Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Waterlock(Or how to stop theoretical digging enemies)  (Read 18415 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Also, I wouldn't recommend supporting your entire fortress on Supports in case a FB or clown gets in there (they can breathe under water and destroy buildings).

1. Supports in most respects are invincible to building destroyers, as of yet.
2. Knowing that, the above are both excellent reasons to balance your fort on a single pillar of Dorfy symbolism.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile

Soo, why doesn't anyone just build a cave in generator above the sides of the waterlock?

Done right, you could drop an entire ring of obsidian and clear the whole perimeter.
This.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Soo, why doesn't anyone just build a cave in generator above the sides of the waterlock?

Done right, you could drop an entire ring of obsidian and clear the whole perimeter.
This.

How exactly is that related to a defensive mechanism designed to defend against tunnelling creatures?

edit: it's a moot point anyway - those are mined staircases.  The ring would stop on the top level and go no further
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:45:45 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile

Wait... staircases? What the hell do staircases have to do with anything?

Also, it was a response to dbay's post; rather than worry about traps on every level, you just have a generator. If somehow a aquatic/zombie miner gets through to the edge of the waterlock, you can drop a ring and the cave in will suck them into the shaft. If my memory of DF fall physics is correct, that means they will actually fall like there is nothing there, probably gibbing on the bottom.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or one could just make the Lock double thick.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about multiple attacks on the same level but different approach (angle, side, w/e), if that level loses pressure?

for non-flying diggers keep 1 empty space around the inner box's stairs (so that there are 2 spaces between where someone digs in and any constructions you want safe from invading building destroyers.)

to protect against aquatic diggers you might want to add an inner box floating in magma :)

or just the whole thing from the top with a single space around and a single deep wall. not water or magma needed. ... ooops, never mind that, without magma or water it wouldn't be df <g>

cheers!

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Couldn't you set it up with a double ring, with magma on the inner & 3/7 water in the outer?  Anything piercing the barrier would obsidian cast itself, wouldn't it?
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Wow, I'm amazed. Wouldn'y of ever though of it. Will be the first thing I build when that dreaded day comes.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I assume this would also exist in a theoretical build in that enemies can deconstuct walls, otherwise just brick-up your perimiter instead of leaving it as natural-stone.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm attempting to build this in my current fortress.  It's not going so well.  I've had to restart a few times.  I haven't even gotten close before encountering lots of !!FUN!!.  But, I've got the perfect defense for almost everything.  Without further ado, I present:

The Cave-in Cannon
         and
The Cave-in Curtain

Steps:
* Embark on an aquifer.
* Dig a 3 tile wide channel from the ground to the semi-molten rock.  (Block off the aquifer so it doesn't leak in, of course)
* Build a tower to the top of the map.

* Build fortifications 1 tile out from the edge at the top of the map.
* Build a magma pump to pump large amounts of magma to the top floor.  (Use screw pumps as walls to prevent backflow, to get the building-destroyer requirement above.)
* Pump magma so that it creates a constant lava-fall curtain around the entire outside edge.
* Turn the pump stack off once you verify that it works, so that you can complete the rest of the construction.

* Build a 1 tile wide bridge all around the edge of the tower on the floor just below the top.
* Build a water pump stack to pump large amounts of water to the second from top floor, and create a water-fall curtain falling off of the bridge.

* Turn the magma pump stack back on.

At this point, assuming my theory holds water, the magma will fall off the top around the entire edge.  The water will flow off the edge all around the second from top floor.  As it reaches the edge, it will combine with the lava to form obsidian.  The obsidian won't stick to the bridge, so it will start to fall.  The three tile wide channel ensures that it doesn't catch the edge anywhere.  (The obsidian should be falling through the middle of it.)  And the SMR at the bottom eats the obsidian, so that more of it can fall. 

The only things I can think of that can kill you would be a flying magma-proof digger & building destroyer that flies over the top, and that can be mitigated by using bait (statues around the edge?) to get it to fly through the falling obsidian curtain.  And the other killer would be the massive FPS drop. 

Edit: And ghosts.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:54:14 pm by Xob Ludosmbax »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

My idea?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Circusdawg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf is tired
    • View Profile

ust use floors they cannot dig those

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder if instead of having columns of only magma, have alternating columns in such a way that if they don't directly breach only a single column (in that case, they'll be pushed back by the water or magma) then they will diagonally breach both, in which case they both flow into the gap, sealing it in obsidian.  Hmm.  I wonder how we can deal with a direct breach of a single column, and if there is a way to make it auto-sealing like the enemy trying to dig between the columns would cause...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

I wonder if instead of having columns of only magma, have alternating columns in such a way that if they don't directly breach only a single column (in that case, they'll be pushed back by the water or magma) then they will diagonally breach both, in which case they both flow into the gap, sealing it in obsidian.  Hmm.  I wonder how we can deal with a direct breach of a single column, and if there is a way to make it auto-sealing like the enemy trying to dig between the columns would cause...

This gave me another idea.

Another possibility is a grid:

Those shafts are channeled shafts, and not columns of up/down stairs.  This is to prevent things from crossing right through a vertical shaft without breaching the opposite liquid shaft on the other side.  It is unlikely diggers will be able to do so while flying or swimming, or across a full 1z gap.

The supply for it at the top is rather complex, but nothing any player advanced enough to be doing something like this can't handle.  I created a diagram to explain a rather simple method of filling these shafts from the top (so that they're pressurized).

In this diagram, the water is supplied to the large blue square from one z-level above it.  The magma is supplied from that level.  The right side is the fort side.   The top one is one z-level above the bottom one.  This area is, by nature, constructed above the surface within your walls.  The big arrows show possible supply points for pressurized water / magma.

My advise would be to build this in sections, each one hydraulically isolated from the other in case one section is breached and thus depressurized.  This would ensure the integrity of other sections in case of an attack there.  A drain should be included in the bottom of each section to allow for the draining and repair of damaged parts.  I advise drop hatches into a large cistern under each shaft to allow for quick drainage and repair, even for the magma columns.  Drainage of the cistern is optional - you could always just obsidianize whatever lands down there and dig it out again.

A corner:

This is also the part where I put in a needless disclaimer that you should never use just one line of defense - if that line fails for any reason, you're screwed.  Defense in depth is key, the goal of this is not to stop an enemy forever but to slow an enemy this cannot destroy long enough for active defenses to respond..  I will note it will stop most things forever by the nature of magma.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

That's quite the clever design, Vehudur.  If I can suggest a modification though?

The magma should be filled from within, not from above.  Take the Z+1 level and remove the inner row past each magma column, making that the inlet channel for the red fun stuff.  You can then let Z+2 and the lowest level of the barrier be part of my basic all-enclosing waterlock design as a floor and ceiling  (with some sort of tunnel variation to encircle the magma pumpstack leading into the 'locked' area)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5