_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5937293 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: 6 months of alien brain rape and counting
« Reply #6495 on: September 04, 2012, 10:02:23 am »

First, chop off one of my own fingers and place the equivalent finger from Cloud on the stump.  If nothing happens, throw it away and put my own finger back, if it gets fused to the stump, chop it off and place the original finger in its place.

((Finger roulette!  I love how no one cared that you were looting fingers from the corpse.  I guess they'd soon be chicken fingers Meat #2 anyway.))

Brother Lars, concluding his silent meditation, observes the rec room he's in to see if there are any hidden features he has missed.

((Also, I'm pretty sure putting a generator on a manipulator is actually common practice.  I believe the Avatar of War has one, and IIRC I've heard of constant manipulators running elsewhere as well.  Makes you wonder if you could make a vehicle out of a vector manipulator...

Ooo.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: 6 months of alien brain rape and counting
« Reply #6496 on: September 04, 2012, 10:03:56 am »

"Hey, Steve does my permanent power source laser rifle count as a prototype?"

Shout out of VR before charging to front lines with both plasma projecters.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: September 04, 2012, 10:04:36 am »

Watch mission information from the previous 5 missions. Take notes as to what went wrong each time, and how it could have been done better.
((Good luck writing that book.))

((It's simply so that my character knows about what happened before, not actually expecting gm to write a synopsis for every mission that has passed already.))

((Actually, I meant that if IC you would actually make notes of everything that went wrong and how it could have been done better, the notes would probably amount to a book-length piece of work.))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: September 04, 2012, 10:20:58 am »

((Also, I'm pretty sure putting a generator on a manipulator is actually common practice.  I believe the Avatar of War has one, and IIRC I've heard of constant manipulators running elsewhere as well.  Makes you wonder if you could make a vehicle out of a vector manipulator...))
((They charge an arm and a leg for manipulator batteries, so it would be wise to exchange the battery for a generator, if only for the manipulator you use as your primary weapon. I mean, the GravFM batteries cost five freaking tokens apiece. Of course, if the team generator idea will be implemented, that is likely to never be a problem. That is, until some smartass decides stealing your Universal Field Manipulator battery (12 tokens) while it recharges and selling it for quick and easy cash would be a great idea.

On the subject of manipulator vehicles, that is sort of what I'm doing right now. I'm making what amounts to a utility crane, which I think might be useful for, say, lifting boulders and debris off people, nabbing artifacts big and small from dangerous spots and even providing airlifts for the team. My other idea was a personal gravity alteration unit, made from a Gravity Field Manipulator. It'd be like a super jumping device and a safeguard against falls rolled into one. The VFM vehicle is also a viable idea, though not necessarily useful in most situations. You could also make a MicroFM tool that works like a cutting torch.))
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:14:06 am by Harry Baldman »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6499 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:24 am »

((Is there a 2-token or 1-token generator? Does the manipulator run indefinitely on that as well? Also, what kinds of calculations are performed to operate the MagFM?))
Summon up a claw (like a claw-machine claw without the wires, plus with a clawspan of about 1 meter and 4 digits to grasp with, all of it made of a strong, lightweight ferromagnetic metal or fancy alloy). See if the manipulator user can lift it and hold it up indefinitely at a certain height while still being able to move it on a horizontal plane. Also see if the claws can be gently opened by the MU without damaging them at the same time as the first two movements are taking place.
(It would. The Manipulators, at least lower level ones, use very little energy. As per the calculations...they're the kind of calculations that you can only make at 8 int.)

As per that claw, assuming the user is always rolling  5's and isn't constrained by the fact that using the manipulator mentally fatigues them to the point of being incapable of continuing, then yes, they could hold it in the air and move it around how ever they want.

[aux:6+1]
You create a program that you hope will function as the semi-automated firing system, however when you test it you discover that it has a nasty habit of randomly firing upon any moving targets, including your feet.
((This is d6 right? Was that a bad roll just now or a good one? I'll assume it was a good one for now and that I just need to make some more changes.))

Attach a laser-designator to right side of the suit's helmet with a link to the weapon system. Add a cursor to the Suit's HUD that indicates where the laser-designator is pointed. Make an addendum to the weapon system's program that orders the gimbal to point the weapon towards the target designated by the laser. Test the weapon on simulated targets for accuracy, and determine how far the weapon can rotate to the left((I forgot to specify that the weapon is located on my right shoulder)) before being unable to fire upon targets. Add a three-dimensional object recognition software to the mount in order to facilitate more effective targeting capabilities, and upload data on all known hostile entity anatomy((the laser-designator serves to indicate a target's silhouette, which the 3D sensor locks on to, and then I indicate the amount of time the weapon should fire)). Update the weapon's software as needed and subsequently test the weapon on simulated targets for accuracy.
You add the laser designator and the reticule for using it easily enough and try to program the weapon to follow it.
[aux:1+1]
But you can't quite figure out how to link the two systems up as you imagined.

