Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Roll to Industrial Japan! (Turn 15: Resurrection!)  (Read 16022 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Industrial Japan!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 06:39:07 am »

Sheet incoming. I hope a psychopath is an acceptable character. (medical psychopath, not media)
Is the 6th slot still open? If so reserve it or something for me.

Whichever of you guys can make a sheet first, that's who I'll let in.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 06:42:01 am »

((Well both usually only post during the nighttime. So meh.
Edit: >.>))
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:52:10 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 07:12:02 pm »

Bump, my sheet is done.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 08:16:07 pm »

Chapter 1: Japan Awakens

OOC: So, it begins! Now you can choose your characters first actions. Just as a note, I will be treating the currency as 1 Yen = 1 Modern U.S. Penny. Happy adventuring!

----------

Sarawa Io has begun his quest for a purpose. He is armed with only clothes, money, and two ranged weapons. He finds himself in Tuyio, an urbanized city in Ruita. Looking around, he sees a variety of wooden houses. Down into Tuyio is a small marketplace, where Sarawa can hear the sounds of business being done. A farmer passes him and leads two cattle into the marketplace. To his right he sees a teahouse, the aroma traveling outwards to his nose. Nearby him, two men squat next to a fire, cooking fish.

He is armed with a Yumi Bow, the traditional bow used by archers for many generations. In his right hip-holster is a Bashido Pistol, a traditional Japanese-made firearm.

Spoiler: Sarawa Io (click to show/hide)

----------

Nikolae pays the boat driver and steps off. Looking around, he lucidly realizes that he is actual in Japan, land of adventure and dreams. Better than Europe, with war and famine killing half the people every Tuesday. He breathes in some crisp, cool sea air. He also smells a lot of fish, which smells differently than all the fishing ports he had been to in Europe. A few workers are down at the boats, tending to them. A man pulls his rod out of the water, a fish flailing about on it. He sees a sign, and he makes out the Japanese characters to say "Blacksmith." From inside he hears a hammer coming down on metal. Nikolae hears a new noise, loud laughter and talking from a nearby tavern. The language is neither Japanese nor German, so he does not understand it. However, after hearing a few sentences, he recognizes it to be French.

Nikolae posses two weapons. On his back he has a large diagonal holster, which carries a Dafeinher Rifle. This rifle was commonly wielded by German officials and generals. It is tipped with a metal bayonet. On his left-hip he has a scabbard for a Wrustbalgr Longsword, used by German duelists. 

Spoiler: Nikolae Kriegsmacher (click to show/hide)

----------

Shimizu lies with his sharpshooter unit at the top of a mountain-side that has been deployed to Hyritori. There are about 60 of them, and they lie waiting. Zubo, Shimizu's closest friend in the group, looks over the mountain-side, peering down alert. Some other men peer downwards, other are up and scouting around, their rifles pointed outwards. Suddenly, in a hushed yell, Zubo says, "Quick, they're coming!" All the men scurry to the edge of the mountainside. Looking over the small rock edge, they spot a single unit of Imperialist Line Infantry marching down a path. Rifles are pointed downwards at the unsuspecting soldiers. Zubo mutters, "These men trust you Shimizu, just give the order...."

Shimizu is carrying a Charleston Scoped Rifle, a powerful new innovation that is being supplied by the British. For his knife, he has a Kirite, an American-styled knife.

Spoiler: Shimizu Katsuo (click to show/hide)

----------

Horokomoi steps out of his home into Chuko (translation: Old) Kyoto, the capital of the Tokugawa. It's a splendid morning, the bright sun giving Horokomoi's red kimono a brilliant glow. He can smell a local restaurant cooking up breakfast. A group of soldiers march around the square. At a table, a group of Englishmen business hold conversation. Horokomoi feels like today he can hold a great purpose, like he can change his life and Japan. He just needs to decide where to start...

Horokomoi wields a Royal Katana, a gleaming and perfectly constructed blade, made specially for Japanese Nobility. Likewise, his right-hip holster contains a Martelez Pistol, a prized short barreled pistol developed and imported from France.

Spoiler: Horokomoi Orogami (click to show/hide)

----------

Matsuo, the Samurai legend, sits in a field by his small house in Banke. Birds chirp in the sky, and a gentle breeze sways the trees. Matsuo eats breakfast: a salmon, a bowl of rice, fruit, and a glass of tea. He sighs happily and gazes up in the sky, enjoying the peace and tranquility...but it only lasts for so long. Matsuo spots two young men running towards him. He gets up as they approach, and they reach him panting. "Oh...great Satoshi-san!" One of them gets out. "We are from Gtuyo." Matsuo knows of this village, which is a couple kilometers away. "It has been raided by bandits, who pillage the fields, kill the men and take the women! Please help us!"

