Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Waterlock(Or how to stop theoretical digging enemies)  (Read 18420 times)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

Zombie. Diggers.
Just add magma on top of the water.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Zombie. Diggers.
Just add magma on top of the water.
And then they dig through that.

I mean, a simpler solution would be (b) (c) (w). Or a cave in trap. Open spaces, like a cube within a larger cube super structure.

Kinda like the cube.

!!!

Ice trap.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

bcw will be fixed eventually.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

bcw will be fixed decimated eventually.

Sour

(Why fix that which is not borked?)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

I wonder if we'll ever get aquatic digging enemies? That would be really Fun, as they breach your fort and turn the pressure against you.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Supersnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Woodcrafter Competant Leatherworker
    • View Profile

Would this also work with zombie.  Despite the FPS death any digger breach that is non night creature can get mobed by dozens to hundreds of zombies which could theoretically wipe out an entire siege depending on biome.  Reset would be a whole other thing though.... ::)
Personally, I like it because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
If murdering parents in front of their kids in the most gruesome manner possible is too much for you, you have not played Dwarf Fortress
You should be drowning babies by now, human.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile

I wonder if we'll ever get aquatic digging enemies? That would be really Fun, as they breach your fort and turn the pressure against you.

Merfolk sappers and burrowers, who finally exact revenge upon the player base for our past atrocities.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Merfolk sappers and burrowers, who finally exact revenge upon the player base for our past atrocities.

It'd be fucking hilarious if Toady specifically coded Mermaids to try to flood your fort.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Aaaagh!  I just thought of something that might work far better.  A vertical checkerboard (yes, I know, I know) of 2x2 squares with alternating rows of magma and water between solid stone squares.  Granted, flow channels would be interesting to set up, but anything that digs into one of the solid squares will either get obsidianized or flooded with either liquid down their tunnel.  Complex to set up, but it'd probably be semi-self-sealing.

something like;

wwsswwss
wwsswwss
ssmmssmm
ssmmssmm
wwsswwss
wwsswwss

where w = water, s = stone and m = magma.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alternate solution: Make this without filling it with water. Enemies that don't fly can't get over.
If something flying comes, make a surge of water come from the top. Everything gets washed down (Spikes, anyone?) and away from area!
Just make 2 z-levels high gap between chamber bottom and cube. (And don't forget the drain!)
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What does flying have to do with a subterranean bunker?

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IF something flying AND digging comes, is what I meant.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile

Hmmm... for added fun, use retracting bridges for the ceiling and floor of the airlock. Shame there isn't a way to make the sides of the airlock retract as well though.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmmm... for added fun, use retracting bridges for the ceiling and floor of the airlock. Shame there isn't a way to make the sides of the airlock retract as well though.

That's what the floodgates basically do.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile

Don't they need to be built on floors though?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5