Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Their Coming Is At Hand - an Eldritch Horror RTD (Turn 10! Spots open!)  (Read 33611 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Their Coming Is At Hand - an Eldritch Horror RTD (Turn 7! Spots open!)
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2012, 06:58:11 am »

Dreams, man. Who knows. Maybe you have a secret untapped source of endless words and my mind wants to help yours.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2012, 07:34:07 am »

In all seriousness, I shouldn't be expecting a turn any time soon should I? I'm much too anxious for this to get updated >.>
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2012, 08:05:45 am »

I was thinking tomorrow. I generally update NtR and this in short (hey, for me atleast!) succession and then slack off for a few years before updating again.

Actually, I might just start writing now. Yes, I think I'll do that. Hmm hmm.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2012, 12:01:02 pm »

Dreams, man. Who knows. Maybe you have a secret untapped source of endless words and my mind wants to help yours.
Well, if it would help your mood, I'd like to say that this uplifted my night. :))

Spectr

• Bay Watcher
  • Watching Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2012, 02:55:15 pm »

This is awesome! Can you put me in on reserve?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Word

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2012, 03:00:25 pm »

Of course! Whew, I feel safer with people on the waiting list at last. Now I can start killing off players!

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2012, 07:30:38 pm »

In as an Enemy

Name/Title: Ke'l Gthahn, The Solitary Light
Enemy Form: Abyssal/Dreamsinger
Form/Description: Somewhere between an octopus and an angler fish, Ke'l Ghahn is a giant tentacled mass of flesh, with odd bulbs of pulsating and hypnotic light spread over it's surface. Near each bulb is a mouth full of huge fangs, surrounded by small bleak eyes.
Ke'l Gthahn whispers softly to it's lights in the deep blackness of the Abyss, and those near only a single light source (candles or lightbulbs especially) can hear the sibilant and calm tone of it's corrupt words, though they never recognize the lies it utters, even as the words twist around their subconscious. It specializes in despoiling the minds of those that should be beacons of faith or hope, and it's relatively small cult holds their blasphemous rituals in small churches, slowly spreading the taint throughout the groups of the normal people that come to pray to their varied gods.

Of course, if Ke'l Gthahn ever were to actively "step" forth itself, the bulbs emit pulses of light that are both soothing and hypnotic, causing it's victims to either fall asleep or, for the more willful, simply walk within easy reach of it's powerful tentacles and one of it's many horrible maws. Those that fall asleep would usually be completely controlled, with re-written memories and desire, to cause them to be fanatically loyal to their "guiding light".

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2012, 09:24:57 pm »

Holy crap, I leave for a week and still not turn. I'm going to be gone for another week so please auto me.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2012, 10:54:29 pm »

PM that ToD.  :P

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2012, 04:50:07 am »

PM? Why?

@mcclay: Indeed. Your part of the next update is already written up, though, and I'll finish and post the thing today. Just sayin'

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2012, 05:53:22 am »

Awaiting the next turn near-breathlessly, then. Much like NtR, but I don't have much interesting to do in that yet, so this takes priority for breathless waiting! :D
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2012, 12:07:01 pm »

Turn 8

Calla
Just try to let them know what's up, screw the fellowship's selfishness these people need help if it can be got

In the end, you do what the Fellowship would never expect you to do. Hoping the soldiers don't have orders to shoot on sight, you take a deep breath and step out to the open street.

Searchlights snap to you at once, several overlapping shouts of 'halt!' barked out simultaneously. You shield your eyes, taking a step to the left so they can see you properly. Someone shouts into a megaphone, [6] and you reach out and pick the language out of the soldiers' minds. In a few seconds, you've absorbed even the finest nuances of the Portuguese language like you'd have spoken it from birth.

'...get down on your knees with your hands where we can see them. You are trespassing on-' the megaphone voice continues, finally making sense.

'Look! She's bleeding! She's hurt!' another cuts in, your enchanced senses clearly picking up both. You glance down at your wounds, but they're still far from killing you. In fact, they seem to have improved somewhat.

The megaphone voice pauses, though you pick up comments spoken to the side. Then, after a moment's pause, four soldiers exit the barricade and approach you on the street. Their leader seems to be a lieutenant or equilevant, from what little you've picked up from Fellowship ranks.

'Miss? You shouldn't be here. The evacuation center is on the other side of town,' he says, more gently. The others have their weapons lowered, seeing no threat from you. They look so soft, so unprepared for what's coming. 'Do you require medical assistance?'

