Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 188057 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.
« Reply #675 on: September 05, 2012, 05:39:46 pm »

And here I am with my old worn mouse with no fancy buttons to speak of, heck with a middle mouse button that stopped working propperly a long time ago.
Enjoying competitive games, considering myself a decent gamer of sorts.
And then you guys come along with your fancy transformer mice putting a dent in my confidence. Thanks guys, I don't think I can compete here.  :(

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 05, 2012, 05:47:36 pm »

A lot of the stuff Cyborg makes has that sort of customization, I just went with Logitech because they haven't even made a mouse or keyboard I wasn't satisfied with. They make a similar mouse the the one I use with a bunch of thumb buttons, but I don't know if I'd be able to get used to having all those buttons on my thumb. I've never tried, and I've never had much use for more than 2 thumb buttons for most games I play (one for the use key and one for push to talk, never played an MMO till now.)

Also, the surface your mouse uses is important too, I've found that hard surfaces that let your mouse glide across are great and I don't know if I could go back to using a conventional cloth one. Just be warned that on the more textured ones people have said they eat the feet of your mice, but time will tell if this one does (it's the Rocketfish one you can find at Best Buy, I use the speed surface because it is smoother). Unless you use a trackball, then it's not much of a deal. You can also use the smooth surface of your desk, which is what I used to do until the surface chipped away for some reason.

As for that thing on your left hand, it looks nifty but I don't have any room to put something like that... unless I had it up on my desk or something, but that might get uncomfortable. Also, what the hell is with the movement keys? Can't they just be... you know, keys instead of... what the hell?

If you're capable of playing without all the fancy tools that's fine, we just like having things that make it a little bit easier =p

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 05, 2012, 07:02:49 pm »

Heartseeker is nice until you get a Shortbow, then spam 5 for a much more controllable (and better) movement skill. It's great that it occasionally gets you up unclimbable hills in WvW, allowing you to easily leave pursuers behind.
Hmm... I had previously felt that infiltrator's arrow was not as good for movement after the effects of Signet of Shadows (which also increases leap length as well as run speed), but your comment compelled me to do a bit of SCIENCE.
My results from testing (traveling several times between two points along a path with each method of movement used as much as possible while running with Signet of Shadows equipped, and timing with a stopwatch) are that both methods took roughly the same time (21 seconds plus or minus a fraction) to travel the same distance.

I don't know about the getting up hills bit though; in my experience infiltrator's arrow will not get you to places you cannot walk to.
Soaplent green is goblins!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 05, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »

I started my second character, a Norn Necromancer.

I've decided all five of my characters will be as follows:
1) Norn Necromancer
2) Char Ranger
3) Sylvari Thief
4) Sylvari Guardian
5) Sylvari Elementalist

I really like the Sylvari. Humans are boring, Asura are really ugly and all around annoying. So I'm replacing them with more Sylvari.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 05, 2012, 11:40:38 pm »

I still only have my Charr Warrior, and I'll probably wait til 80 to make another.  My second class choice will probably be a ranger, whenever wandering around on my warror I keep seeing all these juvenile critters and wondering how they could possibly make a battle animal.  (Seriously? I can have a pig for a hunter pet? I have no idea why that seems so awesome.) 

Playing around with ranger pets sounds fun.  As for race, it will probably be human or another charr.  Asura annoy me, something seems off to me about Silvari, and Norn just seem to be bigger humans.  I like the charr culture, and humans manage to be interesting while not being way out in left field like the Asura.

What we need next are playable Skritt.  I love those little buggers.  Bonus points if their stats go down when soloing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 05, 2012, 11:54:36 pm »

Yeah, some of the neutral-only races are actually pretty cool. I'd pay good money to play as a Quaggan.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 06, 2012, 01:36:32 am »

I'm very fond of the Asura for just two reasons:
 - I love outrageously arrogant video game groups.
 - They remind me a whole lot of the Banana Norns from the old Creatures game, and I adored that game.

But mostly I have wanted to make Charr.  I would definitely love to play some of the NPC races.  Tengu especially--birdthings!  Also Krait, but it would have to be some sort of special renegade Krait thing since they're not uh.  Neutral.  As much.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:39:55 am by Wirevix »
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 06, 2012, 01:39:19 am »

If moving your character with the mouse get's your hand out of position then your DPI isn't high enough. I think my mouse stays within a 3x3 space. Also, a properly ergonomic mouse will give you a natural and repetitive position. I use which looks strange but is customizable in every dimension from palm height to thumb-pinky span.

so what the name of that...beast anyways I might need to get one I wounder if it would work with DOTA?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 06, 2012, 02:01:44 am »

That one's the Rat 7, cyborg makes a bunch of mice like it and they're in the RAT series. I don't understand why it wouldn't work with DOTA, what would make it incompatible?

