Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 552615 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Slow Your Roll
« Reply #2205 on: January 23, 2015, 11:09:16 am »

No
But I don't much like cabbage or vinegar...
Sauerkraut has a very distinct taste - it doesn't compare to cabbage at all. Give it a try, it's one of the very few German contributions to the art of cooking!
German potato salad
What do you mean by German potato salad? Potatos with apples, gherkins, lots of mayonnaise? Because that dish is just heavenly.
No, no, God no. Sliced potatoes, vinegar, bacon, a little parsley and chives. Served hot.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: January 23, 2015, 12:41:16 pm »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: January 23, 2015, 01:03:29 pm »

Is that mayo on those buns?

That is entirely too fucking much mayo in there if so.

Also as far as potato salads go, a friend made Bavarian (I think it was called that) potato (also right now I'm questioning the word potato for some reason) salad. Think it had sliced potatoes, onions, sliced pickles and some spices and vinegar of course. Damn tasteful it was.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: January 23, 2015, 01:05:59 pm »

Is that mayo on those buns?

That is entirely too fucking much mayo in there if so.

Whipped cream I'd guess. Sweet bun+whipped cream+jam. Idk why they tried to make them look like hotdogs though.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: January 23, 2015, 01:12:24 pm »

Aye they're sweet buns with whipped cream and almond paste (and jam in the third one).

Idk why they tried to make them look like hotdogs though.
Some sort of culinary experiment if I've understood it correctly. This is what they're supposed to be but some people are being rebellious.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: January 23, 2015, 01:18:35 pm »

There's a whole line of the culinary arts based around subverting expectations, by designing one food that looks like another.

Edit: Holy crap, do I sound like a pompous ass there or what?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: January 23, 2015, 01:20:51 pm »

There's a whole line of the culinary arts based around subverting expectations, by designing one food that looks like another.

Edit: Holy crap, do I sound like a pompous ass there or what?

Unless you edited much, not really.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2212 on: January 23, 2015, 01:22:54 pm »

Not even slightly.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: January 23, 2015, 01:26:54 pm »

Ok, good, was worried about big word count there... I have a friend once who was very very very sensitive to the fact that I went to Uni and he didn't, and would feel like I was rubbing it in any time I used a word he didn't know....

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2214 on: January 23, 2015, 01:31:55 pm »

Sophistication of the highest degree is generally accepted around here, unless you're being pointlessly verbose in a manner completely devoid of subtlety to drive home your argument with all the finesse of a deranged great ape.

Edit: actually, it's okay then. It's just if you're obviously trying to sound smart. Also if you misuse a word.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: January 23, 2015, 01:35:50 pm »

I do say, you seem to have misplaced your monocle at some point during your extensive tirade.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: January 23, 2015, 09:17:39 pm »

OK, kids, you ready for FearfulJesuit's somewhat authentic Brazilian rice and feijoada recipe? It's tasty, it's cheap, it's pretty good for you, you can eat it every other day for weeks without getting sick of it, it's actually pretty fast, it's kind of authentic, it's perfect college student or general tight-budget chow.

You will need:

a) an onion
b) a head of garlic
c) some olive oil
d) white rice (I suppose you can use brown but I've never done it)
e) black beans (a plain can of them will do)
f) meat of some sort (optional for vegetarians). Pork sausage is traditional, but you could use something else. I use chorizo sausage and occasionally some stewing pork, which is the cheapest cut you can get and bland as hell, but adds protein.

You can use dry beans and do whatever you do to dry beans. I don't usually have the time, unfortunately, and canned black beans with a bit of salt are already pretty tasty. If you use a can of black beans, it'll take you about 30-40 minutes to cook this.

The Rice

Turn your stove on medium and put a saucepan on top of it. Take some onion- around a quarter cup per serving is about the usual- and mince it. Add a little olive oil in your saucepan- a tablespoon or less will do. Wait for it to heat up a bit, then throw in the onion and a clove of minced/pressed garlic.

Once they've been crackling nicely for a bit, but are not brown, add the rice, about half a cup per person if I recall correctly. Stir it around until it's shiny (that means there's oil on it) and sticks together in little clumps. Add twice as much water by volume as you have of rice, and a bit of salt (to taste). Stir it once but no more, set it to boil (medium-high works) and let it go for a while. Once it boils, turns it down a bit and wait for it to absorb all the water and have the consistency of good rice. Fluff it with a fork and you're done. Meanwhile, you'll have been making...

The Feijoada

This is bean stew, basically. There's no truly canonical recipe for it (there are much more complicated ways of doing it than I'm presenting here), especially with regards to the meat- Brazil has only been anything approaching a rich country for the past decade or so and is still awfully poor in a lot of places, so using the cheapest pork, or any meat you can get your hands on, is probably the most "traditional" way of making feijoada. However, pork sausage is the usual way to make it in restaurants. Chorizo is a good approximation in the US.

First, do what you did with the rice- chop up some onion and sauté it in a bit of olive oil (not too much or you'll get scum on top- two tablespoons is plenty) with a minced clove of garlic, on medium heat. Then add the beans. You may as well just dump the whole can in there- you can rinse the beans in a colander to keep the salt down (and bear in mind that Brazilian food can be very salt-heavy), but you'll want to add a bit more water if you do that. You can chop up the pork and put that in too at this point, as much or as little if you wish, and turn the heat up a little bit. While it heats up, take a wooden spoon and smush lots of the beans against the side of the pot. This will release the inner bean-mushiness, which will boil into the water and give you a nice creamy broth. Once it hits boiling, you can turn it down a bit and let it sit for a few minutes to finish creaming the smushed beans.

One can of black beans will make enough feijoada for two light eaters or one famished one. Traditionally you can serve it wish some orange slices on the side.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:24:03 pm by FearfulJesuit »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: January 25, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »

So, refried beans and rice?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: January 25, 2015, 06:19:46 pm »

Omelette from leftover gouda and slightly burnt onions is fairly delicious, apparently. And easy to produce!
Repeatedly dousing the onions with vinegar to dissolve the brown coating on the bottom of the pan helped as well, I guess.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: January 25, 2015, 07:16:27 pm »

Speaking of omelettes, I made a fried egg omelette today. It was delicious.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 334