Lukas takes a look at all the new guys walking around, wondering whether he should introduce himself. "Aaaw, fuck it."

Go watch television with Bishop instead. Attempt to sit on the couch.
You thud your way over to the couch and sit down. The couch crunches beneath you, pulverized flat beneath your weight.  Bishop just keeps changing channels.

Ignore the tinkerer programs suggestion.
Begin building a sentry gun system from scratch that must be carried into place and then deployed

You're going to have to be a bit more specific, such as:
What type of gun should it use?
What is its power source?
What kind of placement system should it have? Tripod? Flat base?
What kind of targeting system is it going to use? Radar? Visual?

((The reason that I'd like approved weapons to also open up for the public is that, if you're building something else but run into a problem, you could ask the computer to search in past projects for similar problems, and how their designers dealt with it.))

'Aah, perfect, thank you Steve.'
Watch mission information from the previous 5 missions. Take notes as to what went wrong each time, and how it could have been done better.

((Also, I don't know if this has been proposed before, but i'm going to start a project to build a generator with multiple 'slots' to recharge weapons. The idea would be that it remains on-station, to refuel your weapons between missions. That way, it wouldn't be overly expensive, seeing how we can make the generator as big as it's needed to be. If it succeeds, then you would only need to buy a weapon, and maybe 1 spare clip, and you'd be set. And I think we could pool tokens, seeing how it would be a project that benefits everybody. What do you guys think? I'm gonna start working as soon as i'm ready with the mission material, and I'll announce it over the ship 'coms so that you can come help me, if you want. ))

[int:3] Hmm the main problem appears to be that the teams didn't coordinate their actions well. That and the fact that they seem to have been filled with idiots.

((Excellent idea there, and it probably wouldn't even need to be that powerful of a generator, because missions are so long.))

((This is why I requested the open info thing, 'cause i believe we'll run into problems regarding generators, capacitators and/or transformers, and if i recall well, there have been projects who have dealt with that sort of stuff before. I'll start designing when next turn comes around.

@ GM: is it possible for this generator to be my 'free prototype', or does that count for weapons and armor only? Alternatively, what do you think the chances are of the AM building this for us, seeing how we'd be taking away some off her revenue.))

Well, prototypes are given for new things, not just generators with what amounts to power adapters on them. You'll find that you may have to do more then just have a generator though, since, for instance, the laser rifle uses non-rechargeable chemical batteries.  As per the armory master, she doesn't care about making tokens.

Give Lucas the remote and go to the armory master. Ask if she has hand to hand combat manuals that are useful to read.
You throw the remote to Lukas and head to the armory master to inquire about books that explain how to punch people in the face.

"We have a few, mostly army manuals, but they're all pretty obvious stuff like stabbing in the vital areas and not being stabbed yourself. If you really feel like learning something though, you could talk to The Doc. Melee combat was always his forte"

First, chop off one of my own fingers and place the equivalent finger from Cloud on the stump.  If nothing happens, throw it away and put my own finger back, if it gets fused to the stump, chop it off and place the original finger in its place.

((Finger roulette!  I love how no one cared that you were looting fingers from the corpse.  I guess they'd soon be chicken fingers Meat #2 anyway.))

Brother Lars, concluding his silent meditation, observes the rec room he's in to see if there are any hidden features he has missed.

((Also, I'm pretty sure putting a generator on a manipulator is actually common practice.  I believe the Avatar of War has one, and IIRC I've heard of constant manipulators running elsewhere as well.  Makes you wonder if you could make a vehicle out of a vector manipulator...

Ooo.))
It appears that the rec room can be used to to fly! Oh wait, no. That would be stupid. It doesn't look like there is anything hidden around here, just the normal vr machines, tv, newly broken couch, computers, exercise machines, sparring area, and pingpong and air hockey tables.

"Hey, Steve does my permanent power source laser rifle count as a prototype?"

Shout out of VR before charging to front lines with both plasma projecters.

>Strapping a generator to a laser rifle isn't exactly a new invention.

You charge toward the front lines, scanning the area for somewhere where you might be of use. It looks like there's a vehicle being over run by altered, a trench full of men trying to fend off an invasion of the bastards and a rather large looking lump of flesh on multiple legs lumbering toward the front lines, clearly with ill intent.

