Stalker
- 38 (19.2%)
Kobold
- 73 (36.9%)
Guardian
- 19 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54

Author Topic: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.  (Read 193098 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2012, 10:45:14 pm »

Currently conducting !!SCIENCE!! to find if other weapons are placed.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 16, 2012, 12:24:42 am »

Yeah, you probably can get there through the caverns, I've just never had good luck with 'em.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2012, 01:13:37 am »

Clown tent zombies are as strong as husks, apparently. Be careful Deebus...
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2012, 04:17:00 pm »

In any case, that won't be for a while yet.

Day 6 2nd Galena, 200

Deebus set out in the dawn, when most of the others still slept. He had only one target for now, and this troglodyte was back around the other side of the mountains. Such a trip for only one kill. Now he was resolved to go once more through the mountains themselves, hoping to discover more foes on his own. He crossed the river as the sky began to go from red to blue, going south through the swamps and deeper into the great basin surrounded by the dread mountains. About a mile from the southernmost edge of the basin, or the northern feet of the mountains, he already came across another lair.

Deebus ate his morning meal before sneaking inside. The sandy burrow became a rocky tunnel further inside, and was very large. A very big creature could fit where the ceiling was as high as this. It was then that he saw the eggs. Huge, round and white.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Something very bad was in here. He readied his bow, knowing that it was his only hope against large creatures, and looked around. The antechamber seemed empty, though, aside from the eggs and some kobold clothes, but there was a long, dark passage leading out the south of the chamber.
In the middle of the passage slept the great cave dragoness, Ilavile. Deebus knew her from her size, said to be large even for a dragon. Ilavile was an ancient terror, having caused much destruction long ago, but who was long dormant and nearly forgotten. Now Deebus knew why, for she was raising a brood of dragonlings to unleash upon the world. He could not let this happen. Deebus looked into the eyes of the beast through her translucent lids, and prepared himself.

Deebus loosed an arrow, but the shot went far astray and sailed over the neck of the sleeping dragon.
The great, glowing green eye flew open, a huge eye to pierce the darkness. It could not pierce Deebus, however. Deebus fired two more arrows, one striking Ilavile in her left flank, but in a feat of awe inspiring terror Ilavile swung her entire body out of the way of the next arrow. Deebus could not seem to hit her, she moved so fast! She could not tell where her assailant was, as he kept moving around in the deepest shadow, but none of his arrows would land in her. Eventually he pegged her in the other flank, but this did not seem to slow her down. The next two shots were dodged with ease. Deebus got an idea, then. He crept back further from the dragon, where she could not hear the quiet sound of his bowstring, and loosed another arrow. This one burried itself in her right rear leg, though again it only seemed to aggravate her. He fired two more, biting into her belly and wing.

Ilavile roared, shaking the whole cave. She was sure that whatever maggot dared to challenge her would be paralyzed with terror by this. Instead, though, she found an arrow suddenly in her tounge. Deebus cursed. A little lower and it would have been in her throat. Two more shots, one in the spine and another in the rear foot, though it only seemed to enrage her even more. Ilavile whipped around, looking for her tormentor. Whatever it was, she would crush it! Though it would suffer first.

Deebus continued to peg her with arrows. He would keep firing until something gave! At long last, 3 shots later, Ilavile roared sharply and fell over. The arrow had lodged itself firmly in the nerves of the ankle. The second she hit the ground, Deebus lept into the air to avoid being knocked over by the trembling it caused, landing on the dragon's head. He stabbed the spear deep into each of the giant, horrible eyes, blood spurting everywhere as he did. Next he lept onto the upturned chest, plunging his spear in again and again until it lodged in the lungs. Ilavile shuddered mightily then, knocking Deebus off of her. He landed skillfully, rolling back onto his feet. Ilavile gasped. With a wheeze and a sigh, she spat a torrent of blood from her mouth and was still.

Deebus crawled back up onto her torso. He retrieved his spear and began to carve into her chest. After hacking off several chunks of bone and organ, he found the heart, still twitching slightly, pumping pointlessly and weakly, not knowing it was already dead. Deebus tore it out, and devoured it. Now he would have some of the wisdom of a creature that had lived since time began.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:25:08 pm by HugoLuman »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2012, 04:23:09 pm »

TAKE THE EGGS.

TAKE THE GODDAMN EGGS!

And also, Deebus. Oh Deebus, your gonna die soon. Armok is not gonna get much more joy out of your journeys.

inb4cavetribeattacksthecave
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2012, 05:10:43 pm »

The quiver felt light. He had used many of his arrows in the battle, and upon removing the other arrows from Ilavile's body and counting, he found there were only 36 left. Taking the iron blade from his pack and several ribs from the dragon, he fashioned 25 more, and stowed them. They could be fletched later. He took some meat from the corpse as well, around 10 chunks. He would not need anymore meat for a while.

Deebus looked around the lair, finding no treasure except for the 2 eggs. They were about the size of his head, and very hard of shell. He considered destroying them, but was unsure. Without their mother they probably would not hatch, and they would be a magnificent prize to bring back home. With that thought, he bagged them and continued on his way.

