Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What "special" rooms do you have?  (Read 10557 times)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What "special" rooms do you have?
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:26:10 pm »

I'm just kind of curious what ideas everyone else has come up with, for just different, non-standard things to put into your fortresses. (I also might just mine this thread for some ideas myself >_>)...

I mean yeah, everyone has the standard work areas, stockpiles, bedrooms, dining halls, etc. But what about just weird stuff?

The ones I have that's probably the most common (from what I've seen) are the zoo and the arena. The zoo is of course just a dug out room (which I make into a meeting area with the (i) zones command), where I build one cage of each creature/hostile that I capture. I count different goblin types as different "creatures" for this purpose, just to display them all. :p This is actually somewhat functional, since dwarves can admire the cages if they're well-crafted, and might enjoy seeing the animals if they like them.

The arena is of course a large room dug out, with a lever out near the stairs. I build up any cages of extra hostiles, wild animals I'm not training, etc. inside, link them up to the lever, then when I have as many as I want for one bout, send in my squads, lock the doors, and pull the lever. I have cage traps lining the hallway leading to the arena just in case of escapes, and I have a secondary dining hall above the arena with big square of the floor channeled out, to let the dwarves view the festivities below. (And no, this isn't really functional, if anything it's dysfunctional since the dwarves trying to eat might get scared of the hostiles below and flee, but it pleases me.) I might also start pitting hostiles vs. some extra tame animals or something, next time I have a catsplosion or whatever.

Aside from those, I have an aquarium (in the larger building sense), which is a room like the zoo (made into another meeting area), but instead of building cages with animals, I build terrariums, convert them into aquariums, then stock them with fish I catch live using the fishing workshops. Each type of fish gets its own aquarium. Sadly, there aren't usually a huge variety of fish on any given map, so this isn't as grand as I'd like. The aquarium and zoo are on the same level by the way, along with a communal statue garden. It's my "leisure" level.

Oh, I don't know if this counts, but I have one level (below my hospital/living area level) that's dedicated to water channels and such... so that I can not only channel water to the cistern below my hospital's well, but also use the same system to have water in four "bath" areas leading off in each hallway direction, so that almost all the dwarves going off to their bedrooms will walk through and clean themselves of contaminants. But I think that's at least semi-standard?

Most of the other areas I have are fairly straightforward... trading zone, graveyard/tombs, etc... so I'm kinda looking for more ideas. And just curious what others have come up with. So what are yours?

Szarrukin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What "special" rooms do you have?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:42:28 pm »

Temples. Almost every, post-2ndyear, fortress I've build had at least one "temple" (or rather "shrine") - a special "themed" room dedicated to most popular deity of my civilization. Of course, it is hard to build a temple for god of lies or goddess of freedom, so usually I pick more "kosher" gods. For example, now I have temple of Erib, goddess of steel (with steel stuff inside, steel statues, etc.) and temple of Shedim, god of jewels ( with lot of gem windows inside)

as always, sorry for my Engrish... I mean, English

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 12:56:57 pm »

Gorerape:

STF-01(actually made up of two different rooms, but whatever)

DeathMaze Control Room.

Planned projects for Wonderfortress:

Porcelain Fortress(will be home to a number of special rooms).

Ocelot Temple.

Shrine of the Fallen.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:01:02 pm »

Will the Ocelot temple include dead Ocelots scattered all over the room in their own gore?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 01:23:26 pm »

Ocelot Temple will include an Ocelot feeding chamber for any being that even contemplates the harming of Ocelots to be thrown into.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 01:34:47 pm »

I typically build a 1x4 room. The first square is a goblin cage, the next square is a door, the next square is a single upright iron spear trap, the next room is another door. I dump all the goblin's items, then pop open his cage and forbid all the doors once he is on the 1x1 upright spear trap square. I then activate it until his injuries are severe, wait and let him heal, and continue ad infinitum. Most of the time the spear will get a lucky shot to the skull after a couple months of this and I bring in a new goblin.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 01:49:15 pm »

Ocelot Temple will include an Ocelot feeding chamber for any being that even contemplates the harming of Ocelots to be thrown into.
That seems a bit against the Bay12 spirit, unless it means throwing goblins and elves in.
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 01:51:01 pm »

Sometimes I build pretty fancy hospitals or prisons.  The hospital will have treatment rooms, each fully stocked for surgery and traction, with lots of glass items and glass windows and a door.  Prisons will have individual cells with beds.  The guard captain and doctors will have offices and quarters nearby.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:23:28 pm »

That seems a bit against the Bay12 spirit, unless it means throwing goblins and elves in.

Any. Being.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:28:01 pm »

Any. Being.
What about modded war Ocelots coming with elves or goblins trying to kill your army. What would the Great King do then?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 02:34:17 pm »

Every time I completely mine out a vein, it gets smoothed and engraved. The first of these is made into a cemetery, while the rest become "art galleries", ie a series of statue gardens. I've also started building houses for my nobles out on the surface, complete with a private walled garden.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:40:49 pm »

Any. Being.
What about modded war Ocelots coming with elves or goblins trying to kill your army. What would the Great King do then?

Cage trap everything. Place enemy Ocelots in golden masterwork cages within Ocelot Temple. Preserve goblins since, to my knowledge, they are extinct in my current world. Punish elves for putting Ocelots in harm's way.

Also, Ocelots can already be trained as war animals, so what would be modded about them?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 02:42:54 pm »

Also, Ocelots can already be trained as war animals, so what would be modded about them?
I didn't actually know that. I thought I heard in that last thread that they could not be trained for war.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:51 pm »

The most drastic unusual construction that I ever tried was inspired by someone else's post.  I tried to make a fortress with every other level dedicated to the piping of water.  But this was in 40d and there weren't that many levels underground to play with, plus I never really got around to running the plumbing into everyone's rooms.  And as you say, water features are pretty much standard.

I was going to take inspiration from the temple post above, but my current civilization's deities don't leave much room for that.  Their spheres are balance, fate, painting, lies, charity & mist, fortresses, jewels, earth & wealth, and mountains & volcanos.  I could make a mist generator for one and gem windows for another, but the rest won't work very well.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 02:57:46 pm »

Moose pit. Those that have earned my contempt usually end up there.

POW camp. I keep my special creatures in there.

A giant compass constructed from ice and limstone blocks, with a single charcoal needle pointing to my home civ, that upon raining, gets covered in Dorf blood.

A quarry with a spiral rampway, soon to be connected to all three cavern layers for extra funsies.

*EDIT

Forgot about my pylons. And my graveyard, full of lovely zombies.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 06:30:17 pm by Loud Whispers »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4