Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 550325 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Puenster on Punpernickel
« Reply #3015 on: July 28, 2015, 02:20:07 am »

So I have to ask

Does Properly cooked Brown Rice taste like this?

It tastes overcooked, soggy and mushy, and undercooked, hard and almost crunchy, at the same time?

Or is there a way to prepare it better?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: July 28, 2015, 05:40:52 am »

From what i'm told, soak it in water for about 1 hour before cooking normally. Though what I do personally is add more water, like if you are cooking 3 cups, add water for 4 cups.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: July 29, 2015, 01:53:39 am »

So I have to ask

Does Properly cooked Brown Rice taste like this?

It tastes overcooked, soggy and mushy, and undercooked, hard and almost crunchy, at the same time?

Or is there a way to prepare it better?
Too moist, you need to cook it very slowly for a long time with minimal water, steaming is ideal.
I generally use the same method I use for white rice, rinse the rice (less critical for brown) add the right quantity of water (It's about one part rice to 2 parts water).
Note if you rinsed the rice it will now already contain water which makes working out the quantity of water to add difficult. The solution is to rinse the rice by putting it into a measuring container, add the 2 parts water, note how high the level is. Then rinse using that water. After draining it out top up to that line again. Then put that into a pot, put on a medium heat until it starts to simmer, turn the heat right down as low as possible and put a lid on to let it absorb.
White rice it should take like 7-10 minutes, brown... uh, 20 maybe?
If you're not sure check it every 5 mins to make sure it hasn't boiled dry or stuck to the bottom of the pot and burned.
The rice when done should be expanded slightly, the rice inside visibly trying to break out of the husk but not puffy and starchy. It should be soft but chewy, not crisp at all. Though you're welcome to cook it until it's sticky if you want, it makes nice nutty flavoured rice puddings.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: July 29, 2015, 10:41:17 am »

So I was finally alone home and with a kitchen.

So I decided to make kinda-chilli. Used some extra veggies, started off with onions, garlic and a single green paprika. Then added some mushrooms and the beef afterwards. Finished off with a chopped up tomato and some tomato sauce/ketchup to add a bit of sweetness. After all that cooked for a while I tossed in a bunch of canned corn/beans and let it all simmer for a bit.

Turned out pretty nice for a first time, I still can't figure out why no matter how much salt I added it didn't taste salty enough but the hotness was pretty spot on, even though I thought I added too much powder and cayenne.

In any case, chilli fuck yeah!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: July 29, 2015, 11:59:52 am »

So I was finally alone home and with a kitchen.
Turned out pretty nice for a first time, I still can't figure out why no matter how much salt I added it didn't taste salty enough but the hotness was pretty spot on, even though I thought I added too much powder and cayenne.

In any case, chilli fuck yeah!

bacon is the key. or a pig's foot. or just beef stock. something to give the umami/salt flavours.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: July 29, 2015, 12:53:21 pm »

I did chuck in a few bits of bacon but I guess that wasn't enough. Next time tho. Also I think I'll try and make it thicker/creamier next time (as in, it was chunky but the consistency was varying between runny and hard bits, I want it to less of a gap between those two extremes), not sure how I'll do that yet but I have some ideas I might try.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: July 29, 2015, 12:55:51 pm »

I did chuck in a few bits of bacon but I guess that wasn't enough. Next time tho. Also I think I'll try and make it thicker/creamier next time (as in, it was chunky but the consistency was varying between runny and hard bits, I want it to less of a gap between those two extremes), not sure how I'll do that yet but I have some ideas I might try.

Puree half of the beans, it works well

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3022 on: July 29, 2015, 02:05:58 pm »

Mostly unrelated to chilli: I currently have a cup of hardcore cocoa.

It's hot, it's spiced, it's bitter, and it's caffeinated. I boiled up some cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger with about fifteen ml of cocoa in about 150ml of water, added 10-15ml of instant coffee (I didn't want to boil coffee grounds), and gave it another boil. Topped it off with more water and milk.

It tastes amazing and I need to do this more often.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:13:20 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: July 29, 2015, 02:33:04 pm »

Puree half of the beans, it works well
Just mushing them a bit helps as well.

For soups adding some mashed potatoes can do miracles.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: July 29, 2015, 03:17:58 pm »

I went to the Indian grocery store today and got some papaya candy. It is literally bits of sweetened and colored papaya. After getting over the fact that it's a very different texture than I expected, it tastes good. Who would have thought you can make fruit candy out of fruit?

I also got some cool spices I've never used before. Green cardamom, mace, shah jeera, and dried fenugreek. Tonight I'm cooking something I found on this site Japa linked in IRC. It is a cool site and I will probably make a bunch of things from it in the future.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: August 02, 2015, 02:23:39 pm »

Spoiler: Behold! (click to show/hide)

Also, we made some homemade redcurrant jelly that day, but it wal labour intensive as all hell.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: August 02, 2015, 03:55:47 pm »

Spoiler: paneer lababdar (click to show/hide)
paneer / lababdar / garam masala

Indian cooking is fun! I made the paneer and garam masala that went into the recipe. The paneer got pressed too thin so it was crumbly, which made the dish look less cool, but whatever. It still tasted great. I ate it with some paratha from the store.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: August 03, 2015, 11:41:23 am »

Finally found some nori to wrap around my onigiri. Fun fact, nori is ridiculously expensive, a little more than $1 a sheet. It also tastes like crap. I had a screenshot of the rice balls I made with it plus the loaf a bread I had with my lunch, but I left it on another machine.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: August 04, 2015, 03:56:48 pm »

You know... I think I can't stand greasy chicken anymore...

I have actually started to prefer boneless chicken because it is rarely super greasy.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: August 05, 2015, 05:30:56 am »

You know... I think I can't stand greasy chicken anymore...

I have actually started to prefer boneless chicken because it is rarely super greasy.

Yup. I haven't bought bone-in KFC in over a decade because of this exact reason (not that I buy KFC more than a couple of times a year as is, but still). The grease around the bone is rank.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 334