Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Roll to Industrial Japan! (Turn 15: Resurrection!)  (Read 16011 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Industrial Japan! (Turn 2: New People & Places)
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 04:35:43 pm »

((Do I have to spend an extra turn to find out a little more about both jobs? I would like to know where the man in the wagon is heading to and how much he is willing to pay, so I could get a free ride somewhere while getting money. On the other hand, going mercenary can be good unless they ask me to attack a city and such. Nikolae does not like to kill the innocent.))
Usually you do. (Caellath does)

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2012, 04:38:03 pm »

For not the last time today, Horokomoi thought through his possible actions. This was a possible breakthrough, a breakthrough Japan so desperately needed. And he had approached them, so they must have good intentions...

He chuckled.

"If I may, could I take a look at your products before going into anything hasty?"

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 04:41:45 pm »

Remaining silent, Io loads another arrow and readies himself, a knife. Io plans to stay up in the tree away from him, better to be safe. Io goes to take another shot, silent, not wanting him to know where he was, another silent shot was aimed for his torso. If he hit, he would grab his pistol and make his way down the tree to speak with him and quickly apologize, assuming he took a bad shot and was still alive. Io would shoot him in the head to quickly finish him so as to put him out of his misery. However if he missed the pistol would make for a good counter attack should the farmer attempt to run towards him while he is up a tree. Hopefully Io would get a good shot this time and not have to prepare for a counter. Io was intending on walking away with some money, and perhaps some goods the farmer did not sell.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:49:38 pm by agertor »
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 05:31:52 pm »

((Do I have to spend an extra turn to find out a little more about both jobs? I would like to know where the man in the wagon is heading to and how much he is willing to pay, so I could get a free ride somewhere while getting money. On the other hand, going mercenary can be good unless they ask me to attack a city and such. Nikolae does not like to kill the innocent.))

No, in one turn you can find out more about both jobs. That keeps the pace flowing and removes needless turns, i.e. "Let me look at that job...I don't like it, I want to see the other one...I don't like that either, show me a new one...no, I don't like that one, etc.", and I don't want that taking up three turns.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 05:37:14 pm »

Shimizu cursed. Not only had he failed to kill anyone, but his rifle had jammed in front of every man in his unit! Well, at least they had inflicted some damage on the Imperialists. "Keep firing, as fast as you can." he said, and tried to unjam his rifle. If he was successful, keep shooting, focusing on stopping the enemy soldiers rather than killing them. If not, look for cover near our position and calculate the Imperialists' losses.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 06:02:34 pm »

Nikolae sighed. Ouch, those prices.

He was particularly interested in the bodyguard job, since if the man happened to be going anywhere near Shutomo, it would be a good chance for him to earn some yen while saving gold with the same strike.

The mercenary job offer was attractive too, since they would provide equipment, and he could always do with more ammunition and random trinkets, although he was afraid the Lord could be planning something that would go against his sense of honor. If they were sent to raid a city and kill everyone there, Nikolae would end up rebelling and getting shot at the spot (after at least cutting a bloody path to the allied troops' commanders while laughing maniacally and severely creeping the hell out of everyone).

He decided standing around thoughtfully would not do him any good and left to gather more information about both jobs. Maybe about an extra one, if the time available was enough.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2012, 07:34:38 pm »

Matsuo points his spear towards the bandit leader.

"Ha ha ha! Claiming you are my equal and then sending this trash to do your fighting for you?! If a coward like you is the leader of this rabble then this should be no trouble at all!"

He then turns his head slightly to the two young peasants

"You two have the honor of guarding Matsuo Satoshi's flanks. Do not be afraid of these cowards your biggest worry is staying out of my way!

Matsuo looks up at the six approaching bandits.

"I have slain far greater man than any of you and in greater numbers! If you wish to flee and reconsider your life then be gone, and stop wasting my time! If you are brave enough to face me then step forwards and be the first to die! Those are your choices and now the talking is over!

Matsuo flourishes his spear and prepares to kill the first man who steps forwards.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2012, 09:01:34 pm »

Chapter 3: Commerce and Bandits

----------

Io sees the farmer acting paranoid, throwing yells and jeers into his direction. "Come out here you coward!" He yells this, swinging his knife around. He isn't very smart, as he stands in one place while a skilled archer attacks him. Io silently knocked another arrow into place. He reoriented his target, now focusing on the man's left chest, directly at his heart. He pulled tension into the bow, closing one eye to increase precision. And then, he let the arrow loose.

