Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 334

Author Topic: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry  (Read 556494 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Food Thread: Kitchen Chemistry
« Reply #3585 on: September 08, 2016, 03:16:40 pm »

Yeah, the sort I buy have been good out to ~1mo, haven't had to test them beyond that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: September 08, 2016, 03:24:06 pm »

What do you think is a good ingredient for cranberry pie filling? Besides cranberries, I mean.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: September 08, 2016, 03:31:56 pm »

Apples might work. I recently made a crisp out of apples and tart berries and they paired together really well.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: September 10, 2016, 09:06:16 am »

Is it sweet filling or tart filling?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: September 10, 2016, 02:29:17 pm »

I was going for tart. You're a little late to the pie in question, but I'd still like to hear your opinion on this.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3590 on: September 13, 2016, 11:05:55 am »

Friends, I am looking for a reasonably simple but tasty and filling couscous dish. I don't normally cook couscous, but I bought a box of it and I need ideas. I'm trying to feed a very hungry man in addition to my more humble self, so filling recipes are the goal. I usually cook without meat but lately I've started cooking some chicken once a week or so, so that's an option. Any suggestions?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: September 13, 2016, 01:20:23 pm »

I was going for tart. You're a little late to the pie in question, but I'd still like to hear your opinion on this.
Well, if you want tart, Granny Smith apples are probably good.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: September 24, 2016, 09:42:17 am »

Okay, so I'm probably not going to try it today. But I just realized I don't know why we don't mix, say, cake batter, in whatever container you're going to bake it in. Like. If you can stir/mix well enough in the baking pan, why do we not do that? Because it seems to me on the face of it that would mean losing less mix to the sides of the mixing bowl and having one less thing to wash.

So. Has anyone tried it, or at least know from observation/practical experience why it's a bad idea?

E: Though having gone through the normal motions of box mixture based baking, it does look like at least one answer is probably sticking. Would probably be a bigger concern than normal if you did the mix in the pan, even if you greased it beforehand. Hrm. Probably give it a try the next time we've got something to cook I'm not the most fond of. This time is banana bread, and banana bread is for eating, not experimenting.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:55:09 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: September 24, 2016, 11:20:40 am »

For me it's also the thing that my baking pan has pretty low walls, so batter would end up getting splattered all over the kitchen.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3594 on: September 24, 2016, 11:37:00 am »

Yummmmmm! Anyone else ever had a portobello mushroom burger? They are the best. I just ate one with this garlic aioli - best burger I've ever had, AND it feels like a sophisticated dwarven meal.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: September 24, 2016, 11:06:06 pm »

Portobello mushrooms are fantastic! They are best cooked as if you're cooking a steak; indeed, barbecuing a steak and then cooking a few portobellos in the remaining juice/oil/seasoning is simple and delicious.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: September 25, 2016, 12:43:09 am »

Speaking of, I just went out an had a fuckin' fantastic burger. I remember lamb, shiitake mushroom, a fried egg, pepper jack, onion, heirloom tomato, and bacon, but there was some other stuff on as well. Delish.

Still not as good as the bowling alley burgers though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: September 25, 2016, 02:19:50 am »

Okay, so I'm probably not going to try it today. But I just realized I don't know why we don't mix, say, cake batter, in whatever container you're going to bake it in. Like. If you can stir/mix well enough in the baking pan, why do we not do that? Because it seems to me on the face of it that would mean losing less mix to the sides of the mixing bowl and having one less thing to wash.

Couple of reasons. Firstly, a lot of cake tins are non-stick or otherwise coated/enamelled/etc. Mixing is often rather vigorous, and could damage the coating if you're using a metal whisk/spoon/fork.

Secondly, you'll often want to grease the side of the pan. Can't do that if you're mixing in it, as you'll generally stir up and compromise your butter etc.

Third is shape; both as Avis says, with spilling over the low sides, but also things like sharper corners meaning there are more nooks and crannies for unincorporated flour to hide in.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: September 25, 2016, 05:07:12 am »

Friends, I am looking for a reasonably simple but tasty and filling couscous dish. I don't normally cook couscous, but I bought a box of it and I need ideas. I'm trying to feed a very hungry man in addition to my more humble self, so filling recipes are the goal. I usually cook without meat but lately I've started cooking some chicken once a week or so, so that's an option. Any suggestions?

Basic couscous treatment is (assuming instant couscous) equal volumes of couscous and boiling water, a knob of butter or glug of olive oil, salt and spices (optional). Tailor the spices to whatever you're serving with it. Once you've made your couscous, you can treat it sort of like cooked rice or pasta, any granular carbohydrate like that, serve it with a salad and some kind of protein - chicken, in your case, i guess, or some kind of bean dish maybe?
You can also mix things into it in a sort of grain salad analogue; diced onion and capsicum (bell pepper), maybe some peas or corn, whatever you like. Raisins or other small, dried fruit are appropriate to the cuisine, too, though I'm not a fan.
The most traditional method is to serve it with a stew kinda dealie; a tagine, typically. You can make a quite nice vegetable tagine with tomatoes and orange vegetables (pumpkin, squash, sweet potato) and cumin, cinnamon, coriander, etc. You could also make it with chicken; there are loads of different tagines out there.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: September 25, 2016, 05:33:35 am »

Yummmmmm! Anyone else ever had a portobello mushroom burger? They are the best. I just ate one with this garlic aioli - best burger I've ever had, AND it feels like a sophisticated dwarven meal.
I haven't actually! I almost have a couple of times in the past, but I wasn't sure quite how well it would work.
Now that I've seen someone vouch for them, though, I'll have to try one next time I'm somewhere that makes 'em. :)

Right now I'm eating macaroni cheese, with a few slices of tomato on top. I didn't cook it, but oh well. It's prettyvery nice even if it is horribly unhealthy.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 334