You think on what to say. While they obviously have some intel on the Deep One, given the extreme response - a Fellowship of their own working with the government? - you're not sure how much he's been briefed. [2+1=3] His surface thoughts are confused and focused on you, mostly, so it's hard to tell either way.

[6][5+1=6] But you don't have much time in any case. You realize that while they may or may not believe words, you have other means to transmit information.

'I'm sorry this is the way I have to do it,' you say softly. The lieutenant frowns, opening his mouth for a question, but you cut him short.

You sift through your mind, visualizing the memories you want the soldiers to know. You start with your identity, knowing masking your nature is impossible in any case, paint an unflattering image of the Fellowship and its involvement in the world, then snap the vague warnings from their minds and link them with the fall of the Fellowship HQ and the sheer impossible size and presence of the being Gaugathun, seeding through fear you hadn't realized you still felt. Last, you plant a crystal-clear image of the artifact and your burning need to get to it to save the city.

You stumble back, caught in the backlash of their shock and innate disgust at being invaded in this manner. You feel part of the same, oddly enough.

'You can't stop it without the artifact,' you say, though they know the truth of it - or atleast your belief in it - already. 'I have to get up there.'

You realize the soldiers have all gone pale, staring at you still in shock. One clutches his head, muttering a silent prayer. None are pointing their guns at you, atleast not yet. They don't seem to be in any state to do anything, so you begin to push past them towards the barricade [5] - when you feel an arm on your shoulder. You turn to see the lieutenant, his features blank.

'We have a car. It's faster,' he simply says. Then, like he'd never been influenced, he begins barking orders again. This snaps the soldiers out of their stupor - and by the time you've crossed inside the barricade you see an armoured jeep with its engine already running.

'I won't pretend to understand what just happened, but-' the lieutenant starts as you approach, but pauses abruptly. His hand goes to his ear and you pick up words on the edge of your hearing from his commbead. Slowly, he turns towards the sea.

A few moments later artillery emplacements on the hills above you begin firing into the night. You follow the curve of their shells as they make their way across the city sky and into the glistening ocean surface.

The night is lit up by an impact flash as one shell hits something. In the fragment of a second it lasts, you make out all-too familiar black carapace climbing out from beneath the surface.

Spoiler: wolfchild (click to show/hide)

Alex Vondgas
Alex follows Theo back to the boat, some what unsure of what to say.

The agent takes your silence as acknowledgement and turns his attention to the others as you make your way back into the boat. You search the horizon for the Titan, but it appears it's too far away for even your advanced senses to pick out. Still, you'd like to get back on solid ground sooner rather than later and say as much. The agents seem happy to comply and soon the yacht is speeding along the coast back towards the harbor. They remain silent for the duration of the journey, even Lucia, who seems to be on the verge of crying.

[5] Mid-way there, you spot local police boats heading for the open sea in the distance. The yacht keeps its distance from them, not wanting to attract any more attention.

You move fast enough for the city you've been staying at to come into view. The driver guides the boat into harbor, and finally, you step on the wharf again.

'We'll need to get to the hotel and ouf of here as soon as possible. I don't know how the Thai government is going to react to everything, but I have a feeling the country won't be overflowing with air traffic soon,' Theo says. The streets are strangely empty, and distant public service announcements blare in the background, coming over the noise of a metropolis. 'Felix, head for the airport. Secure the Foundation jet and see how bad it's going to be. Agent Deronda, try to get Greyson on the phone. He's probably starting to panic, let him know she's alright.'

The two agents and acknowledge. Rodriguez sets out nearly running and Deronda begins hammering away at his phone. A few minutes later he drops it from his ear and shrugs. 'I can't get through,' he says. Theo tells him to keep trying.

Fifteen minutes later, under the expert commands of Theo, you've packed your stuff and ready to go. The hotel staff is nowhere to be seen, so Theo simply leaves the money on the desk along with the key. You only pause to glance at a vague TV news report - nobody seems to know anything yet, but the government obviously hasn't clamped down on information yet either. Chaos is better than decisive action on their part if you intend to get out.

[3] You're on the road when Rodriguez calls.

'I've got bad news for you. Nobody's leaving - I don't know if they've even seen our beastie yet, but from what I can tell this stuff is going on all over the world,' he says. 'It's pretty chaotic around here, though. They haven't officially banned us from leaving yet. If you can sneak in here, we could try to make a break for it, hope nobody flies after us.' 

