, but with the dwarves' tendency to trap themselves with construction... yeah, not such a hot idea.  :-\ ) I also have this thing for green (or crystal, if I can manage to find rock crystal and be bothered with making pearlash) glass coffins for nobles. Of course, my self-named dorf gets an elaborate mausoleum with engraved pillars, a precious metal sarcophagus, statues and the works...
(Egoist? Who, me? Never! :P )

Another idiomatic feature for my forts is the drop-pit below the entrance access drawbridges, menacing with as many wood, metal and glass spikes (and Goblinite spears) as I can manage, featuring a trap-lined access tunnel to the surface.

I was going to take inspiration from the temple post above, but my current civilization's deities don't leave much room for that.  Their spheres are balance, fate, painting, lies, charity & mist, fortresses, jewels, earth & wealth, and mountains & volcanos.  I could make a mist generator for one and gem windows for another, but the rest won't work very well.   :D
A magma mist generator would probably please the Volcano God. >:D

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:49:54 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 10:53:32 pm »

Usually a kind of "pantheon shrine" containing statues from all the deities my masons worship enough to make statues of, and a goblin cage so my military can make some good old fashioned sacrifices.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Redgaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 11:12:08 pm »

A heavily decorated room just off the mayoral suite that contains the coffins of all previous mayors and an empty one designated as the tomb of the present one, along with any statues that turn up depicting the actions and violent deaths of the mayors of that fort, so that the present mayor can have a place to contemplate his actions when he mandates slade items. A lot of dorfs chosen as mayor seem to be drawn from my military, so the whole violent deaths thing comes up more often than you'd think, be it by fire, tantrum or zombie husks.

An arena ringed with fortifications with a captured necromancer or warlock (Masterwork mod) bricked up somewhere with deployable floodgates to block line of sight, so that captured foes can be reanimated again and again as target dummies for hails of *Goblin Bone Bolt*. Trains recruits, gets them used to horrific deaths, and doubles as a zombie pit in a pinch.

Pretty standard, I should think.
All I do, I do for !!SCIENCE!!

nighzmarquls

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2012, 01:52:33 am »

I started doing this because I had way too much vertical space and too many corpses in my mountain city fortress (Got a thread of it on here).

But I'm now going to use 'walls of the dead' as a standard feature of all my fortresses...

Its just something about having dozens of z levels of coffins in monolithic edifices, surrounding by engravings of suffering and history...

It just solves so many problems!

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37:28 am »

Every time I completely mine out a vein, it gets smoothed and engraved. The first of these is made into a cemetery, while the rest become "art galleries", ie a series of statue gardens. I've also started building houses for my nobles out on the surface, complete with a private walled garden.

I always knew I wasn't the only one who made my exhausted veins into cemeteries.
Catacombs.   :)

Tombs, cats are for making biscuits and dwarfs don't know what combs are  :P

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 08:00:11 am »

Nothing special really, although I spend alot of time just designing rooms for all my dwarves.  sometimes it's very thematic; I had one fortress where I carved out an anvil being hit by a hammer.  The head of the hammer held my metalsmith shops, the handle was arranged metal bar stockpiles, while the whole anvil was furnaces and many more bar stockpiles.  I also had a refuse pit in the shape of a skull, with the eyes serving as the air vents outside, Many craft shops and piles were in a giant amulet shape.  I once made my kitchens and food stockpiles a giant mushroom.  Lately I've been working on much larger open fortress', so I'm thinking of taking the whole "job = theme = obvious room design" and making them into actual 3D rooms with multiple layers, instead of just 2D images carved out on one level

Although, I do remember when I was first getting into DF many moons ago; I did make one dining hall that I would flood at the end of every year, killing everyone inside (I usually have multiple dining halls, so I wouldn't eradicate my fortress so much as just trim their number) Why would I do that? well thats a silly question

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 09:13:26 am »

and dwarfs don't know what combs are  :P

Of course they do! They're those things made from the bones of their enemies that get tangled in their beards!

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 09:49:16 am »

I tend to build lots of 'balconies'- I like to build close to the surface, and use the natural contours of the mountain in my designs.  I'll block out a useful room close to the edge of a slice of rock, channel out the extraneous exterior rock, and put a door out to the exterior space.  I remove the ramps that allow access to the area, and make a small statue garden- so the effect is an interesting overall fortress shape, and lots of out-door meeting areas which help mitigate cave adaption (but also tend to make civilians vulnerable to crossbow volleys- not usually a big issue, since they're close to doors and tend to run inside right after goblins spring from ambush).

I also like to build "gardens"- areas where I have dirt surrounded by block walls, and the purpose is just to grow little trees and shrubs for decorative purposes.  You can use traffic settings to keep dwarves off the grass, and build stone paths through your garden, and statue gardens adjacent to them, to have lots of dwarves hanging out in colorful natural surroundings (gardens work just as well underground as above ground).  I sometimes 'cull' the trees, too- so I might only allow feather wood trees to grow in my gardens, by chopping down anything else that grows.  New trees will grow, and some of them will be the desired type- so the eventual effect is to have a very high concentration of the specific tree type that you're going for.  It's too bad you can't identify shrubs without harvesting them...

