Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Roll to Industrial Japan! (Turn 15: Resurrection!)  (Read 16008 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Industrial Japan! (Turn 15: Resurrection!)
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:21:25 pm »

So I've decided to make a game based during the Industrial Revolution & Conflict of Japan. First off, I am not trying to rip-off Spinal Tap's Feudal Japan RTD. While our games share settings, the overall styles will be quite different. I actually got the idea of this game from 'Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai.' Second, this game will focus more on GM/Player-made plot than realistic history. So if you see historical inaccuracy, (which there will be a lot of) it's done on purpose. I'd rather make a game that is fun and takes twists and turns rather than one that accurately follows history. Also, I intend to keep this RTD small. Ideally, I'd like there to be 4-5 players, 6 at the max.

With that out of the way, here is the story!

Story:

April 12th, 1890. Japan is in a state of civil war. On one side, the Shogunate want to modernize Japan, and on the other, Imperialists would like Japan to revert to it's old ways. Whether you know it or not, you will play an important role in the struggle and will forever change Japanese history. Are you a soldier, born to fight and reclaim Japan? A noble, who speaks well in office but is deadly in a duel? A peasant who sets out to make his own fortune? Perhaps you are a foriegner, who has come to Japan for your own goals?

You know who you are, but now is the time for your journey to begin....

Gameplay & Rules:

I will use the standard D6 dice roller, but this game will be based on my own decision and subjectivity rather than numbers. What I mean is that there will be less focus on numeral systems, (No HP and Exp. Bars) but instead more based on characters, situation and plot. For example, in a regular RTD, Character X attacking Enemy Y with a (6 vs. 4) result would normally result in -2 HP. However, here I take into account things like weapon, attack/defense positions, experience, health, and etc. So a (6 vs. 4) in a combat could mean anything from a kick that breaks a knee, to a gunshot to the head.

Also, instead of classic dice result rules, (1 & 2 are bad, 3-5 are good, 6 is bad) I will have this formula: The higher a number, the better a result. So 6's or above are the best results, and the numbers get smaller the result becomes more negative.

As for combat, first I will post the aggressor's attack, versus the defender's defense (X vs. Y). If X is more than Y, the attack hits. If X and Y are the same, the attacks cancel out, and there is no counter-attack. However, if Y is more than X, X misses the attack, and Y gets a counterattack. I roll again, and if Y>X, than Y hits. But if Y< or = to X, it misses.

Lastly, each number represents a different outcome. The higher a number is in a result, it will have a more dramatic effect than the same difference but with a lower result; i.e. (6 vs. 5) will be a more powerful attack than (3 vs. 2), a (5 vs. 1) has more impact than a (5 vs. 3), etc.

Attributes:

Attributes are permanent factors that modify rolls that pertain to their areas, i.e., Strength effects actions that utilize strength. Attributes can either be + or -. + Attributes have a 50% chance of adding +1 to rolls, while - Attributes add a 50% chance of -1 from effected rolls. It doesn't matter which Attributes you + or -. The main rule is that you can only have as many + Attributes as -, and vice-versa. (i.e., if you have 2 + Attributes you MUST have 2 - Attributes.)
The attributes are:

Strength: The amount of muscle that can be put into tasks. Effects actions like lifting heavy objects and melee combat.

Endurance: How long you can keep physically working. Effects things like traveling long distances and using heavy weaponry.

Agility: How quickly you can move. Effects things like sprinting, dodging and jumping.

Perception: How well you can see and aim. Effects things like looking around and using ranged weapons.

Toughness: How much physical pain you can take. Effects things like combat and disease.

Stealth: How sneaky you are. Effects being unnoticed, pickpocketing and lock picking.

Intelligence: How much raw brain power you have. Effects solving logical problems and using medicine.

Will: Mental toughness. How much mental strain you can take, and how you respond in peril.

Instinct: How fast your body can process new information. Effects counter-attacking and quick reactions.

Charisma: How well you can speak to people. Effects things like charm and intimidation.

Dexterity: How well you can work with your hands. Effects Martial Arts and grabbing objects.

Luck: How well Lady Luck treats you. Randomly effects roles.

Factions & Clans:

Japan is split into two sides: The Shogunate and the Imperialists. Simply put, the Shogunate want to modernize Japan, and bring in more technology, foreigners and trade. The Imperialists want Japan to remain an isolated country, returning to it's feudal ways. The two sides are at war, each split into four major clans, which you character will be a part of. Each clan has it's own bonuses. (Area is listed like if you looked at Japan horizontally, not like the usual vertical.)

The Shogunate - We will embrace the future!

