Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort  (Read 40928 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF Community Fort
« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2012, 10:40:55 am »

2nd Winter
Well, shit. Our inner defensive system collapsed (who knew a bridge couldn't support a wall on its own?), and the wall took a mason and a brewer with itself. This is a problem, since now, the tigermen could reach them. If we want to save the guys, we would need to lower the bridge, and send somebody out to get them... which is risky, but honestly, who could leave dwarves out there on their own?

Stupid question. Sir just issued the order to do exactly that, until we don't have any sensible defenses set up. I suppose he's not completely a heartless bastard: he lifted the ban on cage trap defense, so we'll just set a few traps near the new bridge, and use that against the invaders.

And now, the tigermen just plain left. Huh. Maybe it's the coming spring. You know... they are white... so... arctic animals, right? Like, they favor the cold or something. Shit. It would be nice to have somebody who knows a damn thing about these races. The three veterans probably do, but they only share details about how to kill them.

Today, a migrant wave came, boosting our population above 90. Most them will be decent workforce as usual, haulers, masons, farmers and the like. The ones that stand out in this group is a priest of Armok (that one creeps me the fuck out) and a master animal trainer. we don't have any war animals to speak of, but when this changes, this guy could come in handy.

My rooms are getting smoothed, and additional housing is under construction for important people. We have adequate quarters for Sir, Freya, Silus, Doc and the Metal Lady (and myself of course), but everybody else is still stuck in the small temporary rooms. The hammerer's hall is almost completed (although we don't exactly have a candidate for the office yet), and Sir wants the smiths housed near their workplace. Also we want to station the animal trainer near the holding pens, and promote him to dungeon master eventually - that still takes a bit of work, but it's a sensible goal.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 19, 2012, 01:03:00 pm »

3rd Spring
Things are quiet nowadays. I don't know for how long it'll stay that way, so I'm documenting the current state of affairs as long as I have time for it.

This is the entry level. As you can see, there have been a few improvements defense-wise. Even so, I don't have any illusions. If an invading army comes, we should just raise the bridges and hope for the best. Sir hates the idea - who doesn't? But with all his charisma, he can still do jack shit about it. We are not equipped for war yet.
At least our lavafall is quite fear-inducing.

Dining room and things like that. Chicken production skyrocketed recently, with a good number of chicks hatching. I like chickens. Dependable, delicious food supply.

Crafters' level. It would be really nice to have a bigger volcano here - space is kind of in-demand. We can still expand this a bit, but as you can see, not much.

Here be badasses. Military level, with the arena (first fight soon to come!), barracks for training, armory, and some ranger training area we have yet to use.

Now this is a tricky part. Mainly, it's animal training, but there's a little processing workshop to the North, future quarters of the dungeon master to the West, offices and housing for our future hammerer and myself (captain of the guard, I still can't believe it) in the middle. There are a couple of prison cells to the South. Actually, way more than a couple. There wasn't enough space for me to engrave all of them, but there are twenty. that should be more than enough.
We still don't have a hammerer - maybe Sir will appoint Panopticon. He serves in the Fortress Guard already, so it'd make sense for him to receive another peacekeeping rank, and he also uses a hammer in battle. We'll consult about this.

Metal ores' and bars' storage. This might look overwhelming at first, but it's actually very neatly organized.

Metal production. You can see we have quite an operation going: five smelters, five forges, and several other facilities. the three rooms on the southern side are for our top three smiths: the furnished one belongs to the Metal Lady of course, and the other two went to a grand master armorsmith and a grand master weaponsmith, who came in with a migrant wave together. The small room the the East is a work-in-progress church to Armok. there are already two shrines set up, where two of our least useful dwarves are constantly praying for water. Kind of a shitty solution, but we still don't want to have anything to do with caverns. Zin, the preacher is constantly nagging us to expand this shrine, but seriously, fuck that guy. He even creeps out Sir, and he's seen a couple of things at Shadytorments.
There's still room for expansion, but we need armed forces first. This goes well by the way: Every soldier has a steel weapon, breastplate, helm and greaves. Gauntlet and boot production will start as soon as we have more steel. Of course, Sir had a mithril zweihander forged for himself, so there's also that.

This looks totally safe and not risky at all.

Rooms for the plebs, and hospital, directly below the lavapit.

Housing for the important dwarfs. The militia commander Sir, the war hero Freya, the mayor Lucky Lur, and the bookkeeper... guy. Even I don't know his name.

There's nothing much below this, really. A bridge separates the mining tunnels from the fort, and that's it. I'd say we are doing fine, with few casualties and decent industry going on. We are kind of lacking in the defense department, but I hope that'll change soon.

(OOC: So... Panopticon. Wanna be our hammerer? Also: I fucked up Sir's room this time, and he has some clay tiles that cannot be smoothed... Meh.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 01:08:10 pm by Ishar »

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 19, 2012, 01:29:05 pm »

I want a dwarf... damn, where did this come from? Didnt realize it was here until now :D

Maybe a nice legion dwarf avaible to be named? :)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2012, 02:32:29 pm »

I don't have anything that would really suit you (definitely not a legion dwarf), but I have plenty of open spots in the military. The two new spearmen in Silus' squad are pretty badass for example. Or I could set you up with a raw recruit, and try to buff that up with training, equipment and kinf of exploit-y library training.
The fortress is up to 96 residents, and the pop cap is 100, so a migrant wave is not likely.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »

well, the raw recruit with the ability to whack enemys with books (thats library training, right?) it will be then.... Twohander, if possible ;)

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2012, 04:43:13 pm »

(OOC: So... Panopticon. Wanna be our hammerer?)