The sun was still low in the eastern sky when he came to the mountains. As usual, the rancorous, bright red mucus slopped occasionally down the accursed slopes. He would have to slog through it for many leagues. Upwards and upwards he climbed, finding only flocks of keas land-bound by the thick slime on the slopes. The mountains kept going higher, until eventually the grass just ended. Here in the steepest slopes, there was nothing living to be seen. Nothing but bare, bleak sandstone and pools of the crimson mucus. After many miles he came to a high plateau, from which the peaks rose and seemed mere hills. Here he occasionally passed a few mountain goats or a lone hoary marmot. What really was so terrible about these mountains that his people feared to tread here? It was bleak, true, but aside from the horrid mucus there seemed to be no threats.

After a while the brown sandstone began to give way to dark basalt. The mountains went down sharply headed into a deep river valley. This he skirted around, as an evil river did indeed sound extremely dangerous. The land rose up sharply again into gabbro. Here all was white, blanketed deeply in snow, which wiped off some of the mucus as he trudged through it. When the sun was approaching it's zenith the land came down again and became sparsely green. Soon he would be out of the mountains.

At long last he came into a swamp, and from here he went southwest. It was as described, a league from the green hills into that barren clay land of strange plants. A tunnel into the side of a slope. Ecate the troglodyte within. The sandy hole ran deep into the hill, with his quarry at the very back. Ecate was a very broad troglodyte, though not fat; he was a muscled brute known in the Southern tribes. His strength did not preserve him from the spear, though.

Ecate found his guts suddenly burning with pain, and his chest opened. Deebus stood up and looked down upon Ecate. The spear flashed like lightning through the legs of his victim, hamstringing him. Deebus raised his spear for the final blow, but then decided that just once he would show some mercy. Ecate would at least know the face of his enemy before he died. Deebus waited for him to regain enough strength to raise his head. The troglodyte looked up after a while, and saw a grim figure, wrapped in bloody hides and furs with a horse-skull obscuring it's face. The figure was small, tiny, but looked much bigger from the ground. The figure raised a long stick with a gleaming tooth at the end. This was the last thing Ecate saw.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 18, 2012, 09:50:26 am »

PTW
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:33 am »

'Now you shall know why you fear kobolds.'
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 18, 2012, 03:15:23 pm »

I'll be scared if Deebus finds a adamanite spear.

I vote if you get down there, and its a adamanite sword, use a reaction to make it into a spear.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 18, 2012, 05:35:29 pm »

I'll be scared if Deebus finds a adamanite spear.

I vote if you get down there, and its a adamanite sword, use a reaction to make it into a spear.
Makes sense; why not tie a shortsword to the end of a stick?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 18, 2012, 06:30:55 pm »

Corai is actually correct in that it is only swords. Always has been, since 31.01 was released and the "clown car" existed. (the old HFS was even more of a clown car. Very tiny space.) The distinguishing tags in the raws that make any old weapon a sword-type weapon is the skill it uses for attacks. Swords use the sword skill, obviously.

[SKILL:SWORD]

The other tags define the physical properties of the weapon, it's name in-game, and the attacks that are possible with the weapon. These attacks are not unique to weapon type, so all weapons are effectively identical except by the skill necessary to use them effectively, the sizes of creature that can wield them and in what manner, and the form and degree of damage they actually deal. We just call them "swords" and "hammers" and give their attacks appropriate adjectives to maintain the illusion that we're not just hitting a bunch of 1's and 0's with another bunch of 1's and 0's.

I wouldn't be suprised if Toady changed it without mentioning it in the devlogs or file changes, as it has happened before, but I do doubt he'd bother considering everything else he's been doing lately.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 19, 2012, 02:41:33 am »

Corai is actually correct in that it is only swords. Always has been, since 31.01 was released and the "clown car" existed. (the old HFS was even more of a clown car. Very tiny space.) The distinguishing tags in the raws that make any old weapon a sword-type weapon is the skill it uses for attacks. Swords use the sword skill, obviously.

[SKILL:SWORD]

The other tags define the physical properties of the weapon, it's name in-game, and the attacks that are possible with the weapon. These attacks are not unique to weapon type, so all weapons are effectively identical except by the skill necessary to use them effectively, the sizes of creature that can wield them and in what manner, and the form and degree of damage they actually deal. We just call them "swords" and "hammers" and give their attacks appropriate adjectives to maintain the illusion that we're not just hitting a bunch of 1's and 0's with another bunch of 1's and 0's.

I wouldn't be suprised if Toady changed it without mentioning it in the devlogs or file changes, as it has happened before, but I do doubt he'd bother considering everything else he's been doing lately.

Wait, that means the upright weapon can be a bow? That uses sword skill for melee. And with candy, that attack could even be useful for once  ;D
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 19, 2012, 02:44:50 am »

Not if it's blunt...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 19, 2012, 03:07:59 am »

Oh, right, bows do use sword skill in melee. lol.

But nobody has ever reported a bow before. Or a blowgun, for that matter. Maybe the [RANGED:x:y] tag and/or SHOOT_FORCE/SHOOT_MAXVEL tags are taken into account and exclude a weapon from being considered a sword for the purposes of the clown car. I've used mods with new weapons and it distinguished between new ranged weapons and swords properly, and those tags control how a ranged weapon functions, so I'd guess that's the case.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 19, 2012, 01:32:36 pm »

I think I found a bow once. And a scourge. Must have been a freak accident. Can't tell, though, there isn't enough data. No one's done a serious scientific study of it before. I do have one in progress, but that's in another thread.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54