On the ground near Matsuo lays his Yari Spear. It's a quick, deadly weapon that can stab a man twice before he can attack once. In his sword sheath is a Doragon, a heavy and powerful blade that can cut through multiple men in one stroke. (Matsuo knows this from experience.)

Spoiler: Matsuo Satoshi (click to show/hide)

----------

The gang of men laugh as they walk into Shutomo. Akira can smell a layer of smoke in the air. He sees two men carry a wooden pallet, and on the pallet are a stack of cannon wheels. One of the men step forward, "Welcome to Shutomo, Akira. This is a town called Koukon. It's not big, but it's got everything. A market, blacksmith, shrine, bank, post office, railroad station, whatever you want. But if you want to stick with us, we're going to have some fun..." He turns so he is facing all the others from the raid party. "We're going to get drunk, and then off to the brothel!" The men cheer. He turns back to Akira. "But really, you already helped us. Do whatever you want..."

Akira has a rifle and a back-holster he snatched up in the raid. The rifle is a Goroden, an antique that recently has been modified to carry modern ammunition and have a modern trigger. In his hip-scabbard is a Wakizashi, a short sword that can deal quick strikes, it is suited for indoor combat.

Spoiler: Akira Hiroto (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:38:31 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Industrial Japan! (Turn 1: Japan Awakens)
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 08:49:00 pm »

((Wow. Nice going there TCM. I liked my starting inventory as well. :P))
Nikolae:

Well, here he was. Japan, a nice place to start a new life...Or at least a good place to find some adventure and die at a young age. Any would do, after all Nikolae was here to have fun and escape all the paranoia of his family. He had a small amount of money, the sun was shining brightly and the cool sea breeze refreshed him.

It could as well be a bright new star- Oh. Französisch. They just had to be everywhere he went, always acting as stuck-up as a king. The Reichsland Elsass-Lothringen (also known as Alsace-Lorraine) came to his mind. The bastards would not be happy to see him and Nikolae was not searching for trouble, no Sir, he was not. He was curious about "Shutomo", a place he heard was famous due to its sharpshooters and heavy weaponry. But of course he had to find something to take him there, and the amount of gold he spent just to get from Europe to Japan was already large enough to leave him low on funds.

He wondered if there were any railroads nearby...Well~He stretched his arms lazily. He had to start acting at some point, didn't he?

Search for a way to make money and research on the prices of rides to other cities. Avoid the Französisch.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:24:00 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 09:21:41 pm »

I'm excited to see how this turns out.

After traveling to Tuyio, Io looks around, his eyes taking notice of the farmer. The farmer had two cattle. Perhaps using them as packing mules or selling the cattle themselves. Either way, a farmer came to the market place to make money. Even if a little. Io was no saint. He attempts to shadow the farmer for now. Wanting to follow him outside of town. It was there Io could make his move. His plan was simple, steal the cattle if they are there, and if not, take his money and clothes. Hopefully he could get a little bit off the farmer. If the farmer was quick about leaving the city, using Io's bow would be the best without spooking the cattle should they be there, as well as not alerting anyone. Io would take out the farmer outside of the city where there would be no guard.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 10:53:18 pm »

Heh. Akira smiles to himself as he realizes what just happened. He was no longer restrained by any rules or regulations or even ethics of being a royal heir. As a mercenary, he could do whatever he wanted, after all, all's fair in love and war. He remembered the raid: blood spilling and bones breaking, he recalled the men he killed for his weaponry. A guard, who may even have been a leader, gauging by the man's sword as opposed to spear. Then, he begun to laugh about how much the raiders liked him. How they would react if they knew he had slew one of them for his rifle.
Still laughing, Akira went for the post office, and looked for bounties.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 08:24:18 pm »

While we wait for everyone to post, I thought maybe I'd throw around some International News, just to have some fun events, some that may effect Japan in the future.

In the British Raj of India, a scholar by the name of Shodita Rustafe has starting speaking out against the British rule, and starting claiming ideas of social and political reform. It seems as if political unrest is brewing.

A large shipment of Opium from China was smuggled into Japan. By the time officials found out, it was too late...

In the U.S., the Americans have taken over Hawaii! This will greatly increase the interactions between the United States and Japan. Also, this means that the Japanese can travel to America much more easily, especially if they are Shogunate.

In the French colony of Saint Dominique, slaves have started a rebellion.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:34 pm »

((Don't I have an inventory too?))

Anyway,

Horokomoi thinks to himself. It was a wonderful day today, why waste it? He knew that he would do great things on a day like this.

He just knew it.