Yes, yes I would.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2012, 05:30:23 pm »

Kay. Tomorrow's update will be just a minor arena battle since I won't have time for more, but I'll have something a bit more... bigger for friday. And saturday, as one update will not be enough for this.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2012, 01:10:08 pm »

Sir decided to have the first arena fight for himself. the thing is, he was still a bit grumpy about the centaur incident, and it just so happens that we had a captive centauress. Oh boy.

That was very quick and very bloody. Then again, what did I expect? It's the esteemed veteran commander of Shadytorments with an exceptional mithril zeihander, fighting an unarmed centaur. There wasn't exactly any other way this could have ended.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2012, 03:15:22 pm »

Interesting, he severed the upper torso, but the fight didn't end until he severed the lower torso as well.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2012, 05:42:55 am »

It isn't over till it's over.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2012, 11:55:30 am »

Maybe the upper torso just means the part with the behind two legs. Loosing that is painful, but a centaur may be able to fight after that.... But he would certainly die because of the bloodloss close after...

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2012, 12:17:24 pm »

3rd Summer
The kittens are back. Good. Most of us were eager for a crack at them at the first time anyway. Doc warned everybody to be careful, as we still don't exactly have any real water source to care for the injured. Sir assembled the mighty military inside the defensive line, inspected the troops, and he was content with our soldiers: 12 steelclad dwarves should be more than enough to deal with a couple of catpeople. Now let's see what pathetic force they have!

Bastards.

Anyway, there was a scouting party ahead of the rest. The plan was to let those guys in, the traps were to capture the first few idiots who rushed in, and the military was on mop-up duty. Sir called it 'standard procedure', but for those of us who haven't been in a real battle, letting any part of this army inside was pretty scary.

First, we had to do something about the dragons, they were the vanguard of our destruction. Sir was thinking for a while, and then reluctantly set up a few cage traps, then lowered the bridge. The beasts rushed in, and promptly got captured by traps... except one. 'Meh' said Sir, and ordered us to charge.
That wasn't pretty. Sizir, a new recruit met the dragon first, and got his ass kicked... badly. First, the beast clawed his right hand, disarming him completely, and with his trusty zweihander in the dirt, he was no match for his opponent. After a swift change of blows, the dragon just plain bit his head clean off. It was quite a gruesome scene.
Of course, the battle wasn't nearly over. Sir and Sarvesh followed the fallen Sizir, and if the thing thought every dwarf was as weak as his first victim, it was in for a hell of a surprise. With his very first strike, Sir slashed open its torso, even brusing the heart a little. Stunned by this sudden wound, the commander was able to score another solid, crippling hit to a foot, before the dragon had chance to counter. It used the claws again, perhaps hoping to disable this enemy the same way it did with the last. The slash made contact, and Sir stumbled back a bit, but managed to hold his footing. With an injured arm, he didn't have the strength to finish the dragon anymore, but he didn't have to.
Sarvesh came in from behind, and managed to break three of the beast's legs, even fracturing its tail. That immobilized it long enough to let the blood loss take its toll, and the dragon soon fell down, dead before our mighty warriors. That'll give the tigermen something to think about.

Even though this skirmish could be considered a success (taking down a dragon is no small feat), the loss of Sizir urged Sir to be more careful with the next wave. He decided it was time for the Metal Lady to show what she'd learned: we have sixty mithril bars. It was time to forge weapons.

(More of this insanity tomorrow. It will only get bloodier, as you might expect.)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2012, 12:29:15 pm »

Meanwhile, in the tigermen camp:

"Lets gather our warbeasts, mighty dragons and sauropods, to bear down upon our enemies"
"Sir, we do not have enough beasts for each soldier"
"But we must have, otherwise they fall behind"
"Well, we could be using the Giraffes"
"The WHAT?"
"We keep Giraffes as food for the dragons... maybe..."
"Ok, wartrain them and send them along."

And so it came that a group of very bewildered looking tigermen rode into battle on even more bewildered looking war giraffes. Trying to hide in shame between the massive sauropods.

War Giraffe
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:32:50 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2012, 12:34:23 pm »

No Meph, you have never played a mech game:

Big mechs (sauropods in this case) hit hard and can take punishment, but smaller mechs (giraffes) are faster, more maneuverable, and they get underestimated.... Well, maybe the tigermen were just riding on their provisions....

But giraffes are deadly, they aim for heads a lot of times

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2012, 12:48:07 pm »

No Meph, you have never played a mech game:

Big mechs (sauropods in this case) hit hard and can take punishment, but smaller mechs (giraffes) are faster, more maneuverable, and they get underestimated.... Well, maybe the tigermen were just riding on their provisions....

But giraffes are deadly, they aim for heads a lot of times

That may be true, but they are very vulnerable to adequate weaponry.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16