Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How long does it usually take before the Fun starts happening?  (Read 5120 times)

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'm trying to get into Fortress Mode, but as my ADHD-addled mind is wont to do, I'm having some trouble. It just seems like the FUN isn't happening quickly enough. Right now all I've done is set up workshops/farms/etc., begin mining some of the stone layers, and get to work on digging out bedrooms.

So...how long does it usually take before things start going horribly wrong hilariously wrong both?
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: How long does it usually take before the Fun starts happening?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:47:14 pm »

That completely depends on what you do in-game.  If you're in a biome with creatures that like to snack on dwarfs, then fun could start as soon as they migrate in.  Ditto for underground wildlife, although it doesn't sound like you've breached the caverns yet.  Assuming that goblin civs have access to your location, they'll eventually start sending "welcoming" parties, which can easily clear out an unprepared fortress.  Timing on goblins depends on location, wealth produced and other factors, but they generally don't show up in the first year.  When everyone's clothing starts to rot off they'll go berzerk if you don't replace it.

Really, any number of things can (and will!) go horribly wrong.  Chances are good it'll happen for you all at once.
At last, she is done.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:46 pm »

Depends on where you go, how badly you prep, and how ineptly you plan your megaproject. I've had forts last five years with no significant dramas. I've had them slaughtered within the first year by rampaging giant keas.

If you want to get wiped out that badly, just embark on a terrifying glacier and hope for the worst.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:51 pm »

Well, I'm in a medium savagery area and there's plently of Goblins around, so I guess I won't have to wait very long anyway.

Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 11:01:29 pm »

Remember, manipulating fluids is a sure-fire way to quickly up the fun-quotient.

If you haven't already done so, start bringing magma up to the surface to fuel your forges and ad hoc traps.

Fill a muitiple z-level cistern so your dwarves always have access to clean water.  Be sure to utilize a fortress-crossing aqueduct.
At last, she is done.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:37:53 pm »

Damn, you guys weren't kidding about evil biomes.

I decided to embark on a terrifying biome just to see how they were.

I was instantly beset by a Giant Mosquito Zombie. I put everyone in the military, and they managed to kill it.

Then I checked the units screen and OH FUCK 10+ GIANT THRIPS ZOMBIES

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 11:57:01 pm »

For me, fun inevitably happens in about fifteen years fortress time. That's around the time when I've got a capital, have everything established and running smoothly, and am starting to get bored...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:52:35 am »

I was instantly beset by a Giant Mosquito Zombie. I put everyone in the military, and they managed to kill it.

Then I checked the units screen and OH FUCK 10+ GIANT THRIPS ZOMBIES

I like crossbows.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 02:55:42 am »

embark near a Tower, necromancers show up earlier than goblins and are a special kind of fun
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 03:00:20 am »

Just dig straight down and open the door on the clowncar.

Clowns are always fun!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 03:25:47 am »

Seems to me he's having enough fun with zombies already.

It's amusing (pardon the pun) that in this game, whenever you got someone complaining that his fort isn't fun enough, most of the time Armok will send soon a wave of !!FUN!! to your fort.

Last time I felt the small war elephant sieges weren't large enough, I got a 120-war-elephant-siege next time.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 03:31:41 am »

I hate zombies with a passion because you can't even kill them in magma. So I don't embark in evil biomes or near towers, but I do love sieges and wars and megabeasts so I crank up the numbers for the latter and get fortress defense for the former.

Then I lose because I don't have enough military ( and I don't use cage traps because they're almost like cheating ) but it's still Fun when I hope my militia commander survives that infection because OH GOD WHY ISN'T THE PUMPS DONE YET DON'T YOU SEE WE NEED CLEAN WATER
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 03:57:29 am »

embark on an aquifer, problem solved :)
Since I learned quantummenace method I always embark on those. The setting I look for is
aquifer
shallow and deep metals, necro tower.
 I deal with the zombies with a one z level dodge me pit, a lot of traps, spikes and crossbows.
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 04:14:49 am »

Always ensure your terrifying embark has at least some non terrifying ground to put your fort/ for your consecrated graveyard.
If you find yoru zombies too tough fun you can change the raws so they respawn monthly rather than weekly which gives your haulers time to remove the battered corpses before they reanimate..
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 09:01:59 am »

depends on the length of your worldgen me thinks; i did a half terrifying, half badlands embark with a 1000yr history and decided to just dig in, setup a 5 story storage/production/living center for 20 guys slowly and within 2 years was watching ambushers and siegers butcher each other while the liason just ran across the map madly; this does not usually happen for me when there's less history. 
Pages: [1] 2 3