Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 554555 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: To Beef or Not to Beef
« Reply #2880 on: June 06, 2015, 04:51:58 pm »

The latest comic is absolutely heretical, though. (Shame on you, Randall! >:|)

Mmmm, this is such a positive experience! I feel no social pressure to enjoy it at all!

I never drink beer in company! Your argument is invalid!!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 04:55:13 pm by SirQuiamus »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: June 06, 2015, 05:32:53 pm »

I appreciate everyone like that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: June 10, 2015, 11:01:27 pm »

Today's dinner:

Braised cabbage with kielbasa.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: June 11, 2015, 12:49:31 pm »

Breakfast riiiiiice. Sorta'. Cup of white rice, bit of beef bullion, two eggs, bit of cheese, part of the beef from stirfry someone else was making, bit of black pepper. It's been a while since I've done egg'd rice, and my breakfast rice usually uses bacon (and sometimes mac & cheese) instead of beef, but whatev'. It was delicious ;_;

I just want to state for the record adding eggs to rice is amazingly good for how little effort it is. You beat the eggs into that fine, omelet-cooking-like slurry, and then the last three or four minutes of the rice cooking you just stir the stuff in. Eggs get cooked and mixed with the rice to more or less perfection. It's wonderful, and basically zero effort.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: June 11, 2015, 03:53:36 pm »

The ingredients are finely-minced chicken, finely-minced rice noodles, exceptionally-minced carrot, exceptionally-minced onion, masterfully-minced cabbage, finely-minced teriyaki sauce, exceptionally-minced ginger paste, finely-minced black pepper, well-minced bell pepper, exceptionally-minced coriander seeds, well-minced turmeric, exceptionally-minced cane sugar, well-minced table salt, and well-minced unidentified powder we found in the cupboard.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: June 11, 2015, 03:57:12 pm »

Oh, you had a meal together? Neat!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: June 11, 2015, 04:57:32 pm »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:15:19 am by penguinofhonor »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: June 11, 2015, 04:58:44 pm »

Breakfast riiiiiice. Sorta'. Cup of white rice, bit of beef bullion, two eggs, bit of cheese, part of the beef from stirfry someone else was making, bit of black pepper. It's been a while since I've done egg'd rice, and my breakfast rice usually uses bacon (and sometimes mac & cheese) instead of beef, but whatev'. It was delicious ;_;

I just want to state for the record adding eggs to rice is amazingly good for how little effort it is. You beat the eggs into that fine, omelet-cooking-like slurry, and then the last three or four minutes of the rice cooking you just stir the stuff in. Eggs get cooked and mixed with the rice to more or less perfection. It's wonderful, and basically zero effort.

What do you do with the excess water?
Like, every time I've cooked rice I've had to use extra water so the stuff doesn't burn, then drain it before using it for anything further because I hate watery rice, it's just awful texture wise. Which is kinda odd since I just love the sticky slightly gooey rice, I think it's because it's every so slightly thicker in consistency.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: June 11, 2015, 05:02:50 pm »

Try double boiling it. Prevents the water from boiling off and the rice burning to the bottom of the pan, so you can use less water and get a better steam.

<3 my double boiler so much.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: June 11, 2015, 05:06:48 pm »

unidentified powder we found in the cupboard.

Living life on the edge, I see. Here's hoping you don't identify this powder because of its psychoactive effects.

Or toxicity.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: June 11, 2015, 05:30:49 pm »

What do you do with the excess water?
Like, every time I've cooked rice I've had to use extra water so the stuff doesn't burn, then drain it before using it for anything further because I hate watery rice, it's just awful texture wise. Which is kinda odd since I just love the sticky slightly gooey rice, I think it's because it's every so slightly thicker in consistency.
My strategy of late is to stir constantly toward the end as it gets thick to prevent burning, and then let it sit and cool for about 10-15 minutes. This allows it to soak up more of the water, although so far it tends to leave a thick, sticky coating on the rice, almost like a sauce.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: June 11, 2015, 05:42:17 pm »

Yall could use a fancy rice cooker to handle these issues

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: June 11, 2015, 06:10:49 pm »

How do you get these issues in the first place? I usually just measure out enough water that the rice will be done cooking when it's all absorbed (2:1 water:rice ratio for my current jasmine rice), stir it a few times while it's simmering, and then make sure to take it off once the water is absorbed. It doesn't burn unless I forget it and leave the rice cooking without water for a few minutes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: June 11, 2015, 06:36:44 pm »

Uh... yeah, as per PoH. I just follow the directions on the bag, which is almost always a 2:1 ratio on the water:rice, and a varying amount of cooking time depending on the type of rice (white tends to be about 15, brown is like 40-45, other stuff I don't cook enough to recall off the top of my head). Never really have problems with excess water. Definitely stir a time or two during the simmering phase, maybe let it sit a little while after cooking.

I think the time or two I did use a bit too much water I just shoved some instant mashed potatoes into it. Thickens, and I like what it does to the texture. Or cheese, which does the same thing and wonders to the taste. or both

E: The other option is to double down and make soup from it if the water's excessive. Throw in a bowl of ramen or something. Done that before, too.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:43:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 334