Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What "special" rooms do you have?  (Read 10544 times)

ObiWorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What "special" rooms do you have?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 03:59:10 pm »

- Bath House: Statues, engraved columns, waterfalls, wells and soap stockpiles. A clean and soapy Urist is a happy Urist.
- Boarding School: Classrooms, dormitories, dinning room, playground with toys and a small version of the Bath House. All dwarves must stay here until they turn 12. Unless they start spamming job cancelations.
- Temple of Armor: A kind of church with thrones, an altar and a squad of "Priestesses of Armok" dedicated to meditation, medical assistance and martial arts.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 05:03:45 pm »

I usually trick out my expedition leader's tomb to the extreme, and once actually dedicated four layers of marble to it. It typically contains a zoo of their favorite animals, masterwork statues of themselves out of their favorite material littered everywhere, a sacrificial magma pit I dump a nanny goat or cheesemaker into every now and again, and anything else a dwarf needs for the afterlife. Getting him masterwork meals in there only of his favorite foods and booze is somewhat tricky, though, and requires resident cats, kind of breaking the vibe.

The other nobles just get the bare minimum, preferably as small as possible. They get pissed, but the expedition leader is the only one I really care about anyway.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 05:15:20 pm »

I have a couple of temples in my fort, and a couple of warehouses (above ground fort).  That gives it a bit more authenticity than just a few stockpiles laying out in the rain.  I also have an actual armory (as opposed to a weapon / armor stockpile in the middle of the barracks), and I have a screw pump gym for my militia.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 05:41:44 pm »

Temples to armok, mostly.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 05:48:34 pm »

Every one of my established cities contains a forgotten beast hotel between two of the cavern layers. By keeping the beasts alive yet contained, they provide safety while allowing for web farming and the possibility of a zoo later on.

These prisons take the form of several stacked shafts with twenty cells per side, each with numerous layers of raising bridges over dry moats. Every tunnel is carefully dug, cleaned, polished and appropriately mechanized. Extensive control rooms -- poshly decked in the fashion and theme of their city -- are filled with dozens of levers, all meticulously labeled according to their connections and arranged in patterns similar to the layout of the block to which they correspond.

Only after the first cell block is built and fitted with bait are the caverns opened to the fortress. Only after the cavern layers are free from all biohazards are heavily armored expeditionary squads sent out to establish a safety zone for the clear-cutting and mass paving efforts associated with dwarven industrial expansion. Unusually contaminated areas may require sterilization by magma.

There are also the treasure hoards, entrance antechambers, multilevel glass dining halls, curiously empty office blocks, libraries crammed with cabinets full of (imaginary) mouldering tomes and doddering sages, needlessly large spiral stair shafts extending so far into the earth you can't see the shine of the Overbright from even half way down... But those aren't as consistent in form or presence as the forgotten beast hotels.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 06:37:18 pm »

I like to build a temple to Armok complete with a sacrifice chamber and bloodfall. I can pit or chain a sacrifice creature or dwarf, pull the lever, and let my dwarves bask in the soothing blood mist.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 07:07:36 pm »

Ocelot Temple will include an Ocelot feeding chamber for any being that even contemplates the harming of Ocelots to be thrown into.
Good Sir, I like the way you 'fink.
Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 07:34:16 pm »

Hrm out of curiosity, is there any way in the unmodded game to figure out what the most popular deity/deities is/are, or is it just a matter of checking a bunch of dwarves individually and trying to remember which ones pop up most?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 07:56:12 pm »

I make a list of the pantheon of deities for my civ using legends mode or from reading dwarves. Then, I have specific dwarves craft statues from specific materials until I get a statue for each deity, made of a material relevant to that deity. These statues sometimes receive extra relevant decorations, and then they are all installed in a "temple". The temple has a meeting zone, so dwarves come to quietly pray and look at statues, but they don't throw parties in there.

Control room: close to the spots where idlers hang out, and full of levers.

Power plant: full of water wheels (perhaps perpetual motion "reactors").

Mist machine: a meeting hall with the proper amount of falling water to generate happy mist thoughts without unhappy drowning thoughts.

Nightclub: a hall to throw parties in, with colored flashing gem windows. Usually put on its own z-level so I don't have to look at it often.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 08:06:26 pm »

Hmm, my favorites are the doom towers and the wood tavern.

doom tower- basically a large, 1x1 tower designed for executions, one ballista, marksdwarves, and a nice, uncleaned vomit encrusted bloodstained floor with cage traps on the way up so no prisoners escape if they survive at all.

wood tavern- a building inside the fortress with wood floors, walls, tall ceilings, and underground alcohol storage with tables on the actual floor, sometimes I get more than one in the fort when it really gets to be sprawling. it actually has functionality for dwarves have more places to eat, and they wont all be crammed in the same dining hall, which is disatrous for tantrum spirals, invasions, and berserks. also restaurants.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 08:57:28 pm »

I had a lovely moat, it was filled to the brim with Grizzle Bears. I feed them mostly Trolls because the building destroyer tag keep me from chucking em in my usual execution chamber.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 09:06:06 pm »

Every time I completely mine out a vein, it gets smoothed and engraved. The first of these is made into a cemetery, while the rest become "art galleries", ie a series of statue gardens. I've also started building houses for my nobles out on the surface, complete with a private walled garden.

I always knew I wasn't the only one who made my exhausted veins into cemeteries.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 09:18:39 pm »

Usually, I just dig a really deep underground shaft, with bridges passing through the center of it every 4 z-levels or so, and design my fortress around it. My ultimate goal is for a siege to break through the gates and to watch a Gandalf moment occur as a single dwarf single-handedly kills the Gobbo king or something by chucking him off the edge.

I also usually try to build a self-sufficient monastery with its own isolated farm patch and boozery, where especially pious dwarves will be sent to live a life of prayer, meditation and small animal torture.
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 09:21:35 pm »

Every time I completely mine out a vein, it gets smoothed and engraved. The first of these is made into a cemetery, while the rest become "art galleries", ie a series of statue gardens. I've also started building houses for my nobles out on the surface, complete with a private walled garden.

I always knew I wasn't the only one who made my exhausted veins into cemeteries.
Catacombs.   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »

The Hall of Despair. Every time I get a statue of some dwarf being dismissed from office, or surrounded by their hated vermin, or being struck down by a night creature, or whatnot, it goes in there. I don't want to simply get rid of them by selling them to traders; I don't want the outside world to know of my masons' failures, no matter how glorious those failures might be.

I might install those statues in jail cells, but that would only be appropriate if I thought the dwarves had done anything wrong. I know, I know, Urdim--it wasn't your fault that you couldn't make any items out of olm tooth. There, there.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4