Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550720 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #4770 on: June 16, 2021, 06:34:20 pm »

I haven't tried either of those recipes, but have made a few others of his and generally liked the way they turned out.  Some didn't turn out so great, like the mancakes and Scotch eggs, but those were things I did wrong I'm sure.

Like most people, I think I watch more cooking on TV / YouTube than I actually attempt (though I do cook most days), and I find Chef John's cadence oddly mesmerizing.  Supposedly it's an artifact of the way he edits the videos, based on what he claimed in a Q&A, but he must like the way it comes out because he could fix it otherwise.  Either way, it's fun to slow the videos down on YouTube because then he just sounds like the world's happiest drunken chef.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: June 17, 2021, 10:39:53 am »

Heh, I don't think I've ever tried that.

But yeah. I keep a notepad of Youtube cooking videos of stuff I want to try, and Chef John's recipes are easily half of that list.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: June 19, 2021, 11:03:07 am »

I attempted to make "wrecked potatoes" based on a recipe I saw on imgur. The process was as follows:

Acquire bag of very small potatoes. Fingerlings or so.
Boil potatoes until they are "fork tender" which I assume means that you can poke them with a fork without too much difficulty.
Drain potatoes and place in big bowl.
Drizzle potatoes with a generous amount of olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red peppers, thyme, and rosemary.
Toss potatoes in bowl until they're all properly coated. Dump potatoes on lined baking sheet.
Use the bottom of a glass to squish the potatoes until they're little discs about half an inch thick. This works best on the smallest potatoes; larger ones tended to just fall apart rather than squish into reasonably neat discs.
Bake at 425 degrees F (218 C) for half an hour, flipping them over halfway through.

They were supposed to come out with crispy, crunchy outsides and fluffy insides. While they were certainly fluffy inside the outside didn't crisp up enough. Perhaps they lost too much olive oil during the squishing process, dunno. At least they were tasty.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: June 19, 2021, 12:50:26 pm »

... oversized burger king hashbrowns? The little disk ones? That's what that sounds like. Also sounds pretty good outside the onion powder :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: June 19, 2021, 05:12:15 pm »

Not quite. Hash browns (and their cousin, the tater tot)  are basically the potato version of chicken nuggets; taters than have been shredded to bits and then pressed back together into the desired shape. These were whole (if small) potatoes that were simply squished.

Also, what's wrong with onion powder?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: June 19, 2021, 06:18:27 pm »

Onions in general are one of the worst tasting things I've found in food, t'me :P

Stuff tastes vile in just about every circumstance, regardless of preparation method or other seasoning.

... it's also in basically goddamn everything, so, y'know :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: June 20, 2021, 06:52:56 am »

Onions are the fucking food of the gods mate and I'll hear nothing else
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: June 20, 2021, 07:18:38 am »

The gods are shit, sure, I hear you :V
Ask not!
Ask!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: June 21, 2021, 03:28:06 am »

No bitching about onion!

Onion is LOVELY when used correctly!
Potato soup? FLAT without onion!
Home-style roast and veg? NEEDS ONION.

Anyhow, my exhibit today contans 0 onion. Just lots of almond, sugar, and some egg.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 03:39:36 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: June 21, 2021, 04:37:38 am »

Beautiful
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4780 on: June 21, 2021, 04:16:32 pm »

Onion is a vital part of the flavor experience. I can't say I like onion but I know what it adds to pretty much every meal.

Just cook that shit first. Raw onion is not a garnish.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4781 on: June 21, 2021, 07:05:37 pm »

I've cooked with it occasionally for other people, sure, but personally just about the only thing it adds to any meal is a worse taste, heh. Usually badly enough I'm just like, nah, I'll pass.

There's an exception or two (for whatever reason, sour cream and onion chips are fine, though I don't like the taste of sour cream or onion on their own, ha, and I can't even taste the stuff in the curry powder I've been basically mainlining for the last while), but generally it's just... bad. To my taste buds. Onion powder isn't quite as bad, but it's still mostly just kinda' nasty.

It's honestly a bit of a conundrum; I really dislike onions, and there's someone else in my home that really dislikes garlic, so between the two of us it's like just about everything in a store or whatever can go to varying degrees of hell :P

Add in there's a salt restricted diet involved, on top of a diabetic, and grocery shopping for stuff you don't make from scratch is... difficult. Basically everything has either onions or garlic, usually both, carb watching is its own mess, and basically goddamn everything frozen or canned or whatever is just friggin' drenched in salt.

There's a market niche for low carb/low salt easy cooked meals that isn't being filled in US grocery stores, right now.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4782 on: June 21, 2021, 10:57:21 pm »

There's a market niche for low carb/low salt easy cooked meals that isn't being filled in US grocery stores, right now.

The problem you have there is "easy cooked." The need for convenience reduces your control over your eventual choices, because for conveniences' sake, they use what's affordable and convenient for them to create flavor: sugar and salt and onion powder, etc...

I get it though. Salt and carbs (ie. sugar) garlic and onion are 4 of the 5 legs of the flavor table. Fat is the other. Of course there are other seasonings, but garlic salt fat and onion are what gives things savor. I don't even really know what the flavor of onion really is, I just know that in the range of "savory" it's one level. So I don't avoid cooking with it but I always exclude it from everything I get served to me if they just slap it on there. Cook it so I don't know it's there.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4783 on: June 22, 2021, 07:49:56 pm »

Come ye round, let Frumple speak the mighty secret of "Half-assed Hamburger Steak"!

First! You take a sufficient amount of ground hamburger, probably around a half pound or so, maybe less, I'unno, whatever you feel like eating.

Then! You put it in a pan on a stove and shape it into a MIGHTY HAMBURGER STEAK SHAPE. It's like a hamburger patty, but kinda' oval shaped and elongated compared to a normal patty. You know what I'm talkin' about.

Lastly! You cook it until it's done, maintaining the MIGHTY HAMBURGER STEAK SHAPE throughout!

That's it. You're done. You can eat Frumple's Half-assed Hamburger Steak now. No clue what it actually tastes like (presumably a hamburger patty considering all it is is an oversized hamburger patty), but the person I'm feeding it to so far has no complaints.
Ask not!
Ask!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: June 23, 2021, 04:50:54 pm »

Forgive me, Culinary Gods, for tonight I have sinned.

Like the lazy bastard I am, I've waited until last minute to start marinating the soon-to-expire pork neck for some nice pulled pork tomorrow.

I'm using a modified recipe that swaps out the lager for crushed tomatoes.

And when I add the crushed tomatoes--the last step before steeping the pork--I see, with eyes full of horror, not tomatoes coming out of the can, but baked beans in tomato sauce.

I've been a fool and have bought the wrong can! Same company, same tomato red can, but one with beans on it instead of tomatoes.

The stores are closed, the pork must be marinated tonight, and I'll be damned if I waste this expensive pork cut.

I commit to the sin, and steep the pork in.

Gods have mercy on me. Don't let tomorrow be ruined.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 334