Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is the biggest "win" you have ever experienced in dwarf fortress?  (Read 10442 times)

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: What is the biggest "win" you have ever experienced in dwarf fortress?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 04:52:00 pm »

A dwarven child was caught by a Cyclops. This was after I made semimegabeasts more powerful in hand-to-hand combat. I expected it's quick death.

A few moments later, I find out that the child pinched it in the eye. Naturaly, it gave in to pain, and the little bugger was basicly slaming itself into it, and the poor thing actualy died because the little guy kept it in one place while it bled from wounds inflictedto it by one of the trained bears around the fort. The kid than diserved the nickname "Finn" right then and there.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 07:42:08 pm »

Using my horde of attack kittens to take out a forgotten beast, then having zero casualties.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 08:36:33 pm »

Speardwarf fights a forgotten beast to a standstill on a bridge over a pit of magma. The FB finally wounds him fatally.

Realizing that he has no hope of winning, the speardwarf goes off the side with the monster.

Damned hero. *sniff*
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:23 pm »

Speardwarf fights a forgotten beast to a standstill on a bridge over a pit of magma. The FB finally wounds him fatally.

Realizing that he has no hope of winning, the speardwarf goes off the side with the monster.

Damned hero. *sniff*

Dear overseer,

Im glad your happy, BUT STOP CRYING LIKE A ARMOK-DAMNED ELF!

Love, Speardwarf
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 08:48:40 pm »

Damned hero. *sniff*

Dear overseer,

Im glad your happy, BUT STOP CRYING LIKE A ARMOK-DAMNED ELF!

Love, Speardwarf

I'll inscribe that into your memorial chamber as soon as we get the rhesuses cleared out.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 10:29:39 pm »

Don't look down, guys, that's how gravity gets you.

I have no idea what that is; I don't use graphics packs.  Is it deer about to fall into a volcano?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 10:33:57 pm »

I have no idea what that is; I don't use graphics packs.  Is it deer about to fall into a volcano?

Two meeces, complete with their human riders, and a human spearman all about to fall into a volcano, yes. Taken completely by accident at the precious moment just before cartoon gravity kicks in.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 10:38:44 pm »

I was trying to turn a riverbed into obsidian to make room for a surface construction project and screwed it up - right when the largest goblin siege I'd ever experienced arrived.  It took freaking forever for all the excess magma to evaporate, but I'll still remember accidentally boatmurdering that siege.

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 12:26:28 am »

That moment you first find adamantine. Definitely. Oh, on an unrelated note, the worst moment for me came five seconds afterwards.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 02:51:16 pm »

I had a costly victory against a "deadly blood" FB right near my cavern entrance. A web-shooting FB comes up to play and kills several dwarves, including one who gets webbed on top of my masterwork serrated disk trap..

Then I see an alert that the FB has collapsed in pain - I guess walking through pools of blood that make your lungs rot out and bleed from the inside was too much for it. I'm enjoying my Forgotten Beast Soap bridges now.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 04:30:08 pm »

My most unique happy time was the 40d fortress where I finally had two marksdwarves become elite from properly guarding my fortress's naturally formed courtyard against goblins and orcs (modded in).  My happy horde of semi-naked Dwarves spent their idle times in outdoor roofed-in statue gardens flanking the courtyard.  Their only clothing was silk socks and leather shoes, although admittedly they usually wore both socks on one foot.  The forges were fully a part of the rest of the fortress, because the fortress was next to a volcano.  Unlike our present volcanos, volcanos in 40d had irregularities in their tubes, allowing taps to be taken off at levels other than at the top.  There was a drainable water-filled moat fed by a stream which passed before the courtyard, and a roofed, enclosed fishing area over the stream accessible from underground.  The residences were arranged as a tower carved from the spire whose lower face curved around to form the courtyard.  It was a fortress that pleased me immensely overall, but the elite marksdwarves were the most unique feature of it for me.  I seldom used a military defense in 40d, and never do so now that archers have gone through so many uncertain changes.

Good news, Slink! Markdwarves had improved considerably since DF 2010. (Trust me, I know - I started with 2010, and they were a FREAKING PAIN to deal with. Where should I start? How you had to make sure that you specified material for crossbows before they trained at the ranges? Where the material selection for their bolts didn't matter? Where they often failed to pick up bolts, and just ended up charging the enemy?)

The changes in 2012 (up to now, anyways), that I've oberved:

• They're much smarter about using training bolts and combat bolts. Downside is that, when you issue an order for stationing or a kill order, they sometimes take a while swapping out their ammo, but that's life.
    • They train up quite easily now - nowhere near the headache with archery ranges from before. Though that's still not the optimal way to do it - I've done tests with marksdwarf training, comparing experience gain per bolt fired. Results showed that they gain experience at least five times faster shooting at live targets than at constructed ones, as well as a correspondingly different rate in physical and soul stat gain. The best way to get them to train, is to make a room with a one-wide corridor your trainees can move through, a fortification forming one wall of the hallway, and a large, open area beyond the fortification, above which is a mass-pitting area for your target voulenteers. Just make sure that you keep anyone inside from getting close to the fortification, or make sure to take away their bows. Not their armor though! You want them to live for a little while. Then build a bridge that spans the whole target room so that you can atom smash everything left behind (after picking through it for meltable shmutz), send in your targets, and tell your trainees to patrol back and forth in that one-wide hallway.
    • Which brings me to the last bit - marksdwarves will run from combat and reload if they run out of ammo, and will even do so on occasion when there's a valid path from them to whatever they're shooting at; they seem to do this more often when they're attacking with a station command, not a kill command. They won't sit on their ass, or go charging out suicidally. All the time, anyways.
    • Oh - and it seems every .34 fort that I've made ends up getting a grand/talented/etc archer in their 4-6th wave, usually with Hunter or Ranger as their job title. It takes little work to polish these gems into elite marksdwarves.

