Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 549911 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: It's rad! Or radish at least.
« Reply #1665 on: September 11, 2014, 10:34:24 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:07:11 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: September 11, 2014, 10:38:21 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: September 12, 2014, 06:04:03 am »

Mmm McDonald's Sausage & Egg McMuffin
What? DON'T JUDGE ME!
OMNOMNOMNOMNOM

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: September 12, 2014, 07:20:27 am »

By the way, I ended up making some sausage and kale soup, minus the sausage. I'll see if I can dredge the recipe back up at some point. I recommend you replace the sausage with beef or something, if not just leave it out completely.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: September 12, 2014, 09:35:05 pm »

If you can find processed vegetable protein somewhere, you can use them where you normally use meat chunks for a decent vegetarian dish.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: September 13, 2014, 12:10:20 am »

While I'm not a vegetarian, several of my friends are, and they rave about seitan. Depending on the variety, it's even possible to get it with texture reminiscent of chicken. It's pretty much pure gluten from wheat, and apparently has a lot more body than tofu.

On that note also, please don't ever use tofu for meat replacement... it's a wonderful product, but it shouldn't be treated as something that it isn't, and every dish I've ever had that tried to use tofu in place of meat has ended up a horrendous abomination against cooking. You can use it as the protein source in a dish, by all means, but it's not something that can be done without changing other parts of the recipe as well.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1671 on: September 13, 2014, 02:19:08 am »

While I'm not a vegetarian, several of my friends are, and they rave about seitan. Depending on the variety, it's even possible to get it with texture reminiscent of chicken. It's pretty much pure gluten from wheat, and apparently has a lot more body than tofu.

On that note also, please don't ever use tofu for meat replacement... it's a wonderful product, but it shouldn't be treated as something that it isn't, and every dish I've ever had that tried to use tofu in place of meat has ended up a horrendous abomination against cooking. You can use it as the protein source in a dish, by all means, but it's not something that can be done without changing other parts of the recipe as well.

Agreed. Tofu is awesome, but it is nothing like meat. Seitan is indeed amazing. I've also had good experiences with other types of "soya meat," though I'm not sure what they're called in other countries. For example, you can get soy hamburger patties that taste great, and the texture is so similar to meat that if you have some toppings on there, you might not even notice the difference. Around here, you can get bags of dried soya meat chunks that you just rehydrate and add to food. I like to get the smallest ones and throw them in pasta sauces; it's just like ground meat. And all these veggie substitutes have the added advantage of generally being a hell of a lot cheaper than meat! Which is why I almost always cook veggie meals.

If you don't like meat substitutes, there's always lentils and beans. Learn how to make a simple lentil curry or dhaal and you'll always have an amazing veggie recipe ready to go. I personally have a great kidney bean recipe: fry up onions, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil with dried basil, add a can of red beans (rinse them first and then add some extra water to remove some of the excess salt that always comes in those cans) and a sprinkling of flour and dash of soy sauce. While it's cooking and the sauce is thickening up, cook up either some rice or pasta to serve it on. When the grain is ready, the beans should be ready too. Voila! 10-15 minutes of cooking, and you can easily make as much or little as you like. I've always had compliments on this one, and it's super easy.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1672 on: September 13, 2014, 04:17:58 am »

We've got all those weird soy-based meat substitutes over in my realm. They are absolutely terrible. They bear semblance to meat that has been processed a few dozen times.
That said, they usually don't taste too bad, and it's certainly cheaper than the slaughtered alternative, so I guess it balances out.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: September 13, 2014, 06:16:45 am »

I hate it when people try and give me meat substitutes.
"But you're vegetarian, you're supposed to like this!"
Well guess what, well-meaning relatives, friends, and aquaintances, if I liked the taste of meat, I would eat meat.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: September 13, 2014, 10:21:16 am »

Seeking a substitute for my creamer for a morning, I added some milk, cinnamon, and a few drops of vanilla extract. The result was blasphemy. Utter, delicious blasphemy.

I think I used a little too much cinnamon, though. And I would love to get some pumpkin flavor in that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: September 13, 2014, 11:17:50 am »

Steam explosions are not very delicious, I've found, but they do make for a marvelous source of adrenalin. In related news, if you notice that your hard boiled egg is not done, for the love of God, do not finish the other in the microwave. It does not do the yolk's texture any favors.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1676 on: September 13, 2014, 12:56:01 pm »

And if you do do it, have a care and punch a hole through the yolk with a knife first, or you will be cleaning egg off the inside of your microwave. The shells make the most amazing mortar tubes, and the contents are a nightmare to get off the roof.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: September 13, 2014, 06:47:34 pm »

I've always wondered because I kind of want cheaper and Tasty sushi...

But how do you make proper sushi anyhow? One thing I noticed is that home made sushi seaweed is often too tough.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: September 13, 2014, 07:25:41 pm »

And if you do do it, have a care and punch a hole through the yolk with a knife first, or you will be cleaning egg off the inside of your microwave. The shells make the most amazing mortar tubes, and the contents are a nightmare to get off the roof.
Oh, I had the sense to take it out before it exploded in the microwave, trust me. Not till I bit into it did that fucker go off.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: September 14, 2014, 06:04:40 am »

Oh, I had the sense to take it out before it exploded in the microwave, trust me. Not till I bit into it did that fucker go off.

While I understand that this was no doubt a traumatic experience for you, I'm sorry, but I straight up burst out laughing at that imagery.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 334