Combatants
Spoiler: Friendlies (click to show/hide)
---

Spoiler: mcclay (click to show/hide)

Turiel
Turiel breathed deep from his mask and switched on the radio after deciding to head back home. It was a relief to see the monstrosity down and done for, the well-being of the people would continue - albeit stifled by the colossal fissures and 'blood' of the titan. He had to report this, for this was no random occurrence.

He picked up the radio and began his report.

"KOSCHEI fighter inbound, command. Do you read me, over."

There is a slight pause before you're answered.

'Yes, we read you, Operative. Please stand by. We are transmitting image data,' the reply goes. After a while, your cockpit computer lights up with several images. A few seconds later one of them fills the screen. Despite the poor lightning in the image, you make out a vast semi-humanoid shape of cragged rock, like a massive rock sculpture, standing inert in a vast artificial cavern. Several other images confirm this soon enough. It looks all too familiar. Before you can say anything, the first images are replaced by another batch - you see dust-covered carapace-like hide covering a massive cylinderical shape - you notice buildings and tiny specks of people in the corner and realize it must be kilometres long. It's followed by a featureless, elongated humanoid skull made up of what seem to be thousands of tiny bio-mechanical components.

'Did the... enemy correspond to any of these general types?' Ark Command asks. Surprised, you confirm the first image. There is a muffled curse from over the channel.

'Thank you, Operative. Now, tell us what you can.'

[5] Your report is thorough, stressing the effectiveness of your boosted Nexus Field in improving the missiles' bite. You explain how the unupgraded fighters did manage to damage the Titan despite losing two of their number, allowing you to finish the job. You note the strange shut-downs caused by the giant's roar and throw a guess on its effective radius. You mention this and other things as you make your way back to the Projekt grounds and begin your descent.

'Excellent work, Operative. Was there anything else you wanted to mention? Any questions?'

---

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Alexei Zielkov

Alexei sighed. His superiors usually gave a heads-up about reinforcements exactly due to the fact an unit involved in a high-risk was prone to shooting first and asking questions later, which meant high probabilities of any unexpected reinforcements having to fight it out against the previously sent forces.

But even so, only two people did not form a squad formidable enough to be a counter-attack against them, unless there were more operatives in the hiding. The supersoldier rose an eyebrow.

Call the HQ and ask information about the people in front of the doors. If they have no idea, take a picture with any special device (agents should have something along the lines of a silent high-definition camera) and send it to HQ to analysis.

If the men try to enter the warehouse, call them out.

[2] Alexei, still unsure on who the new arrivals are, decides to call for instructions. Agent Rotov takes up a guarding position towards the doors. You begin fiddling with your comms and wait for the familiar click of connection, but there's nothing. After a few tries, you have to give up.

'I'm not getting through,' you mutter aloud.

'Is that normal? Sorry, I guess not. Stupid question,' Rotov says, giving a little forced laugh.

You abruptly realize the Society might not want you telling too much to him. You've noticed that they're often reluctant on sharing information with Moscow even though you're supposed to be allies. You don't know if this is a good thing, but the Society is always right in the end.

You consider possible reasons. It would be easy to jump to conclusions and claim interference, but it might just be that the lines are busy, so to speak. You're not sure if that would happen from anything short of a planet-wide apocalypse, though. Or perhaps they don't directly want you to contact them - someone could be listening.

[1] You're cut short regardless as Rotov mouths a warning and raises his gun, shifting to a more stable position. You put your hand to your gun as well, though you're potentially more deadly without them.

The front doors, several rooms away from you, fly open. The first man to come in is the big one. Concealed in shadows, you can't make out his features. He gestures towards the elevators and two others move in with assault rifles. You motion Rotov to stay low and take step forward, raising your hand. You're confident you can move aside if they turn hostile.

'Stop right there!' you shout, feeling somewhat unsure of what to say, 'Who are you? Why are you here?'

The big man turns to you, and you can see his smile even in the darkness. He gives quick orders to the two others, who disappear from your sight.

'Agent Zielkov,' the man starts, his voice low and deep. 'Good to see you. Tamaz Glazunov, A2. They thought you might need some back-up - I told them you could handle it, but they were insistent. My apologies for the abrupt entrance, I have a... dramatic flair, of sorts.'

He grins broadly, eyes passing Rotov behind you. You look him over - I2 is the second line of supersoldiers produced by the Society, still the early stages. They refined the process many times after it, eventually culminating in your I5. He looks like it, too, a giant of man that would stand out anywhere. He's still nowhere near your enchanced physique.