(2 vs. 4)

What was with his accuracy today? This arrow comes close to hitting the man, but only grazes his shirt. The man roars and charges into the tree where Io hides. The farmer looks up. "Aha! I see you now, and I'm going to catch you and slit your throat!" He sheaths his knife and hoists himself on the tree trunk, and starts scaling it. Io buries his face into his palm for a moment, as he can not believe he is witnessing such ignorance.

Taking this opportunity to finish the job, Io removes his pistol. The farmer grunts as he gets higher and higher into the tree. Io aims his pistol, a clean shot into the skull, down through the man's body. A guaranteed fatality. He waited until the farmer was just at the right elevation. And then cocked the pistol. The farmer looked up and stated, "Huh? What are you holding?"

(5 vs. 6)

The bullet flies straight at the man, misses his skull, and would go into his torso or hip..but it ricochets.Off.His.Fucking.Knife. The farmer gasps as he is hit, almost losing his balance. "Aaaahhh! How could you shoot me! I will destroy you!" He resumes climbing, getting very close to Io's branch. Io seriously considers ripping out this man's intestines and then strangling him with them.

Spoiler: Sarawa Io (click to show/hide)

----------

Nikolae sees that the train prices would eat up what money he had brought here. He says to the ticket-master, "Hmm, that's a bit expensive. I'll come back later." With that, he departs. He decides to go back to check the different areas of employment he found before.

Nikolae founds the ox-driver who was searching for a bodyguard before. "What are the details of this job?" Nikolae asks the man. The driver responds, "I want to get back to my home village in Shutomo. But alas! Highwaymen armed with swords and guns travel the road, and hidden Imperialists hide in the woods, ready to ambush anyone." ((Last turn I made a mistake, I said he was scared of the Shogunate, not the Imperialists. Sorry.)) "It will be a 2-full-day journey. I'll pay you 4200, that's all I have...actually, I'll throw in a weeks worth of food too." Nikolae takes in the information, stroking his chin. "Well, I'll consider it." The two men wave off, the driver saying "Please do consider!"

Nikolae looks around if there are any other jobs. While not really a job, he finds a task that pays outside a Fur Trading building. The paper says,

Valuable Animals from Forest Wanted. We will pay good for full corpse. Payments:

Red Fox (3000 Yen)
Silk Deer (5000 Yen)
Black Bear (8500 Yen)

Spoiler: Nikolae Kriegsmacher (click to show/hide)

----------

Zubo received his command. "Yes Shimizu-San." He barks out to the unit, "Keep firing!" The soldiers go back to pointing their rifles over the rock edge, shooting more into the Line Infantry. Shimizu worked on unjamming his rifle. (2) He grits his teeth and tries wriggling the trigger, but it seems to be stuck very well. He sighs and works his way a bit away from his unit.

He peaks his head over the rock wall, hidden from the Infantry. There are many bodies on the ground, and more crying out in pain. Shimizu estimates 1/3 of all troops received causalities. Still, that leaves about 80 Line Infantry left. His unit might be better shots, but the Line Infantry could be a serious threat if they come within sword-range.

Spoiler: Shimizu Katsuo (click to show/hide)

----------

"Certainly!" Canterbury turns to his colleagues. "Does anyone have a company pamphlet?" The men ruffle through their briefcases, until one carries it out. He hands it over to Horokomoi. Horokomoi opens it:

He sees a picture of a man standing on a naval ship, peering out into the distance, and the ship holds a giant British flag. The title says in Japanese: Harbuckle: Modernizing the World, One Piece of Metal at a Time! He opens the pamphlet up. The first page is a statement that the company delivers the highest quality British made industrial machines to anywhere around the world. The rest of the pamphlet displays all sorts of interesting objects. There is the 'Mechanical Washing Machine', a mechanized machine which would rotate clothes in water over a fire, claiming to wash them automatically. The 'Motorcar' is a carriage like machine that is fueled by steam or gasoline. Finally, there are pages filled with weapons, including Mortars. The pamphlet claims Mortars can shoot explosives shells across an entire field, and can destroy an entire military unit.

The Mortars are priced at 20 million Yen for a unit of 4. The Orogami household has 300 million Yen, with about 80 million more in assets.

Spoiler: Horokomoi Orogami (click to show/hide)

----------

The leader smirks back. "Hah! I am only seeing if the so called great Satoshi is really a Samurai, or just a made-up folks tale!"

As he says this, the bandits continue to close in at Matsuo. Matsuo, grips his spear in preparation. One of the knife-wielding bandits lunges forward, and Matsuo takes this opportunity to attack. (3 vs. 5) Matsuo miscalculates and his thrust goes past the bandit! The bandit slices his knife at Matsuo, (2 vs. 5) but Matsuo expertly blocks the attack with the shaft of his Spear.

