Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 86

Author Topic: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.  (Read 188039 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Reddit, the MMORPG
« Reply #660 on: September 04, 2012, 06:05:07 pm »

Hitboxes are the same for all races, although in pvp a lot of min/maxers are playing mindtricks on people by always rolling asura (including me), so they appear tiny and harder to click.

I tested a bit during the last BWE, the difference between a minimal size asura and a max size norn/charr is unbelievable, even as the same class.

My asura chars (ele, engineer) rarely got attacked unless they were alone or someone got knocked into me or something. If I was in a crowd, I was pretty much ignored and allowed to attack freely.

My charr (necro) and norn (ele) dropped pretty much instantly because everyone focused on them, I spent more time running away while multiple people chased me then actually fighting.

The difference between my points on the asura vs the norn elementalist was surprising - asura was usually near the mid-top, norn was usually dead last or nearly so, just from being dead or being chased by zergs constantly.

People say it does not matter, and I guess that's true mechanically, but it actually does matter in practice. Making a norn/charr with the intent of primarily PvP'ing is putting yourself at a large disadvantage for no good reason (though I guess in a well organized guild you might be able to use it to your advantage).

(this was all sPvP by the way, didn't try WvW)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2: Bookah Wars, you silly bookahs.
« Reply #661 on: September 04, 2012, 07:31:48 pm »

I think the difference is visual, which is important in PvP and WvW. Sure it's just as hard to click an Asuran than it is to click a Norn, but one is a lot more visible. It's easier to hide if not everyone can see your character moving all the time.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: September 04, 2012, 08:35:16 pm »

Yea a big old max size charr like my main is almost constantly getting hit by something in big melees.  Like the fool said, we just stand out more.  On a wall a tall charr can still be visible and get that entire wall section attracting AoE like a horde of beth spiderlings.  While a tiny little Asura or even a human can easily be out of sight.

EDIT: ooh, my mouse has buttons to adjust the DPI but it looks like the software will allow me to set them to do other more useful things... hooray mouse buttons galore =p

Logitek G5 mouse perchance?

I'm using mostly my mouse for my weapon skills.  Middle click is my Slot 5 (usually an opener that doesn't get used much mid fight) sensitivity up and down are 3 and 4, and for 1 and 2 I just use 1 and 2 above wasd.

I never understood how folks could become ...not-clickers.  Even hitting the 3 key above WASD feels wrong... 2 years of WoW and I was always a clicker.  My guild lead always told me he could hear me clicking the mouse over vent.  I don't see how people manage to keep their left hand on their keyboard for WASD right hand on the mouse for camera movement and awareness, and still hit 1 through '=' on the keyboard effortlessly.   Do real MMO players have a third hand or something?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: September 04, 2012, 09:21:44 pm »

Yeah, I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to see Kael Bookahbasher (asuran guardian meditative duelist) or Bookah Lover(asuran venom shortbow thief) at the top of the scoreboard.

When i have time later, I will post some pvp builds/theorycrafting.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: September 04, 2012, 09:51:11 pm »

Yeah, G500, I like it better than the other one I had even though it's almost the same exact shape. I'm not a big fan of the beveled side buttons and stuff, they're harder on the fingers compared to the smooth ones the other one had.

Also, I'm a level 175+ leatherworker now, probably going to be my main crafting thingy, so if you need adventurer armor or bags and such I can make them for you.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: September 04, 2012, 11:29:35 pm »

Does anyone else use the thief's Heartseeker as a movement skill while traveling around? (Especially with Signet of Shadows, which makes you leap farther as well as running faster.)
Heartseeker is nice until you get a Shortbow, then spam 5 for a much more controllable (and better) movement skill. It's great that it occasionally gets you up unclimbable hills in WvW, allowing you to easily leave pursuers behind.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: September 05, 2012, 03:42:20 am »

My gameplay setup gear:

Left Hand

Right Hand

Keyboard

I like lots of buttons.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: September 05, 2012, 04:07:36 am »

My gameplay setup gear:

Left Hand
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like lots of buttons.
Apparently, you have three hands.

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: September 05, 2012, 04:50:51 am »

How well does a mouse like that work in practice with a game like GW2? With all the turning and moving around one needs to do, it seems like it'd be easy to get one's thumb out of position and click the wrong button as a result.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: September 05, 2012, 05:17:42 am »

If moving your character with the mouse get's your hand out of position then your DPI isn't high enough. I think my mouse stays within a 3x3 space. Also, a properly ergonomic mouse will give you a natural and repetitive position. I use which looks strange but is customizable in every dimension from palm height to thumb-pinky span.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 05, 2012, 05:34:38 am »

If moving your character with the mouse get's your hand out of position then your DPI isn't high enough. I think my mouse stays within a 3x3 space. Also, a properly ergonomic mouse will give you a natural and repetitive position. I use
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
which looks strange but is customizable in every dimension from palm height to thumb-pinky span.
That thing looks like a transformer.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: September 05, 2012, 05:41:18 am »

It is actually. It has so many damn adjustable parts and comes with a tool. It was annoying to set up, but now my hand hurts if I try to use a conventional mouse for more than a few minutes.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:36 am »

Warning: apparently the Trading Post is broken today. People's items and gold are disappearing before they get to claim them.

Also, hey, Jimmy and me have the same mouse. I'm considering getting a little numpad thing for my left hand since I think that'd be easier for skills than my keyboard.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: September 05, 2012, 11:18:01 am »

even though they have gone out of flavor, try looking for a track ball mouse, the ones that have a mouse ball ontop of the mouse, takes about a day or two of playing to get used to it and the benefit is the mouse itself is that you dont need to worry about when you need to spin quickly you dont have to pick up the mouse off of the surface

on a side note, that trading post bug also was effecting the mystic forge...i put 4 green level 80 crafted accessories to try to get a gold one...nothing came out of it dispite saying match found
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:43:21 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 05, 2012, 01:16:06 pm »

How well does a mouse like that work in practice with a game like GW2? With all the turning and moving around one needs to do, it seems like it'd be easy to get one's thumb out of position and click the wrong button as a result.
I have the same mouse and have been using it for well over a year now; it definitely takes some getting used to, but once you do there is no better MMO/massive number of button mouse that does better. It has feedback on the 4-6 and 10-12 buttons to let you know where your thumb it.

It did take me a while to get used to, though. Worth it in the long run.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 86