Anyways, my two most favorite moments are kind of tied... the first is simple: the first fort that I successfully made a magma pump stack in. The second is a little more complex, and takes a little bit of explaining...

So I got a siege in my tenth year that was increadibly potent. 10 squads of baddies, including four troll squads, goblin axemen, rutherers, gobo master archers... and the leader of their civilization, a great, demon lord made of living obsidian that breathed fire (I think in the form of some kind of insect), whose first name was "Master." Naturally enough, I panicked - but I didn't panic too much, since I had a specially made cave-in trap for this kind of thing. I double checked everything, got my crossbowmen into position... then I noticed something really, really bad...

I had forgotten to deconstruct the up-stair next to the support.

I didn't have time to tear it down, so I instead hastily channeled out a moat before my doors and locked myself in. Meanwhile, they happily milled outside the front gates as the trolls were tearing it down.

Around this time, one of my masons became possessed, and ran gibbering off in the direction of my workshop floor. I put it out of my mind and started working on plan B.

Plan B was multi-part. My fort design had a central hallway with sealable entry-ways branching off of it. Each had two sets of doors, in between which was a lever-controlled bridge that spanned a channeled out 8-z drop. I sealed every one of these, then started mining out a new 'room,' consiting of a 20x30x2 block of solid rock, suspended on little more than four little support pillars. I carved out an entry way into the room, carved a long hallway at the other end that let out into my fort, and sent my 'butler' to let in my 'guests.'

My 'guests' were very anxious to be entertained; the demon and his giant 60+ entourage steamed into my hallway, 'thanked' my 'butler' at length, then began a leisurly walk into my base, through my new 'room.' In the meantime, my dwarves were clustered around a single lever (using burrows and alarms), though my one possessed mason remained back in the workshops. (More about him in a moment). I waited until the Master and the bulk of his army was under the 'roof' of my brand new 'room,' then dropped the giant slab of granite on top of them.

It had the usual results.

As my military was mopping up the stragglers left behind, I was pleased to see that my mason had completed his project without going insane! Eager to see my new treasure, I punched up its description; below is to the best of my memory, the description of the artifact.

This is an obsidian armor stand. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. The armor stand is adorned with hanging strips of red pig-tail fiber. The armor stand menaces with spikes of red spinel. On the armor stand is an image of Litast (something something), god of Storms and Smiting, represented by a male dwarf, and dwarves in obsidian. Litast is surrounded by the dwarves. The dwarves are kneeling. Litast is smiling. On the armor stand is an image of the Master and dwarves in obsidian. The Master is in the fetal position. The dwarves are laughing. This image relates to the slaying of the Master in 285.

I spent the next five years creating a giant cathedral to Litast, who had obviously sent me a vision of his power and favor, out of red-gem windows and obsidian blocks.[/list]
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 04:34:43 pm by Gigmaster »

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
    • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 06:35:35 pm »

I was attacked by a warlord in adventure mode, he died of old age after taking a single step towards me.

and as for fortress mode... I guess it would have to be when necromancers first came out. my second necro siege came to one of my forts, I believe their were 2 necromancers in it, and around 200 undead. prolly a bit less. I locked everything up and watched as the zombies exploited my forts only weakness. the frozen river. they crossed over and loitered in my courtyard until the river thawed, getting tired of watching the things dragging their guts around (if anyone hadn't noticed, some zombies DO actually drag their guts behind them) and killing the wildlife, I sent the militia up to deal with those not killed by traps or captured. a single spear dwarf made it outside without his spear. what followed was the greatest example of "dwarf-fu" ive ever seen. corpses everywhere, he even managed to track down one of the necromancers and beat his face into the back of his skull. the other one drowned when the river thawed. zombies can be pretty easy to kill sometimes...
    All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • [IS_BUN:#1]
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 09:01:05 pm »

Accidentally flooding a rock-craft stockpile. A dwarf's coffin was there too.
    Then a cave crocodile moved in, and killed a fisherdwarf who got too close.

It all felt like I was moving into davey jones locker.

I had walled it all off, but I wanted to recover those masterwork items to trade.
    Stationed the militia next to the area, but the cave croc didn't come out.
    Sent another fisher out, that lured the croc, and militia killed it.
    Then I learned how to use windmills from that, and used the ocean as an infinite-water-sink with 3 pumps to drain water and build a floodgate next to the ocean.
    Once the ocean had separated, I just drained the stockpile and unearthed the sunken treasure and dead dwarf's coffin.

Twas sweet.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 09:05:23 pm »

My first forgotten beast kill. Alpha my militia commander just hacked it to pieces. It was quite a tough beast as well.
    Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 10:22:14 pm »

True story.

My first semi-megabeast. Baisicaly my 2-squad militry of marksdwarves was assembled in a line on an open field, with the Ettin on the other side... cept one guy named "Minkot Ros", who insisted on staying several steps behind everyone else. The Ettin saw the Militry captain and charges, absorbing at least 11 bolts to his upper body and arms, and crashing into my line of Marksdwarves, Killing all 20, cept old Minkot, who was had retreated to a hill to the left of the fields, out of the Ettins site. The Ettin was just sitting there mingling wth the corpses, and desides its time to leave. He turns around and starts walking away, and as he gets halfway across the map, Minkot finally desides its time to get in formation. He stands on the former defensive line, full of blood and corpses, and stays there, for at least 10 seconds, and then shoots the Ettin in the neck from across the map. The Ettin dies quickly. I then gave him the nickname "Bard". Tell me if you get the reference.

DUH EIND
    WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.
    Pages: 1 [2]