The farmer with the Kama sneaks up on the knife-wielding bandit's side and goes for a sneak attack. (6 vs. 1) He buries one Kama into the bandit's ribs, and a scream of pain ensues. As the bandit buckles, the farmer brings the other Kama onto the bandit's head, silencing him. The other farmer attacks a bandit, and swings his Bo into the bandit's head, sending him rolling away unconscious.

With two bandits down, the remaining ones start to lose morale. Their leader laughs. "Ha ha! Matsuo, it looks you've been outskilled by two peasants!"

Spoiler: Matsuo Satoshi (click to show/hide)

----------

Akira goes into the Post Office. "I'm going after Boto Kiawa. Where was he last scene?" The man at the front says, "Oh, Boto the thief? Well, I last heard of him in Kyule just up the road. Be careful, he's a cunning one."

Akira heads off to the general store. He spends 500 Yen getting supplies for the journey, with 2500 Yen left over. ((Sorry for doing this automatically, but I thought you would buy this stuff anyways.)) He sees they sell things like Tinderboxes, Venom Antidote and Cigarettes, and he makes a note of this.

Akira heads over to the bar last, to pick up some of his old acquaintances. He walks into the smoky air, and he hears them having a good time. Smiling, he walks over to them and announces, "I'm going on a bounty after a thief named Boto Kiawa. Does anyone want to come along?" (3) They all decline, except one guy. He wears peasant guards, is averagely built, and wields a Tanto, a knife that is like the smaller version of a Katana. "If you're willing to split, I'll come along."

Spoiler: Akira Hiroto (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:03:52 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Industrial Japan! (Turn 3: Commerce & Bandits)
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2012, 09:13:16 pm »

Akira heads back to the store, and purchases a tinderbox and 3-5 antidotes (I want to have around 1000 yen left). While I get my supplies, check what the antidotes are made of, and attempts to find out what it's made of, and any other uses it has.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2012, 09:14:38 pm »

Shimizu tried unjamming the rifle again. If he is successful, fire as fast as he can. If not, try to find a big rock or something to throw down at them.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 09:19:10 pm »

Nikolae considered his options.

He was never a man for hunting, the Lord could put him into serious trouble although the promise of equipment and yen was tempting... But at least the ox-driver was heading to Shutomo and promised quite a lot. Well, he would take the job.

Not only he would be doing good, he would also earn money by doing good, and so he set off to talk to the man.
"I accept to guard you during your travel, with my life if need be. But if the amount of money you are willing to part with is too large a sum and it will be a deep stab in your finances, we shall cut a better deal after we get to Shutomo. Danke."
He said and bowed deeply to the man.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 09:19:59 pm »

I feel as if... you might hate Io...

Io watches as if the world loved this farmer, or hated him. The pistol was aimed once more and he went to shoot him once more, it was a straight fucking shot and it should go through him. There was almost no way he could miss, the bullet could of at least shattered his knife, what the hell is happening. Io silently prays to the local god for this farmer's death and his own well-being. If the man really got close, Io would have to use the little time given to him and move along the branch a little to buy a bit more time, then with his hand, he grabbed an arrow, and using it as a dagger went to stab the man's hand that he first grabbed Io's branch with to try and make him fall.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2012, 09:22:01 pm »

((That farmer is a BADASS. Seriously, you should give up on killing him and then ask him to be your ally. You would win every battle with him by your side.))
>Yes?

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2012, 09:25:56 pm »

Akira heads back to the store, and purchases a tinderbox and 3-5 antidotes (I want to have around 1000 yen left). While I get my supplies, check what the antidotes are made of, and attempts to find out what it's made of, and any other uses it has.

What does he say to the guy who offered to join if he got payed. Does Akira accept or decline?

I feel as if... you might hate Io...

Honestly, if it was up to me and not the dice roller, Io would have shoot him directly in the spine two turns ago. But the RNG is in control, not me.

On the bright side, I looked at your post, and now I figured out how to do make a line instead separating everything using hyphens like ---------.

Let me see if I got it:

Wobbly woobly

Woobly wobbly

My reaction to finally figuring this out.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2012, 09:27:08 pm »

((That farmer is a BADASS. Seriously, you should give up on killing him and then ask him to be your ally. You would win every battle with him by your side.))
((Yes, because he might be a weak, dumb person, but he has the craziest luck in the world, also I am glad I can help on the line thing, you owe Io a +10 this turn.))
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12