But that day would not be today. First he would have to become more known. Stricken by a sudden want of change, he strides up to the Englishmen.

"Hello, how have you men been today?  I take it you're on vacation, No?"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:39:40 pm by borno »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 10:39:53 pm »

((Don't I have an inventory too?))

Yeah, I put it in, sorry for that. You have a Royal Kimono, Sandals and a lot of Yen.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 11:17:36 pm »

Shimizu nodded. He looked at the Imperialist soldiers down there. How many were there? 100? 150? 200? His men could probably kill them easily. "OK, people" he whispered "Try to shoot the officers. If we kill them, we'll cause chaos among their ranks and that'll give us time to reload and attack again." He signalled for them to aim, taking his rifle and looking for a target. "Fire." Shoot the most decorated guy I can find.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 03:08:58 am »

After peasants finished speaking Matsuo turned with a smile on his face. Looking up into the sky he mused.

"Men who prey on the innocents are nothing but animals! They are not worth my time."

Spinning back to the dumbfounded villagers Matsuo let out an echoing laugh before clapping the youth's hard on the shoulders.

"Do not despair though young men! It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak, and it would only sullen my glorious name turn away those who need my help! Let no man ever say that Matsuo Satoshi turned down a fight!"

Matsuo picked up his Yari with a flourish pointing it in the direction of the village before shouting.

If you are men then you shall gather what people and weapons you can and lend a hand to your village's defence! If you are not then keep your distance and watch as I take all the glory!"

Action: Matsuo Begins sprinting towards the village only stopping if he comes across any of the bandits (Or anything else of particular note)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Industrial Japan! (Turn 2: New People and Places)
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 03:59:22 pm »

Chapter 1: New People and Places

Time for the action to start. I'd like to mention to everyone that a stealth attack does not result as a combat roll, (X vs. Y) Stealth attacks are purely (d6=X), and only become combat rolls when the other person is aware they are being attacked.

----------

Io shadows the farmer and his cattle. He tries his best to look inconspicuous as he walks into the marketplace. The farmer stops to talk with another man. Io pretends to browse some nearby jewelry, but he looks out of the corner of his eye to watch the farmer. The farmer and the man laugh and converse. Then, the man hands the farmer a bag, and the farmer hands him the rope for the two cattle. The farmer and the man bow and part ways. As he leaves the marketplace, Io follows.

Io keeps on following the farmer from a long distance. Every time the farmer looks around, Io blends behind a wall, barrel, or group of people. This game continues, and the farmer eventually exits the city, just like according to Io's plan. The farmer stays on a dirt path, while Io sticks to the spaced-out trees. As the trees get more and more spaced out as time goes on, Io knows he will have to move soon. And the opportunity comes: The farmer stops for a moment to look inside the bag he received earlier.

As the farmer inspects the big, Io sidles up to the side of his tree. He quickly loads an arrow into his bow, inspecting his surroundings quickly to make sure no one is coming. When he is sure of this, he knocks the arrow and aims at the farmer. The back of the neck, where the spine and the brain meet. Io fires...

(1)

Io did not know if it was a misfire, or if the Gods came after him, but the arrow embeds itself into the ground right behind the farmer. The farmer jumps, spilling a few golden Yen coins onto the ground. The farmer turns around and sees the arrow in the ground. He takes out a large knife. Io sinks back into hiding. He hears, "Who's there?! Come out, I know you're hiding!"

Spoiler: Sarawa Io (click to show/hide)

----------

Nikolae began to walk into the town, getting away from the bar and it's Französisch. He began looking around for opportunities to make money. He tested his Japanese reading abilities on various signs, finding out that the town was looking for it's usual bare-minimum temp and labor jobs. He found one man on an oxen-pulled wagon, asking for a bodyguard. "Too many Shogunate hiding in the woods, ambushing carts like mine! I'll give good pay to anyone who will protect me!" Moving on, Nikolae also finds a pamphlet on another job:

Lord Vutai looking for mercenaries.
5000 Yen for job. Equipment provided.
Vutai Palace 4km off left road from port on hill, impossible to miss.

Nikolae makes a note of this and heads to the train station. He hears the rumble of a train off in the distance. He saunters up to the ticket window. "How much is it for a ride?" The woman inside looks at him. "2000 for the Capital, 4000 for Hyritori, 6000 for Shutomo and 8000 for Tokugawa. Trains come in at dawn, dusk and mid-night." It is currently mid-day.

Spoiler: Nikolae Kriegsmacher (click to show/hide)

----------

Shimizu looks at the number of Imperialist Line Infantry. He estimates about 120 or so of them. He signals for his unit to aim. He hears the soft clatter of 60 rifles being aimed upon the rocks, pointing downwards. Shimizu sees a man with a fancier hat and suit compared to the other men. He puts him directly in his sights. "Fire."