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

Just be aware Cyborg is owned by Mad Catz, your mileage may vary.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 06, 2012, 02:07:43 am »

That one's the Rat 7, cyborg makes a bunch of mice like it and they're in the RAT series. I don't understand why it wouldn't work with DOTA, what would make it incompatible?

http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat7.htm

Just be aware Cyborg is owned by Mad Catz, your mileage may vary.
Not incompatible just not help hmmm also at 100 dollar price tag i'll just stick with my 10 dollar mouse though I like all the buttons.

Also is this MMO worth it I don't really like MMO mostly do to playing in party's I end up having to solo everything and then get bored do to lack of non party content like with FF11, WoW, Eden Eternal, etc..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 02:10:56 am by Alkhemia »

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 06, 2012, 02:34:02 am »

Party content appears all over the place in the form of events, which occur randomly throughout zones and 90% of the time will require at least one other person to complete. You don't even have to be in a party to participate, and can chip in a bit then go off and do whatever else later.

There are a small number of instances as well, with level requirements starting at 30. Haven't tried any yet, so can't say much on them.

If neither of those tickle your fancy, then try World vs World, which is a massive collection of around a hundred players in a sort of MOBA format, taking objectives (keeps, towers, supply camps, and even a castle on one area) with siege weaponry like trebuchets or catapults, and showering invaders with arrows or pots of boiling oil.

Besides, it's free to play so if you don't like it now you can pick it up later if you get some friends to play it. I started out mostly solo and now have around ten friends in my guild, so the popularity of the game is spreading a bit.

It is still an MMO, so it's one of those games that if you don't like it, it can't be helped. Me? After playing WoW for about a year (mostly due to my friends keeping in the game), and various other MMOs for very short amounts of time, like the cut of this one's jib. Polished as all hell with constant (almost daily) updates, manages to make all the classes feel very different with different builds between them, a nice crafting system and it doesn't have the exponential time investment to level. Hell, the game released, what, a week ago? And I've already got an 80, but I'm slightly obsessed at the moment.

Also, there's a B12 guild named Kittens, Socks and Magma. Nuff said.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 06, 2012, 02:37:55 am »

Party content appears all over the place in the form of events, which occur randomly throughout zones and 90% of the time will require at least one other person to complete. You don't even have to be in a party to participate, and can chip in a bit then go off and do whatever else later.

There are a small number of instances as well, with level requirements starting at 30. Haven't tried any yet, so can't say much on them.

If neither of those tickle your fancy, then try World vs World, which is a massive collection of around a hundred players in a sort of MOBA format, taking objectives (keeps, towers, supply camps, and even a castle on one area) with siege weaponry like trebuchets or catapults, and showering invaders with arrows or pots of boiling oil.

Besides, it's free to play so if you don't like it now you can pick it up later if you get some friends to play it. I started out mostly solo and now have around ten friends in my guild, so the popularity of the game is spreading a bit.

It is still an MMO, so it's one of those games that if you don't like it, it can't be helped. Me? After playing WoW for about a year (mostly due to my friends keeping in the game), and various other MMOs for very short amounts of time, like the cut of this one's jib. Polished as all hell with constant (almost daily) updates, manages to make all the classes feel very different with different builds between them, a nice crafting system and it doesn't have the exponential time investment to level. Hell, the game released, what, a week ago? And I've already got an 80, but I'm slightly obsessed at the moment.

Also, there's a B12 guild named Kittens, Socks and Magma. Nuff said.

Wait it F2P I though you had to buy the disk? hmm I'll try this to after I move.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 06, 2012, 02:42:06 am »

If moving your character with the mouse get's your hand out of position then your DPI isn't high enough.

It's more that I'm a clawer with a light grip. I can cover the monitor with a 3" x 2" space, but any rapid motions cause my fingers not involved in propulsion to briefly come off the mouse.

Also is this MMO worth it I don't really like MMO mostly do to playing in party's I end up having to solo everything and then get bored do to lack of non party content like with FF11, WoW, Eden Eternal, etc..

GW2 doesn't even begin to compare to other MMOs in terms of the solo/party dynamics. Almost all of the open world content is soloable, but the no-penalties public questing system makes it enjoyable to play along side others even when you aren't formally working together. You'd have to form a party to do dungeons, but those are a small part of the overall content, and the only thing you'd get from them is cosmetic gear skins, progress achievements, and a title. There are also some dynamic quest chains that spawn non-soloable boss mobs, but the public notification will attract other players in the area. Plus, its a big world with a wide variety of things to do, and there are no subscription fees, so its easy to get more game time per dollar than with other MMOs. You do have to pay a 60 USD entry fee, however.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 06, 2012, 02:57:51 am »

My character is a charr engineer. I still liked more my warrior in BWE 2, but still some of it's abilities are gold. Like the fact that the flamethrower goes through WvW gates. Or mortars on top of the castles. Those things are gold.
Also, the dungeons. I freakin' love the difficulty of them. So satisfying to complete (Though I just have no way of completing Twilight arbor last boss. That gal is REALLY hard to beat.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 06, 2012, 04:25:00 am »

Wait it F2P I though you had to buy the disk? hmm I'll try this to after I move.
F2P meaning no subscription. Sorry, should've clarified.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 86