Tokugawa: The Tokugawa clan resides in eastern Japan, and their ruler is the current emperor. It is the center of government for the Shogunate clans.
Capital - Due to being the capital of this faction, this clan is populated and guarded well. However, it attracts bandits due to the amount of wealth in major cities.
Duelists - Much of the nobility likes to settle issues with duels. As such, this clan is stocked with the finest Pistols and Swords.
Connections - Also due to being the capital of the faction, you can get a lot of power and favors if you are in, or make friends, with the higher-ups.

Hyritori: The Hyritori clan is west of the Tokugawa clan, and is adjacent to the Ruita clan. As such, this clan is the military spear-point for the Shogunate.
Military Clan - As the military clan of the faction, normal weapons are easier to get in this area.
Telephone Lines & Railroad - Telephone Lines and Railroad Tracks are plentiful in this area, making it easier to communicate and travel.
Plains - The area is covered in plains, meaning that travel is easy and crops are plentiful. If this area isn't taken that is....

Shutomo: With the soldiers in Hyritori, the industrial workers reside in Shutomo, just east of Tokugawa. The weapons and materials the Shogunate need are produced from here.
Industry - If you need metals or materials, this is the place to get them.
Heavy Weaponry - Weapons such as Cannons or Gatling Guns are easier to get here.
Sharpshooters - Sharpshooters, snipers, and other gunners focused on aim get a training bonus if they come from here.

Kotowa: Kotowa mainly holds land on the far eastern island of Japan. Because of this, they are the big port of the Shogunate.
Boats - If sea travel is your thing, head to Kotowa to get a ride.
Warship - Kotowa specializes in producing big warships: Huge hunks of steel armed to the teeth with cannons and men.
Open to the West - As a Port, Western Merchants and Mercenaries are abundant here. You will find people and products from places like Great Britain, America and Holland. This is a great place to start if you are a foriegner from the West.

The Imperialists - Restore Japan to her glory!

Kyoto: Kyoto is the capital clan of the Imperialists, which sits in Western Japan. The Imperialist government is headed here.
Capital - Due to being the capital of this faction, this clan is populated and guarded well. However, it attracts bandits due to the amount of wealth in major cities.
Duelists - Much of the nobility likes to settle issues with duels. As such, this clan is stocked with the finest Pistols and Swords.
Connections - Also due to being the capital of the faction, you can get a lot of power and favors if you are in, or make friends, with the higher-ups.

Ruita: East of Kyoto is Hyritori's powerful rival, Ruita, the military capital of the Imperialists.
Military Clan - Weapons are easier to obtain in this area.
Hidden Paths - Hidden dirt roads are in this region for quick transport, and outmaneuvering the enemy.
Mountains - This are is mountainous, making it easier to defend. Just hope the food comes in every season....

Banke: Further West of Kyoto is Banke, the big producer for the Imperialists. While it has many more farmers than Shutomo, it also has it's industrial side.
Industrial - If you want materials or resources, come to Banke.
Cavalry - Even horse-back fighting has been diminished due to firepower, the Cavalry and horses of Banke are still prestigious and deadly.
Shinobi & Samurai - Like Cavalry, both of these warriors have started to die out from modern combat. However, Banke is a haven to them, and both still have a few last pieces of glory before their end.

Mushami: Mushami controls the Western islands of Japan, and serves as the rival port to Kotowa.
Boats- Controlling a set of islands, boats are easiest to get in Mushami.
Fighters- Mushami specializing in the construction of small Fighter ships. What they lack in size and firepower, they make up for in speed and mobility. They can sneak through the dead of night and can easily transport people and soldiers. They have even been reported sneaking up on bigger ships without them noticing!
Open to the East- While the Imperialists have more isolationists views than the Shogunate, they do allow foreigners in from Asia. This means people and products from other parts of Asia are plentiful. This is a great place to start out if you are from somewhere like China, the Philippines or Korea. 

Neutral:
If neither one of the sides suits your goals, you can choose to be neutral. You still to state which Clan Area you start out in, but just also put you are neutral, i.e. Tokugawa (Neutral)

Weapons:
All characters will start out with two weapons, and in these two weapons they will be proficient. There are two types of starting weapons; Primary and Secondary. Primary is the default weapon, the one your character is most skilled with. Secondary weapons are side weapons, usually there to fill a purpose that the Primary can not. The Primary and Secondary weapons must be different.
Weapons will change based on Clan, Area and Biography. Note that these are only starting weapons: Characters can find and learn to use more.

Weapons are listed below, P means it can be only Primary, S means only secondary, PS can mean either. 

Rifle (P) - A long barreled gun that can do damage at any range. It has become the main weapon for a majority of armies in Japan.

Sword (PS) - A blade that cuts into flesh, or stabs it through.

Spear (P) - One of the oldest weapons, a long stick with a pointed metal end. Some can be thrown.

