Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550706 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4785 on: June 23, 2021, 04:56:54 pm »

Just scoop out the beans? It'll probably be fine.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: June 23, 2021, 05:05:09 pm »

The sauce has already become one with the 🅱ean
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: June 23, 2021, 05:40:10 pm »

Looking forward to hearing of the results!
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: June 23, 2021, 06:43:15 pm »

I see, with eyes full of horror, not tomatoes coming out of the can, but baked beans in tomato sauce.

Gods have mercy on me. Don't let tomorrow be ruined.

The sauce has already become one with the bean

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: June 23, 2021, 07:31:14 pm »

If it's just turning into pulled pork, dump some bbq sauce (or just syrup, for that matter) in there with the beans and marinate as per usual. Pretty sure that'd turn out okay-ish.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: June 24, 2021, 12:00:04 pm »

Alright, the good news is that it doesn't seem to have affected the flavor much.

There's just the occasional bean texture if you're paying attention.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: June 26, 2021, 07:11:52 pm »

Parents are away so I get to make whatever.

I found some Impossible patties at the supermarket.  I think is was like 5 bucks for two patties, although buns still come in eights :/.  Impossible Whoppers are actually kinda decent, I've actually gone for them often, though it would be funny if homemade ones tasted like BK.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: June 26, 2021, 09:07:34 pm »

In continuing theme of stupid simple: Toast, light swirl of syrup, solid dash of cinnamon (actually in that order; if you put the cinnamon on first the syrup can interact with it messily). Low effort cinnamon toast!

I haven't seen many other people make it, but if you're looking for a cheap/tasty/easy to prepare sweet thing, it's pretty nice.
Ask not!
Ask!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: June 29, 2021, 04:40:15 pm »

Tried making ice cream. It's the second batch I've made in this new(actually probably 30+ years old at least) ice cream maker I bought about a month ago from work. The first batch was simple vanilla and turned out alright.

This one was chocolate and it... didn't turn out so well. I changed the base recipe, using a pint of half-and-half instead of a can of condensed milk. I also neglected to add sugar, thinking it'd be sweet enough. Worst of all, it's frozen solid. I scraped some off the top, and found that I may have used a little too much cocoa powder.

Is there any way I can soften it, or otherwise salvage it? The scrapings I managed to pull off didn't taste too terrible.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: June 29, 2021, 04:47:17 pm »

A casual read from the internet indicates putting it your fridge until it softens, mixing the shit out of it, then refreezing it. If it doesn't soften too far it should refreeze with around the same texture.

As for freezing too much, the internet says higher fat content reduces the freeze (I'm guessing you read that since you tried half and half instead of condensed milk) and adding a little alcohol to it because alcohol doesn't freeze.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: July 01, 2021, 08:00:16 pm »

A casual read from the internet indicates putting it your fridge until it softens, mixing the shit out of it, then refreezing it. If it doesn't soften too far it should refreeze with around the same texture.

As for freezing too much, the internet says higher fat content reduces the freeze (I'm guessing you read that since you tried half and half instead of condensed milk) and adding a little alcohol to it because alcohol doesn't freeze.

Couldn't add alcohol, I'm a teetotaler and don't have any available. Did add a pinch of salt, along with about half a cup of sugar. Froze even harder after re-mixing. Breaking/shaving off a bit, aside from the ice it has a very milky flavor, like chocolate milk with ice added. If it wasn't for the obvious taste of ice, it'd be pretty decent. It probably did soften too far before I mixed it, because I left it in my fridge for about 10 hours. I can't really put it in for less than that because I'm at work for that time.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: July 01, 2021, 09:08:51 pm »

Reduce the temps you're freezing it at? Can always turn down your freezer.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: July 01, 2021, 09:39:47 pm »

Liquid nitrogen is the answer. It makes fabulous icecream, every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI7Lh7ISX6M

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: July 03, 2021, 04:28:12 pm »

So I'm in the process of moving into a new apartment, and while that does mean I'm even more scatterbrained and disorganized than usual, I do now at least have a pressure cooker, so my life is saved.

With good, easy rice at my disposal, I've been revisiting a family classic that just really, really hits the spot sometimes and only requires one of my two remaining brain cells to make.

It's just rice (I've been primarily using a brown basmati, I find brown rice to be a better component for this particular dish than polished, personally), some sort of fish (preferably something smoky like kippered herring, but standard canned tuna can do in a pinch if needs must), and then drizzle some toasted sesame oil and a dash of soy sauce to cut through the fat. And...  That's about it. Feel free to sprinkle some sesame seeds on top, or whatever else seems interesting.

Really though, toasted sesame oil is fucking ambrosia and can probably be put on whatever to make it amazing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: July 06, 2021, 12:39:23 pm »

Frumple has now consumed meat floss!

It's pretty okay!

Gonna' cook things with it next, got like a year to make a bit less than a pound of this stuff get done something with. Looks like it'll be fairly easy to use, though... basically just fluffy pulled pork, and I can work with that.

E: Super basic "is this good in cup cheese noodles" test results: Really, really good in cup cheese noodles, holy shit.

E2: Egg and meat floss (and cheese and bbq sauce) sandwich verdict: Pretty okay!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 09:19:49 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 334