'What's the situation? Where is Doctor Tourigny?' he asks.

Combatants (Altar Chamber)

Combatants (Entrance)

---

Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPC Watchman (click to show/hide)

Alfonz Wulfric
Numerous thoughts ran through Alfonz's mind as he tried to form a plan to stop the mutations before him, taking a deep breath he began to try and gain the attention of the Reaper trapped in his mind as he thought, 'Hey you lazy bastard now would be a good time to help me out, give me a bit more of your power so I can destroy these damned things, or would you prefer to die along with me?" Not waiting for an answer he began to look around for anything he could use as a weapon.

See if the Reaper trapped in my mind is willing to grant me a bit more of its power even if it costs me some of my control over him, and then search for anything to use as a weapon (Pipe, knife, etc.) and imbue it with the life force.

You've used to talking to the thing in your head, if not aloud. [1+1=2] But you are most certainly not used to it answering. It's not speech in any sense of the world, but for a passing second you know it is aware of you and awake, like you'd just given it full control. Unreadable, vast thoughts and emotions assault you, but you can make little sense of them. Then, just as soon as it began, it's over, and the Reaper recedes. You take a wavering step back, forgetting you were looking for a weapon, and try to shake the feeling it's still there, watching. You have to waste time testing your mental barriers to make sure your level of control has not changed.

[6] Gathering your wits, you wrest a piece of bent metal out of the terminal's foundation, crushing a part together to act as a grip. Then you draw in and [4] imbue your makeshift spear with your remaining Life Force, enough to overload and hopefully kill anyone it touches.

[3] You look up at the approaching creatures, considering how to use the half a minute you have before they reach you, when you feel a hand on your shoulder. You turn to see a young woman with blood running down her forehead, her eyes darting wildly. Before you can say anything, she collapses against your back, sobbing - and then, starts giggling, a wavering hand raising to point at the colossal Deep One at the end of the half-collapsed runway. She begins babbling, in no language you've ever heard.

Looking back into the shadowed terminal, you see others staring or staggering your way too, no sign of sanity left in their eyes. You can see one biting his teeth into a corpse drifting in the shallow water. This can't be natural - everyone cracking at the same time? Screams from further into the building indicate that not all seem to have succumbed.

You consider the pros and cons of staying to protect these mindless husks. They're still people, but they seem to be flocking towards the swarm, and lack any sort of self-preservation instinct. You can't drag them away from here, either - there's way too many of them. It might be best to focus on those you can still save.

Combatants
Spoiler: Hostiles (click to show/hide)
---

Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)

Aaron Gray
"I... I dunno." Aaron frowned slightly, his voice calm as he responded to the girl, Alex Bray. His voice was low, not exceptionally deep, but still deeper than mid-tone. He nearly instinctively brushed his fringe to the side, his eyes surveying the girl. "I was told to go to the briefing room... told to bring others." He blinked, as he said that, remembering that he was meant to bring others. "Speaking of... Mind grabbing anyone else for me?" His voice stays calm, nearly as if ignoring the panic that the girl spoke of. He didn't notice any panic... or maybe he was just too busy thinking about the dreams... the dreams... "Freedom comes..." His voice was a soft murmur, almost as if he didn't even realise he was saying it while he thought it. He paused, looking back and forth for a moment at the hallway he was standing in. "Wait, panic? What panic?" Gray's voice snaps into a stark contrast of his earlier voice, growing prominent and sharper. "Explain, Alex!" His mind snapped away from the dreams, the dark angel and the phrase that he could nearly not ignore, and for a moment, he lost control of his aura, before he quickly stifled it again.

Fully snap consciousness away from the dreams, for now, find out what's going on from Alex.

[4] Your confused stream only slightly slows down Alex, shrugging off even your momentarily loss of control on your aura. Living here as part of the project long enough, you get used to the general instability of its subjects.

'What, I don't know,' Alex says. 'I just mean, everybody seems really tense and distracted. Doctor Fisher pretty much walked straight into me. They're telling everyone to head upstairs.'

You nod slowly, focusing at last.

'Anywaaaay...' she continues, motioning towards the top of the stairs. 'We should probably go, right?'

You agree and follow her up the stairs, where you're joined by another pair of subjects, who Bray falls into animated conversation with. You try to maintain interest as the four of you make your way to the briefing room, but it concerns what's going on very little. You're grateful when you settle into an already-crowded room.