(1)

The rifles go off, and there is a simultaneous burst of noise and light. The Imperialists scream as some are killed instantly, some wounded, and some hit in places that will promise them a swift death. Every rifle had fired, except Shimizu's. He yanks on the trigger, but it doesn't budge. His rifle is jammed. The commander of the Line Infantry starts barking orders, and soon his whole unit is running.

The Sharpshooters back off of the ledge and reload. Zubo says, "That could have gone a lot better. Now they know we're up here, and are probably going to try and flank us by coming up the mountain..."

Spoiler: Shimizu Katsuo (click to show/hide)

----------

As Horokomoi greets the Englishmen, they stand up. One offers his hand. "Dennis Canterbury sir." He shakes Horokomoi's hand, a common Western greeting. "Actually, we are not here for vacation, but rather for business duties." His Japanese is laden with a thick English accent. "We come from the Harbuckle company of the United Kingdom, and we were hoping to start shipping out mass produced artillery. Our artillery could change all of Japanese warfare. It's like naval bombardment, but you can place it wherever you pleased. However, our company would need a Japanese sponsor to invest in the first batch of Artillery Mortars, someone like a rich lord or noble. He would be a very powerful man if he did so..."

Spoiler: Horokomoi Orogami (click to show/hide)

----------

The two young men heed Matsuo's words. Should they defend their village, and risk their lives but immortalizes their honer? (+1 Charisma bonus: 6+1=7!) A shine lights up in both of their eyes. One pulls out Kama, two sharp scythes used to cut down crops. The other pulls out his Bo, a long stick. They sprint after Matsuo, back to their village.

Matsuo has already picked up his Yari and is sprinting fast to the village. His sandals smash into the ground, his armor clanging around. He feels he is being followed. He sees that behind him, the two men from before have sprinted along with him, barely behind him, and both armed with weapons. Their eyes are filled with rage and vengeance.

After a while, the three of them make to the village. Matsuo sees it is ruin, he hears screams, the sky is filled with smoke. Bandits smash windows, turn over tables and open bags. One of the young men yell, "Hey bastards, look who we have!" The nearby bandits, draw their weapons and turn around to the villager with an angry look. But their eyes turn to fear as they see Matsuo.

A large, bare-chested bald man walks into view. "Ah, the great Matsuo. What an honor. I had a feeling you would show up one day." He laughs. "Well, I certainly hope you've spent your life well, because the breakfast you had today has been your last meal." During this time, Matsuo has been able to observe him. He is not as tall as Matsuo, but he is more muscled. He is unarmed except for a firearm in a holster. "Go on my men, tear him in half!" His men don't move, frozen in place. "Come on you pussies! Whoever takes this old Samurai down becomes my second-in-command, and can have any of the village women he wants." As he says this, the bandits start to slowly advance, knives and sticks in their hands. The bandit leader laughs, "There we go." He backs up a few steps. Matsuo can see that six bandits are bearing down on him, while the two young men next to him brace their weapons.

Spoiler: Matsuo Satoshi (click to show/hide)

----------

Akira laughs at the sheer ignorance of the raiders, unknown to them, and begins to walk off. The raider gang waves him off and heads to their own personal matters.

Akira makes it to the post office. Surely enough, several Wanted posters are displayed on it's wall. The list goes:

Boto Kiawa - Theft. Brown haired, thin. 1200 Yen reward.
Shumi Luime- Livestock Theft. Long black hair, scar on left ankle. 2000 Yen reward.
Gary Carlson - Illegal Weapons Dealing. Blonde, tall, Caucasian. 3000 Yen Reward.
Captain Hotisho Tarwe - Desertion & Prison Escape. Black hair, short, walks with limp. 5000 Yen reward. 

Spoiler: Akira Hiroto (click to show/hide)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Industrial Japan! (Turn 2: New People & Places)
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 04:08:01 pm »

*ONE-LINER INCOMING* "Boto Kiawa huh? Well then Kiawa-sama, looks like I'm going to steal as well but I'm going to steal your life."
Akira laughs at his joke and asks where the thief was last seen, then heads over to the general store and to his acquaintances, hoping to be able to enlist a few.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:53:38 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Industrial Japan! (Turn 2: New People & Places)
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 04:21:27 pm »

((Do I have to spend an extra turn to find out a little more about both jobs? I would like to know where the man in the wagon is heading to and how much he is willing to pay, so I could get a free ride somewhere while getting money. On the other hand, going mercenary can be good unless they ask me to attack a city and such. Nikolae does not like to kill the innocent.))
>Yes?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12