Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92758 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #345 on: March 18, 2013, 01:29:43 pm »

I personally find it a bit easier to hit 'Up Left Right Down Up X' than 'Quarter-Circle-Clockwise A Circle-Counterclockwise B' but I imagine many people are the opposite.

Controllers have d-pads.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 18, 2013, 01:32:03 pm »

Yeah but you would be surprised what games actually can be played better with a keyboard.

For example fighting games.

Source?

Mind you this is mostly because a lot of fighting games have this trend of making attacks needlessly complicated specifically so that only the "good players" will be able to do them (For example Soul Calibur 5).

Source?  Reason why that is a bad thing?
You need a source for a personal preference thing when it comes to control schemes?

Anyway, the intentionally convoluted interface is pretty damn obvious if you've ever played Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. If Fatalities were given easy button combinations, then just anyone could use them after a fight! How horrible!

Fighting games are the poster boy genre for video games where you fight against the interface rather than your opponent.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:34:28 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #347 on: March 18, 2013, 01:32:34 pm »

I also find moving with a D-Pad to be much more awkward than using a thumbstick. Especially if it's one of the weird faux stick ones with the big plastic pad under that doesn't have discrete notches for each direction.

Again, personal preference.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2013, 01:35:29 pm »

The latest hurdle with Capcom fighters is what I call the "Z movement"

It is Down, right, Down+right

I only call it the Z because Marvel Versus Capcom 2 shows it in their booklets as a Z.

They REALLY expect you to have a joystick of some sort.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2013, 01:36:35 pm »

That's just the opposite of the shouryuken combo. Which itself has always been moderately annoying to pull off.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 18, 2013, 02:59:23 pm »

Fighting games are the poster boy genre for video games where you fight against the interface rather than your opponent.

There's a reason there's this shirt:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2013, 03:10:50 pm »

It is why I LOVED Soul Calibur before 5. Sure there were issues here and there (Ivy had some moves that were impossible without a joy stick) but it was a game with easy to perform moves, No real combos (They were usually strings of 3 moves at most), and no super moves.

What did 5 add? Combos, Complicated moves for everyone, and super moves. What made me more sad is I bet it was more popular for it.

Ohh well no use talking about dead to me series that I love.

I do know that track balls take time to get used to but they are kinda fun once you get used to them. I love just rolling them!

Edit: I just checked YEAH! Soul Calibur 5 was the least popular soul calibur EVER! admittingly not for the reasons I mentioned.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 03:17:30 pm by Neonivek »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 18, 2013, 03:19:27 pm »

Yeah, anything takes a bit of time to gear up.  I use them exclusively these days, because I find its easier on my wrist.  When I used to play TF2, people would be surprised when they found out I used one and kicked their butts on a regular basis with it.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2013, 05:51:48 am »

If the Keep Skullgirls Growing Kickstarter keeps on going at the speed it's been going, Mane6 may actually get the engine.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 28, 2013, 04:04:51 am »

Wow, I'm surprised Skullgirls managed to get that much.

I'm pretty hype, I hope Beowulf gets in.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 28, 2013, 07:02:07 am »

This made me happy;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:49 am »

Mane6 has teh engine. Also, I'm super glad at this point that Hasbro shut down their MLP usage, because the game they are making now, instead, looks like it's going to be even more awesome.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 28, 2013, 10:56:42 am »

If the Keep Skullgirls Growing Kickstarter keeps on going at the speed it's been going, Mane6 may actually get the engine.
Those numbers are ridiculously large. Wow.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 21, 2013, 10:50:58 am »

Do you like dinosaurs? I like dinosaurs. If you don't like dinosaurs, fuck you, they're awesome.

This game has dinosaurs. It's a hunting/survival game where humans are not at the top of the food chain. I expect to get eaten by a tyrannosaurus. I expect this experience to be awesome.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2013, 07:28:51 pm »

I'm surprised nobody has brought up Stonehearth yet.

Stonehearth is a game about exploration and survival in an epic fantasy setting. Your job is to help a small group of settlers survive and carve out a place for themselves in a hostile land. You’ll need to establish a food supply, build shelter, defend your people, and find a way to grow and expand, facing challenges at every step.

Starting from procedurally generated terrain with dynamic AI encounters, Stonehearth combines city sim and good old combat with infinite building possibilities. It’s built to be moddable at every level, from your city, to the people and creatures inhabiting the world, and will ship with the tools and documentation for you to add your own customizations to the game, and share them with friends.

The thing I'm looking forward to is the modding:
As a modder you’ll be able to do basically anything that we as developers can do: introduce new items and monsters, write new scripted adventures, influence the AI, you name it. It goes back to that original pen and paper RPG experience, where “the game” is a collaboration between the core ruleset and the stories crafted by the gamemaster.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46