Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46

Author Topic: When Kickstarter Goes Right  (Read 92755 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter Goes Right
« Reply #330 on: March 17, 2013, 01:53:57 pm »

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 17, 2013, 02:38:47 pm »

Then let's go with something else.

Ohh that is the video I watched that kinda set up alarm bells. I was reserving watching the actual video for later when I was in the mood (I was in no rush because the general oppinion was lukewarm and that it didn't say much) but now I am actually concerned.

"I'm going to keep reading opinions of a video even though I know full well that there is a base of people who dedicate their lives to HATE this video, and not actually watch it to see for myself whether their opinions are true or not."

Where did you get that? I said now I had to "watch it" not 'NOT' watch it.

It is like I say one thing and people hear the first part and then make up the second half.

"I am going to the store to buy some milk"

"OMG Neonivek is going to the store to buy the souls of infants and devour them before the almighty power of the sun!!!"

You could probably take 20 minutes out of your watching-anime-you-don't-like schedule for it

I am currently reserving that for Fairytale a anime I DO like. Either that or finishing Prince of Tennis an anime I don't like but I sometimes do like (Or more specifically it can be REALLY boring but when the anime actually starts trying, it can be REALLY entertaining, I especially liked the Phantom Ball Match. Given that I only have a few episodes left until they are at nationals it should pick up.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 02:44:10 pm by Neonivek »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 17, 2013, 02:43:33 pm »

Then let's go with something else.

Ohh that is the video I watched that kinda set up alarm bells. I was reserving watching the actual video for later when I was in the mood (I was in no rush because the general oppinion was lukewarm and that it didn't say much) but now I am actually concerned.
He's setting up the video as a straw(wo)man, and attempting to knock it down. He's misrepresenting the point of the videos. He's actively misinterpreting the video's intentions. His very first point is trying to paint the Damsel in Distress as a Good Thing (tm) by taking a single point from a single video game and making it representative of all video games using that trope. Which is most certainly not the case.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 17, 2013, 03:31:34 pm »

Where did you get that? I said now I had to "watch it" not 'NOT' watch it.

It is like I say one thing and people hear the first part and then make up the second half.

"I am going to the store to buy some milk"

"OMG Neonivek is going to the store to buy the souls of infants and devour them before the almighty power of the sun!!!"

When you spend a long ass time repeatedly coming in the thread insulting the video without watching it, then dismiss everyone who tells you to watch it, people might not take you seriously when you say you will.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #334 on: March 17, 2013, 05:25:09 pm »

In my opinion, opinions are worthless and meaningless. :D Okay, I'll actually make that less paradoxical: The logic you use to back that opinion up, the reasoning behind that opinion, is what has value. An opinion given and unexplained or not sufficiently explained gives no value to a discussion and is therefore worthless. You're just making air vibrations at that point. I'd recommend watching the video and then forming an opinion, figuring out the reasoning for that opinion, and then presenting the former alongside the latter :)

The first video was pretty much meh to me, didn't delve into enough information for me to regard it as useful. Can't disagree with it since it mostly just showed things that happened, but it added no real value to the discussion. When it comes out I'll gonna watch the second to see if it does, since the first could be said to just be laying ground works.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 05:30:22 pm by MorleyDev »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2013, 08:52:55 pm »

He's setting up the video as a straw(wo)man, and attempting to knock it down. He's misrepresenting the point of the videos. He's actively misinterpreting the video's intentions. His very first point is trying to paint the Damsel in Distress as a Good Thing (tm) by taking a single point from a single video game and making it representative of all video games using that trope. Which is most certainly not the case.

Ohh I certainly can pick appart the terrible parts of the video. It is the few good points the video makes that concerns me then the constant terrible badgering it does.

For example mixing up physically strong with competently strong (as in a mistake the video does). She didn't move the Goal post, she used the same word to mean two different things.

They also don't have as much material as they think they do. Mostly bringing up the same point over and over again constantly. As well they often don't counter anything she says but counters her herself which is something I don't really consider tactful given that it isn't really about the video but who is talking (Mind you I do think bringing up her essay is fair since it to me is her declairation of her oppinion on the subject)

When you spend a long ass time repeatedly coming in the thread insulting the video without watching it, then dismiss everyone who tells you to watch it, people might not take you seriously when you say you will

You made that up.