With underground gardens, you can do something fun- dig out a lovely shape in the rock, I like to do stars or flowers, then flood it, and drain it, and dig some extra chambers into your shape.  Restrict traffic over the muddied section, which will eventually start sprouting trees and shrubs, and smooth and engrave the surrounding areas and make meeting zones for dwarves to linger near your park.  Just be sure the meeting zones don't overlap with the garden itself, because dwarves will ignore the traffic restrictions and trample your shrubs and saplings.

Also, I sometimes build little injury factories, and draft a few dwarves into service as "test subjects."  This is basically just to keep my doctors in practice.  It isn't an efficient way to increase their skills, but it at least keeps them from getting rusty (and it's funny).  Dropping dwarves a few z-levels is a good way to produce broken bones, and spikes will produce lacerations and sometimes internal injuries that require surgery, so the design is usually a trap door above retracted spikes.  Drop the dwarf, poke them, put them in a bed.  They do eventually die (usually because of an unlucky head injury- they almost never bleed to death, if you've got a free doctor and don't go overboard with the spikes).

I also like vaults.  I tend to accumulate lots of cut gems, because I like to trade for them.  Many I use in industry, but I also just like having giant piles of shining gemstones.  It's fun to build a vault with a floodgate made of steel or lead, and some kind of gratuitous locking system (usually I use an airlock type configuration, with a control room elsewhere that has its own secure door), plus some traps (not that anything ever gets far enough to trigger them).

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 10:26:17 am »

I always try to include two special features:

1. Snakepit. I seem to mostly get adders of late. Adder venom isn't powerful enough to kill and the snakes themselves are too small to cause serious injury (they are 1/20th the size of a chicken, making them the smallest non-vermin adult creature in the game), but the combination of severe pain and multiple attacks is enough to incapacitate a goblin and let a dog or bear administer some bleeding wounds. This is a great way to get adders with multiple-word titles and long killscreens; once they have a title, they will even show up in Legend mode siege reports as "defenders"!

2. Cleaning pit. A 2/7 pool that all dwarves must walk through to get in and out of the fortress, in order to remove bloodstains, FB extracts, and soap overuse.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 10:36:52 am »

I too build gardens, with little paths running around trees, hedges, and sculpture. If they're going to spend half their time socializing and having parties, they can at least do it outside and prevent cave adaptation. Also, like many, I build an arena, with a spectators' gallery (designate meeting zone or sculture garden, so there's always an audience on hand for events) and a secure combat area.

I also build a prison, with two wings: the Hall of Miscreants with 3x3 cells, each with a high-quality chain, bed, chair, table, food and drink (so that no dwarf suffers too much no matter what ridiculous impossible-to-create thing my nobles mandate), and the War Prisoners section, where interesting captives may be displayed. I may have to revamp my designs for this last section, now that we can assign hostiles to chains. The Sheriff usually gets his suite in this section so he may watch over the prisoners. If I'm feeling extra elaborate, I'll put a "police station" complex here too, with facilities for the fortress guard to train, hang out, and sleep.

I build at least one bath house, with pools of water, sculptures, and a nearby soap stockpile. Urist McDwarfy has had a nice soapy bath recently.

I build 'bars' near all work areas, small booze stockpiles so that working dwarves don't have far to go to quench their thirst and can then get back to work.

The "control room" where all the important levers are tends to get built into my dining hall or other high-use meeting zone. I never seem to get to the point where I can spare a dwarf to become a full-time lever operator, so whoever is off duty needs to be in a convenient position to pull a lever when necessary. The exception is any lever that can potentially destroy the fortress, which will be out of the way, behind lockable doors. I've never had a tragedy as a result of a tantrumming dwarf pulling the wrong lever in a fit of pique, and don't wish to.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 10:52:51 am »

I made a huge arena and made a viewing hall over it and paved the place with clear glass so my guys could see what's going on underneath. Then I dumped some goblins from the upper level ( a 3 level fall doesn't kill them ). Then all my citizens started running around scared from the contained assortment of nasties.

Sigh. Is there a way other than preventing their sight to the gobbos to stop them from running around in panic? I want them to be able to observe the .. festivities.

Oh and I also make control rooms, with their own food supply. When I lock the fort down, the control room also gets locked. I spend way too much time designing mechanical lockdown measures rather than actually playing the game.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:56:02 am by caddybear »
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 11:03:22 am »

Sigh. Is there a way other than preventing their sight to the gobbos to stop them from running around in panic? I want them to be able to observe the .. festivities.
Make the Viewing Area a designated timewasting zone. No task means no "Urist McDwarf cancels task: Saw scary goblin". It's probably a bad idea to make the arena viewable from, say, your fort's major hallway intersection.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 11:30:07 am »

Make the Viewing Area a designated timewasting zone. No task means no "Urist McDwarf cancels task: Saw scary goblin". It's probably a bad idea to make the arena viewable from, say, your fort's major hallway intersection.

I made it a dining room. Sigh.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4