Of note: I'll probably be rebalancing the cost for manipulator batteries. They are as they are right now for a game balancing reason, but I went overboard and it doesn't actually make sense in universe. What will happen is you'll probably see all the batteries become a single cost, since, in universe, all manipulators use the same amount of energy.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: September 04, 2012, 11:40:00 am »

Design it to use a high power laser rifle with variable fire settings of single shot , 3 round burst of fully automatic , Operated by a power source similar to that of a MK III suit. Place it on a tripod with a ball and socket joint allowing for a 360 degree field of fire. Use a variable targeting system capable of radar , visual or voice command targeting. Also build in a wireless up link system to allow it to send data directly to the owners HUD in real time.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: September 04, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »

Add transceivers to both the manipulator and the claw, so that their relative location can be gauged. Create a joystick with one stick and three buttons to the right of it - a red one marked "OPEN CLAW" and two blue buttons marked "UP" and "DOWN", grouped by color. Use the one-token generator for MagFM power. The joystick should not be wireless.
Now for the main component!
Summon a datapad. Remove all extraneous bits such as built-in screens and keyboards, leaving the integral computer parts (CPU and other stuff) and storage medium intact. Preserve (or create) functional external video output port, keyboard input port, joystick input port, command output port, also give the datapad a more compact, durable plastic shell. Plug the joystick into the appropriate port.
Connect the transceiver to the datapad as well. Finally, install a command input port to the manipulator. Connect the two command ports as tightly and inextricably as possible.
Okay, now I have to find somebody who can understand the crazy math in these things and program the all-important stuff.
See if I can message the smartest fellow I know, Mesk, while in VR. If I can, pester him.
"Hey, uh, Mesk. Remember how I gave you this token out of the kindness of my heart instead of using it to buy all kinds of wicked crazy armament? Well, I have something you might come in handy for. Know anything about programming computers? Also, how good are you at math?"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:37:24 pm by Harry Baldman »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: September 04, 2012, 12:19:59 pm »

Assist the troops in the trench and if possible raise morale.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: September 04, 2012, 12:22:13 pm »

((Oooh. I like the Doctor. Cold, unfeeling, and a master of melee combat.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: September 04, 2012, 12:28:40 pm »

((Any useful vehicle should be powerful enough to carry its own power source, especially given the possibilities given by future tech.))

Lars eyes the couch.  Well, this is something he can do!  He approaches the metal man.

"Sir, please stand from this broken couch- I wish to repair it."

Fix the couch!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread: 6 months of alien brain rape and count
« Reply #6505 on: September 04, 2012, 12:34:06 pm »

((Oooh. I like the Doctor. Cold, unfeeling, and a master of melee combat.))
((The confirmation he is a master in melee combat rose my level of appreciation for him. Although it had already skyrocketed with the surgery he had performed on Cloud. Can't dislike the main NPCs of the ship, really.

Unless you are on their bad side.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: September 04, 2012, 12:45:40 pm »

((So if the Doc is the melee master, and the AM is the amp master, who's the conventional master?

Logic demands it must be Nyars.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: September 04, 2012, 12:47:31 pm »

((@ baldman: i get a natural +1 to aux, so i could help with programming stuff, i think

[int:3] Hmm the main problem appears to be that the teams didn't coordinate their actions well. That and the fact that they seem to have been filled with idiots.
Lovely :)

Well, prototypes are given for new things, not just generators with what amounts to power adapters on them. You'll find that you may have to do more then just have a generator though, since, for instance, the laser rifle uses non-rechargeable chemical batteries.  As per the armory master, she doesn't care about making tokens.

Darn, didn't know about the chemical batteries. Are there other weapons/utilities whose batteries also aren't rechargeable?

We'll may have to design new batteries too, in this case.

Of note: I'll probably be rebalancing the cost for manipulator batteries. They are as they are right now for a game balancing reason, but I went overboard and it doesn't actually make sense in universe. What will happen is you'll probably see all the batteries become a single cost, since, in universe, all manipulators use the same amount of energy.

Happy to hear this, seeing how i'll be using manipulators extensively. Am I correct in the assumption that the user is worn down due to the exhausting calculations one needs to make? Would it be feasible, then, to channel part of the workload to a computer, thereby lessening the drain on Will?))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: September 04, 2012, 12:56:21 pm »

((@ baldman: i get a natural +1 to aux, so i could help with programming stuff, i think))
((Sorry, your intelligence is only 6, and you need at least 8 to understand and make the necessary calculations. Mesk has a 10 in intelligence and a natural +1 to aux, though he does have a -1 to unconventional. Aside from May (who has a -1 to aux, but has the requisite intelligence and a +1 to unconventional weapons), he is the only one smart enough to understand the MagFM.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: September 04, 2012, 12:57:41 pm »

Lukas takes a look at all the new guys walking around, wondering whether he should introduce himself. "Aaaw, fuck it."

Go watch television with Bishop instead. Attempt to sit on the couch.
You thud your way over to the couch and sit down. The couch crunches beneath you, pulverized flat beneath your weight.  Bishop just keeps changing channels. 
((Wrec room.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 2101