Pistol (PS) - A smaller gun than the rifle. While not as accurate or powerful than the rifle, it is easier to draw and reload, making it very useful in close quarters.

Knife (S) - A blade that acts as a smaller sword. Has a variety of uses. Knives are very different depending on whether they are traditional or western made.

Ono (S) - An axe, used for hacking and chopping. Slower, but more powerful than the knife.

Bow (P) - A traditional weapon that fires arrows and bolts at incredible speeds. Less powerful than the rifle, but in the hands of a master, it has more range, a quicker reload, and is silent. More common among Imperialists than Shogunate.

Spoiler: Example Character (click to show/hide)

Character Sheet:

Name:
Clan:
Appearance: (Brief statement on what your character looks like.)
Biography: (A short or long statement on your character's past.)
Primary Weapon:
Secondary Weapon:
Attributes: (Leave them blank except for + and - Attributes)
Strength
Endurance
Agility
Perception
Toughness
Stealth
Intelligence
Will
Instinct
Charisma
Dexterity
Luck

Playerlist:
1. agertor (Sarawa Io)
2. Caellath (Nikolae Kriegsmacher)
3. Lord Allagon (Shimizu Katsuo)
4. borno (Horokomoi Orogami)
5. Flintus10 (Matsuo Satoshi)
6. Spinal_Taper (Akira Hiroto)

Waitlist

1. mcclay
2. Tiruin
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:37:21 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
Re: Roll to Industrial Japan!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:07:26 pm »

Name: Sarawa Io (Last, First)

Clan: Ruita (Neutral)

Appearance: A man at 6'0", he is not physically muscled but lean. He is built for speed and dodging.

Biography: Io was born to the family of Sarawa. The Sarawa family never really served Ruita, but in the woods they thrived. Modern day ninjas they always fought for their own needs which could mean taking jobs for any clan, or being bandits. They did whatever was necessary to better themselves. Io grew into this family and accepted the traditions. Io knows no master now and has trained for what he needs.. Io intends to write his own destiny wherever it takes him. He simply wants a purpose.

Strength (-)
Endurance
Agility (+)
Perception
Toughness
Stealth (+)
Intelligence
Will
Instinct (+)
Charisma (-)
Dexterity
Luck (-)

Weapons: Bow (P)
Pistol (S)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:28:57 pm by agertor »
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:11:21 pm »

Oh crap. I just realized I forgot to make a Weapons section.

How embarrassing!  :o

One moment everyone...and thank you for making a character Agertor.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:12:55 pm »

All good, I will edit it when I see weapons
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:30:51 pm »

Reserved. Sheet coming soon.

Name: Nikolae Kriegsmacher
Clan: Kotowa (Neutral)
Appearance: 5'9", long blonde hair tied in a ponytail and clear blue eyes. His body is muscled and built for agility without forsaking strength. The young man usually wears leather pants, a loose white long-sleeved shirt topped by a black vest with a silver pocket watch attached to it and resilient brown leather boots. Due to his fencing classes, he took the habit of donning a chail mail under his clothing.
Biography: Inheritance? Nikolae had no need for such things, especially because his older brother would receive all of it... Anyway, hailing from the Kriegsmacher family from the Prussian area of Germany, Nikolae was given a large sum of gold and convinced to leave the country or face the consequences of a struggle for the ownership of all the family's possessions. The youngster always wanted some adventure, and the prospect of not having to worry about poison in his food and assassins hiding in his bedroom seduced him, and to Japan he went. He is almost always smiling and his intelligence shifts along different areas, causing him to appear to be rather stupid sometimes.
He had fencing classes and carries a longsword along his rifle, which always has an attached bayonet.
Primary Weapon: Rifle
Secondary Weapon: Sword
Strength +
Endurance +
Agility +
Perception
Toughness
Stealth -
Intelligence -
Will
Instinct
Charisma -
Dexterity
Luck
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:50:04 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:40:15 pm »

Reserved. Will edit in a sec.
Name: Shimizu Katsuo (Last name, first name).
Clan: Shutomo (Shogunate).
Appearance: A short, agile man, Katsuo has short dark hair and blue eyes. He stands at 5' 5'', and isn't too muscular.
Biography: Katsuo was born into the Shimizu family as their second-eldest son. He enlisted into the army as soon as he could, and trained as a sharpshooter in his natal Shutomo. He's traveled far and wide, and as a result knows some foreign languages, like Chinese and English. Now that the war between the Shogunate and the Imperialists started, he sided with the progressists, and will do nearly anything to further their goals.
Primary Weapon: Rifle.
Secondary Weapon: Knife.
Strength -
Endurance -

Agility +
Perception -
Toughness -

Stealth +
Intelligence +

Will
Instinct -

Charisma
Dexterity +

Luck +
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:33:23 pm by Lord Allagon »
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 10:56:27 pm »

((How much are you planning to depart from reality? I was thinking about either going with a shinobi or a gatling-toting mofo. So yeah, the willing to depart with reality part is because gatlings obviously need to be fired from tripods, were unwieldly and whatnot.
As a note, I know I can not start with a gatling. I wanted to obtain it.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 11:11:26 pm »

Reserved, Making sheet soon. Finished!

