Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is the biggest "win" you have ever experienced in dwarf fortress?  (Read 10447 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Was it that time a lone infant downed a elephant? Or that time a lone hunter went Martial and downed a entire squad of goblins? Tell your greatest wins here, lets see if we cant make them seem better then they are.

And for bragging rights.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

Axedwarf. Kills minotaur. no injuries. Goes after goblins. Martial Trance. None survive.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile

Perhaps not the rarest of events in dwarf fortress... but capturing a precious moment in time on camera completely by accident is worthwhile to me.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't look down, guys, that's how gravity gets you.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

The biggest win for me was watching a lone militia dwarf go out time and time again in just bone armor, wielding a spear, sword, axe AND shield, and utterly destroy entire seiges of goblins and trolls.  Not even a team of 20-odd marksdwarves managed to slow her down.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile

*grumbles, clears his throat and dusts off his foggy memory*

War stories is it?  Hmmm....   Well there was this one... this old dwarf....  Oh, what was 'is name?  Cog something.  Metalbolt?  Cog Metalbolt?  Sounds right.  So Tombriders 'ere, Tombriders was under siege.  Back in the dark days of the 40d.  Goblins.  Lots of em.  So Cog and 'is squad rushed out to meet them, like the dwarfs they were.  But some dolt trapped the militia _inside_ the mountain.  Everybody except ole Cog.

It wasn't really a fair fight, and Cog he slew the lot of 'em.  Six squads at least.  Mebee seven.  Chased 'em half round the mountain.  Last was this squad of crossbows.  Chickens, really.  One look at Cog and they went runnin' fast for the border.  Cog runs 'em down one by one.  Hack here, hack there.  Leg here, head there.  So 'e gets to the last, knocks the green bastard off 'is feet.... and takes a bolt to 'is heart.  Point blank.  (Fitting, really.  Metalbolt.)

But ole Cog was one tough dwarf.  Shook it off, stepped back a second.  Then 'e took that gobbo's head off with one last hack.

As the rest o' the squad crawled out of their hidin holes, all they saw was death.  Great green death.  A swamp of green blood.  And here was Cog, staggering slowly off to the border.  Pausing e'ry few steps to regain his wits.  But that bolt was truer than true.  'is heart beat its last just as the squad reached 'im. And so ended the days of Cog Metalbolt.

Win?  Win, you say?  Ha!  He who dies with the most scars wins!  Ha ha!

*mutters something about these damned kids as he returns to his ale*
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:58:11 pm by Cydonian Monk »

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile

I'd say mine was...
when a group of Civilians got locked outside the fortress when a Titan made from rock showed up and Instead of being Slaughtered
they all opened fire with crossbows and downed the beast without taking a single casualty.
(I'd enabled hunting on everyone and had a good supply of crossbows and bolts.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

That awesome fuzzy feeling when you mobilize the entire fortress to fight off a siege in order to save one Dwarf trapped in a cage:3

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

I think my biggest "win" feeling was the first time I took down a dragon in fortress mode... Which I'd previously (somehow) thought to be impossible. (I hadn't read the wiki or seen the forums - I was only a couple months in.) The dragon showed up amidst an elven siege, roasted absolutely everything in sight, slaughtered my entire army, except for the captain of the guard, who managed to fatally wound it just before burning to death. But the dragon was dead... I'd won! I could rebuild my army! If a dragon couldn't stop me, what was there to fear?? What was there to lose?!? I was invincible, and the world was mine!!!

I lost two months later due to a tantrum spiral from the military dying. You know, dwarves throwing kittens against doors, little bones flying in all directions, dwarves breaking workshops, contents spilling everywhere, all of that. I haven't seen such a hardcore spiral since.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile

surviving my first seige, that, and having a lone farmerdwarf and child fend off a flying forest titan. they pulled both of its wings off before they died and a spear dwarf came and finished the beast off
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile

I oneshotted a roc (or was it a titan cant remember) once when it was luckily shot by a marksdwarf and fell to death. Probably because it lost consciousness or something. Ridiculus flying behavior.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: What is the biggest "win" you have ever experienced in dwarf fortress?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 06:32:46 am »

My most unique happy time was the 40d fortress where I finally had two marksdwarves become elite from properly guarding my fortress's naturally formed courtyard against goblins and orcs (modded in).  My happy horde of semi-naked Dwarves spent their idle times in outdoor roofed-in statue gardens flanking the courtyard.  Their only clothing was silk socks and leather shoes, although admittedly they usually wore both socks on one foot.  The forges were fully a part of the rest of the fortress, because the fortress was next to a volcano.  Unlike our present volcanos, volcanos in 40d had irregularities in their tubes, allowing taps to be taken off at levels other than at the top.  There was a drainable water-filled moat fed by a stream which passed before the courtyard, and a roofed, enclosed fishing area over the stream accessible from underground.  The residences were arranged as a tower carved from the spire whose lower face curved around to form the courtyard.  It was a fortress that pleased me immensely overall, but the elite marksdwarves were the most unique feature of it for me.  I seldom used a military defense in 40d, and never do so now that archers have gone through so many uncertain changes.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 06:33:58 am »

Chief medical dwarf (no skills) gets ambushed by goblins. Their king is there. He kills the king with his bare hands and the others run away.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 06:44:26 am »

Accidentally flooding the and fortress trapping almost everyone in the living quarters.
Staging a rescue operation with the few remaining dwarves and eventually saving a single dwarf. Everyone else either drowned, starved or died of thirst.
That dwarf ended up captain of the guard and killing three forgotten beasts, saving the fortress each time while the whole army perished.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 09:35:34 am »

Back in a 40d community fort, I had my squad pretty much all go take a break when a goblin siege showed up.  My lone axedwarf proceeded to kill the entire siege single handedly.  Her only injury out of the whole thing was a broken leg as I recall.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 03:47:44 pm »

I had a 5 times legendary Captain of the Guard, fully clad in masterwork adam, including adam cloak and hood, and sent him alone, acompanied by his giant war-panda, into a curious underground structure. Walled him in, for the safety of the fortress. Fighting could be heard, and after a while the far away deathroar of the panda, then nothing... he was assumed dead.

Months later a knocking on the wall was heard, the wall raised down and a rather angry Captain of the Guard stood there, unscaved, having killed every single undead in the fortress.

He later went a bit angrier, because of the dead pet, the miasma and being attacked by the dead, and proceeded to "fistfight" 3 people to death with the adam battle axe. He was never arrested, because he is the Captian of the Guard after all.

He later lead 50 dwarves to the victory over the HFS, fair fight, no traps.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: [1] 2