As well I mostly don't let it go because unlike most things this is actually important as to whether it is of quality or not. This actually has real implications beyond just not being a good video or a really great video.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:12:28 pm by Neonivek »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 17, 2013, 09:12:29 pm »

Eh, the word "repeatedly" was wrong there, but the rest of it is right. Good to know your skill at dismissing things hasn't diminished in the past few hours.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 17, 2013, 09:17:58 pm »

Eh, the word "repeatedly" was wrong there, but the rest of it is right. Good to know your skill at dismissing things hasn't diminished in the past few hours.

Still making things up. I dismiss lies! Especially insulting belittling lies that if I paid any sort of attention to I'd be in emotional distress.

Hense why I dismiss them. In case you are wondering.

When it comes out I'll gonna watch the second to see if it does, since the first could be said to just be laying ground works.

I am waiting for the second before I watch the first based on that mostly. Some things are better watched one after the other.

As well I don't want to come up with conclusions about the series if the second video changes anything about the first. For example explaining the difference between objectification in the narrative sense and objectification in the personal sense, which I am painfully try to phase out in my head.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:40:25 pm by Neonivek »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:09 am »

Although this Kickstarter project probably won't succeed, I'm rooting for (and backing) it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/485185897/revolve-goes-wireless

Its a gamepad with a trackball instead of a joystick on the right.  This means you could play FPS's(and other games where a mouse is more suitable) comfortably on your couch without the horrid joystick aiming.  :) 

I honestly think it probably won't succeed, because most people haven't really used a trackball before and so are skeptical about how well it works.  Also a lot of PC gamers tend to shun controllers as "Console gaming garbage", which is a shame, as one of the best things about gaming on a PC is that you CAN use all sorts of peripherals. 

Still, I'm hoping it'll succeed.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 18, 2013, 12:47:40 pm »

Also a lot of PC gamers tend to shun controllers as "Console gaming garbage", which is a shame, as one of the best things about gaming on a PC is that you CAN use all sorts of peripherals. 

Sadly, mouse and keyboard is superior to a controller.

Even Microsoft knows this.  Prior to the 360 coming out they were going to let PC and Xbox titles connect to the same servers so that users could play together, but every time a console pro went up against an average PC user in a FPS arena, the PC user would win hands down.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 18, 2013, 12:52:33 pm »

Apperantly, and I didn't know this until recently, they would actually outright make hitboxes bigger on consoles.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 18, 2013, 01:18:05 pm »

Also a lot of PC gamers tend to shun controllers as "Console gaming garbage", which is a shame, as one of the best things about gaming on a PC is that you CAN use all sorts of peripherals. 

Sadly, mouse and keyboard is superior to a controller.

Even Microsoft knows this.  Prior to the 360 coming out they were going to let PC and Xbox titles connect to the same servers so that users could play together, but every time a console pro went up against an average PC user in a FPS arena, the PC user would win hands down.

It is for anything that requires aiming.  Lots of games play better with a controller though, like platformers.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 18, 2013, 01:22:48 pm »

Yeah but you would be surprised what games actually can be played better with a keyboard.

For example fighting games.

Mind you this is mostly because a lot of fighting games have this trend of making attacks needlessly complicated specifically so that only the "good players" will be able to do them (For example Soul Calibur 5).

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 18, 2013, 01:25:19 pm »

Yeah but you would be surprised what games actually can be played better with a keyboard.

For example fighting games.

Source?

Mind you this is mostly because a lot of fighting games have this trend of making attacks needlessly complicated specifically so that only the "good players" will be able to do them (For example Soul Calibur 5).

Source?  Reason why that is a bad thing?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #344 on: March 18, 2013, 01:28:40 pm »

I personally find it a bit easier to hit 'Up Left Right Down Up X' than 'Quarter-Circle-Clockwise A Circle-Counterclockwise B' but I imagine many people are the opposite.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46