Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552905 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3375 on: March 26, 2016, 03:05:14 pm »

Compared to that, we have an absurd variety of porridge here. There's buckwheat (grechka), semolina (manka), oatmeal (ovsianka), barley (perlovka), millet (pshonka)... The list probably goes on, but those are the ones I can get from the store nearby.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: March 27, 2016, 05:44:24 am »

Oatmeal porridge is probably the only really common one in Australia, can't say I'm a huge fan though. Give me a slice of toasted rye bread and some cheese, maybe a little salami, and I'm good for brekky :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: March 27, 2016, 10:48:59 pm »

Speaking of Australia...

Spoiler: I made pikelets! (click to show/hide)
recipe

Thick little pancakes, topped with preserves. The ones on the left have blackberry and the ones on the right have strawberry.

I always enjoy making regular pancakes small, so it was great to make some that were supposed to be small. They were the perfect size for eating by hand. I also enjoy putting preserves on them. Next time I'll have to grab some whipped cream to use too.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: March 28, 2016, 03:17:25 am »

I enjoy the occasional bowl of porridge! Might start eating it more often once winter kicks in again... ugh. 

Currently I am drinking weak beer and eating homemade pizza. It actually turned out quite well!
It just goes to show, you can't have too much onion! We used both the brown and red kind, as well as capsicum, pineapple, pickled walnuts and a whole bunch of other ingredients.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: March 28, 2016, 03:57:37 am »

Do you guys eat buckwheat porridge, though? It's such a massive staple over here, but I'm not sure if I've ever heard anybody outside the former USSR mention it, and I was always curious about that.

Grechki are the best. Buckwheat and porridge is my breakfast every morning, and I'm likely to maintain that when I get back to the States.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3380 on: March 29, 2016, 11:48:39 am »

Made up a curry with some mince, a couple of onions, generic mixed vegetables and rice, using a masala blend from a spice company I hadn't tried. It came out quite sweet, which I'm inclined to say was the onions, but had a pleasant mellow flavour. A little bit of a burn, but nothing over the top.

Not a huge fan of the sweetness. It's nice with a spoon of chutney mixed in, but I'm still struggling to find a nice, rich curry that doesn't tend that way.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: March 29, 2016, 05:22:17 pm »

Not a huge fan of the sweetness. It's nice with a spoon of chutney mixed in, but I'm still struggling to find a nice, rich curry that doesn't tend that way.
Maybe try Southeast Asian curries which use coconut cream?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: March 29, 2016, 05:24:44 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:39:28 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: March 29, 2016, 05:32:40 pm »

I still need to learn to cook. I know little, so ptw, I guess.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: March 29, 2016, 05:39:55 pm »

Maybe try Southeast Asian curries which use coconut cream?
It's actually coconut milk. I'm pretty sure coconut cream is a face cosmetic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: March 29, 2016, 05:41:07 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:24:13 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: March 29, 2016, 05:50:21 pm »

Look, coconut is used on everything ok. I don't really keep track.

Plus on topic of curry, I only know coconut milk being used, especially the kind you squeeze out of that, grated coconut? I'm honestly not sure. It looked like coconut flakes after we were done with them but I don't remember doing anything with them but throw it away.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: March 29, 2016, 05:50:54 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:24:08 pm by Vector »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: March 29, 2016, 05:55:25 pm »

Don't worry about it. Just that coconut cream sounded alot more like some beauty product that something you eat because any recipe you needed coconut to be cream-like is handled with coconut milk.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: March 29, 2016, 06:21:14 pm »

Coconut cream is just coconut milk but prepared with more coconut-flesh to water. It's useful if you want to make a coconut-based curry but it would end up too runny otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 334