You see about two dozen subjects, about half of all in the project. A few overseers and staff mill about, conversing in low tones by the presentation wall. Not that it stops you, or you suspect, anyone else, from picking up what they're saying. You can tell several are trying to look like they're not listening in.

'...best not cause too much panic. Try to downplay the facts we know - I've marked a few photos that might look a bit too shocking...'

You resist the impulse to look into their minds for more information, confident that they'll tell you soon enough. A few minutes later, Doctor Fisher shepherds in a dozen others, including Thomas, in. He settles down next to you.

'Hey,' he says. 'What's going on?'

You shrug, electing him to listen in on his own - he's apparently got a 'Star God' trapped inside his head as part of an earlier project, and lacks your mental powers. His senses are even sharper than yours, though.

Right then Fisher walks up to the others and tells them to start with the majority present. A flickering image takes up the presentation wall, showing something it takes you a moment to realize is a vast spider-like shape rising from a city harbor, its massive central bulk suspended narrowly over the rooftops. Smaller shapes fill the air around it, some heading for the source of the photo. They look like confused masses of bone and sinuous fles.

The staff remain silent as the presentation rotates through two other images, seeming to be taken in different parts of the world, before settling into a poor-quality stream of the city in the first. A panicked voiceover in some foreign language fills the room.

'I am sorry to say we are at war,' Fisher's voice breaks through. 'This is not what you have been trained for, but we have prepared for this possibility. Rest assured we can and will fight back and defend our world.'

He pauses, flinching as a series of explosions races up the body of the creature in the background without any visible effect. 'Err... don't be afraid. These... attacks are far away. You can be sure that in this facility you will absolutely,' he says, a moment before the lights and video feed die and plunge the room into absolute darkness.

'safe...?'

Unsurprisingly, panic erupts.

Spoiler: Talarion (click to show/hide)

---

Ah, sorry for the wait. But here it is.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:08:38 pm by Digital Hellhound »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Their Coming Is At Hand - an Eldritch Horror RTD (Turn 8! Spots open!)
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2012, 12:34:42 pm »

Alexei sighed and examined the man. Along the training given to him that helped the superhuman be a more reliable tool than those humans with monsters from the deepest pits of insanity inside them, there was the body language analysis. If the other man was from an older lineage, his traits were probably less enhanced, and his antics and smallest of motions could reveal the supersoldier anything he needed to know as long as he knew where to search.

He still remembered how some of the higher-ups whined about how they could not control the people with monsters inside them properly, and how one of their dreams was having a supersoldier like him with hybrid DNA or with one of these creatures trapped inside them. The people from outside the Society and even some from within thought it would be solution to their problems: a disciplined, steely human mind in control of a dark beast, and the short lifespan of the genetically engineered soldiers granted the military a good leash on them. Alexei was the finest of the soldiers of the new generation, but even then...He would die in a few years, and even before then he could be executed for bad performances during missions or simply discarded if they finally created a supersoldier with Hybrid DNA.

"Well...the Doctor is inside."

Examine the man's behavior and body language.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2012, 09:50:11 pm »

Turiel angled the throttle to adjust the fighter to the landing area. "Yes, Command. Is there a reason you did not tell me earlier about all these - the pictures and such. They are very familiar, I have to restate. Is there also a reason on why Moscow did not want others to engage on this, even if this threat was to the general populace?

Next is, why scramble only three fighters to assess this threat? Would the public know about this presence? It had destroyed forests and plains, valleys and villages. Surely even a cover-story won't work here.

In short. What just happened?"

Ask Command.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2012, 10:55:09 pm »

Gray's eyes narrowed. "Fisher is lying. Maybe to protect us, I don't know, but he's lying." He began pushing his way through the crowd after saying that to Thomas, making his way towards Fisher. When he reached Fisher, he reached out, mentally. "Tell me, Fisher. Don't dumb down the facts, don't you dare lie, just tell me... what is happening!?" As he said this, his eyes narrowed in anger, his aura began to flare, as he lost control over it. It projected his anger. "We won't be safe, will we Fisher?" He began trying to either pull the information he needed from Fisher's mind, or coerce it out of him. "I want to know all of the information you have on these happenings. Oh, get someone on the backup power would you?" His voice stayed cold, icily so, his rage like the depths of the ocean.

Find out what's happening, using my aura of terror, and my mental abilities if need be. Then reign in my anger and aura.

What more do you need?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16