Name: Horokomoi Orogami
Clan: Tokugawa
Appearance: A man average in stature, Orogami has brown eyes and his hair twisted back in a bun.
Biography: Orogami was born into a long line of Imperialists, but he decided that Japan needed a change. Since then he has lived in the capital as a  noble, but he still has some imperial traditions.
Primary Weapon: Sword
Secondary Weapon: Pistol
Attributes:
Strength
Endurance -
Agility
Perception -
Toughness -
Stealth -
Intelligence +
Will +
Instinct
Charisma +
Dexterity
Luck +
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:38:36 pm by borno »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 11:16:55 pm »

Edit: Too many similar characters

Name: Matsuo Satoshi
Clan: Banke
Appearance: A Giant of a man with a muscular body honed through years of training and small conflicts. Despite taking part in a  number of duels and minor battles Satoshi remains unscarred. He wears his hair extremely long giving rise to a local myth that he will only shave it when he is defeated in battle
Biography: A legend among his people Satoshi's boisterous and warrior like nature have seen him become a popular figure among the Imperialist small-folk and samurai alike. He has a great love of battle and prefers to fight with traditional methods, though he does not look down on the men who have adapted to more modern ways. Satoshi is not well liked by a number of the higher ranked imperial officals due to his brashness but his fighting ability is well respected, meaning that while he may never have a command of his own he is still a potent weapon when simply pointed towards the enemy.

While Satoshi would prefer Japan to remain true to its traditional ways he does not disrespect the Shogunate and sees them as a worthy opponent who have presented him with the opportunity of a life-time to prove himself.

Primary Weapon: Spear
Attributes:
Strength +
Endurance +

Agility
Perception -
Toughness +
Stealth -
Intelligence -
Will
Instict
Charisma +
Dexterity
Luck
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:09:34 am by Flintus10 »

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 02:46:58 am »

Here he is. He is a bastard.

Name: Akira Hiroto
Clan: Shutomo (Neutral)

Appearance: He appears well educated, with a runners body and short hair.

Biography: Hiroto was the son of a minor lord, he looked the part but certainly didn't feel that way. His lessons bored him and people held no more interest than animals to him. However, like animals he enjoyed torturing them as well. Eventually, his dark experiments were discovered and he was locked up. Being the son of a lord however, he got a light sentence. However, while imprisoned he killed his cellmate and was going to be executed when a shogunate raid showed up, and Hiroto offered his services to the leader of the raid. He was taken to the Shutomo, and a new chapter in his saga begun.

Primary Weapon: Rifle

Attributes:
Strength
Endurance
Agility
Perception
Toughness
Stealth
Intelligence
Will
Instict
Charisma
Dexterity
Luck
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:47:53 pm by Spinal_Taper »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 06:57:27 am »

((How much are you planning to depart from reality? I was thinking about either going with a shinobi or a gatling-toting mofo. So yeah, the willing to depart with reality part is because gatlings obviously need to be fired from tripods, were unwieldly and whatnot.
As a note, I know I can not start with a gatling. I wanted to obtain it.))

It's more a historical departure. Most of the clans are fictional, and so will most of the weapons. That said, they will still have the same properties as real life weapons, so you will need a tripod for a gatling gun, unless your character is huge. To wield a gatling gun, your character needs at least a + in Strength and Endurance.

Sheet incoming. I hope a psychopath is an acceptable character. (medical psychopath, not media)

That's totally allowed. As long as it isn't a disease that makes them think they're a carrot and have to stick they're head in the ground. But emotional and mental disorders that effect logic and thinking are fine.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:03:47 am »

My character is only 5'9" but he does have both bonuses. Do I keep my plans or give up on them?
Nevermind, I already grew attached to my character ç.ç  I'll stick to him even if the gatling plan is shot down.
Edit: Ok, post edited for the sheet. I'll change his attributes if the heavy weapons idea is dropped. Oh, shot down, lol. That was unintentional.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:47:18 am by Caellath »
>Yes?

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 02:53:12 pm »

The game will begin shortly.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 03:02:09 pm »

The game will begin shortly.
Have I ever mentioned how much I love you?
>Yes?

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 10:53:37 pm »

Is the 6th slot still open? If so reserve it or something for me.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12