Stalker
- 38 (19.2%)
Kobold
- 73 (36.9%)
Guardian
- 19 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 54

Author Topic: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.  (Read 193097 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2012, 03:52:44 pm »

Deebus took all the notable loot, knowing that it would be greatly appreciated when he got home. With his business done there, he left and continued southwards across the snow expanse to the lair of his original target; Meplul. When the sun was still low in the eastern sky he arrived.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He descended into the cold hole in the ground where he found his prey. He assumed it would be another quick victory, but when he tried to stab the troglodyte it jumped out of the way. Meplul turned around, baring his teeth, but the creature he heard behind him was nowhere to be seen. Suddenly he found himself on the ground, an arrow in his hip. Deebus burst from ambush at that moment to knock his foe unconscious with a bow-bash to the face. This was followed by a quick stab to the head, and so died Meplul.
The lair seemed large enough for several creatures, but looking around he found that Meplul had been lonely and cold in a large burrow. Perhaps the creature was seeking a mate before his death? Who could tell of the minds of monsters...

The next nearest target was another troglodyte Strox. Over hours, he came through more hills, a small plain, and then crossed the river into a strange forest. It was of cedar trees mainly, and pines, but also of a strange tree, like a giant grass or tube. Was this the plant that the southern tribe called bamboo? Here he stopped to eat the last of his horse meat, before continuing on to the deep snowy valley in the cusp of the mountains where the cave was. In the noonlight he entered the sandy burrow. At the end of a very long tunnel sat the beast. An arrow and quick stabs to the head later, another name off the list, and another step on the journey began.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:14:12 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 10, 2012, 12:35:18 pm »

It's scary how efficient that little guy is.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 10, 2012, 02:01:59 pm »

Wondering if I should just gloss over further troglodyte battles until I go back and get more missions from the Elders, to avoid repetitiveness.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 10, 2012, 02:16:10 pm »

Troglyates are to easy. Stop putting Deebus to shame.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 10, 2012, 04:17:23 pm »

I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to hunt down every last stinking troglodyte on this island, then I will execute all historical figure monsters for their crimes against kobold kind, and finally I will take on the Bronze King himself. Then maybe I'll open the HFS.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 10, 2012, 06:00:39 pm »

Get companions, as many as you can. Every single kobold you can, and attack Mezbith. Use a posse'.
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 10, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »

Get companions, as many as you can. Every single kobold you can, and attack Mezbith. Use a posse'.

Tried that the first time I went to the home cave, no military units in a kobold civ. Everyone else says "unfit to brave danger with you." Plus, they'd just be squashed by Murime and are totally inexperienced with stealth. You know how companions are.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 10, 2012, 06:05:44 pm »

Use peasants, they tend to join. And hunters.

But its not as dramatic without a posse, its more symbolic when the kobolds come together to fight.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 10, 2012, 10:50:32 pm »

They won't join, anyway. They all just say "unfit to brave dangers with you." Even the hunters. Perhaps one day Deebus will encounter an underground tribe? Those are usually willing to join.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 10, 2012, 11:11:50 pm »

Underground tribes should be 100% recruitable, since they consist entirely of military professions (blowgunners and spearmen) and never include historical figures with kills.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 11, 2012, 12:36:45 am »

This entire island reminds me of Skyrim. Everywhere is at least "cold" including the swamps!

The next target was another troglodyte, by the name of Alveror. This journey would take him further west than he'd gone so far, but he would be able to circle around northwards to eliminate his remaining targets and return home. Then he could leave the treasure with his people, and hopefully find more wicked creatures to be cleansed.

By the early afternoon he'd left the snow valley and come to the strange forest of evergreens and bamboo. Through this he came into soggy, rolling hills with bogs in the valleys and fog in the air. These passed quickly into drier hills just south of that fateful tundra. After going west through these for a while, with the sun beginning to lower in the western sky, he saw something very strange. Birds. Or at least, they looked like birds. They had heads like birds, and feathers too. Two legs. But they were much too huge; bigger than a mountain lion! And they seemed to have no wings, only giant legs. Deebus crept away to fill his belly in peace, as these creatures seemed sinister. Few things that big were good for kobolds, especially not if they seemed nervous like horses.
Not much further, Deebus came into a strange, barren land. There were no plants, no animals to be seen. Only cold, bare gabbro stone and blowing orange fire clay dust. As he travelled further west, eventually strange, sparse plants appeared, little bulby things covered in sharp hairs. Enormous, towering green things with many arms stood motionless in the frigid winds, their skin covered in little thorns. It was truly an alien land, though come to think of it some of these things sounded like more stories from the southern caves. Those birds must have been Ostriches, though he knew not the names of these plants.
The afternoon wore on and evening fast approached. The thought of spending the night in this place filled him with dread, as there was almost nowhere to hide. There did not seem to be anything to hide from, but nevertheless it was told that evil spirits could prey on the unfortunate anywhere under the moon. When the sun was low in the western sky, though, he crossed a river of ice that cut through the parched stone, and soon after came upon tundra land. This was just as exposed, but more familiar to him and snow made for good concealment if one knew how.

The tundra only calmed his mind for so long, though. Soon he came to the edge of it, and there was a long way yet in this direction to travel. So it was that back into the barren land he went, this time not seeing any plants whatsoever. At long last, at the western edge of the rocky land and the eastern edge of a snow plain, he at last found the hole. Crawling it he found it very strange. The floor was hard clay but the walls were thick ice. Alveror was a tall female specimen, narrow and large of forehead. She was known in the southern tribes for being particularly savage with her victims, though Deebus did not fear her.
He pierced her lung with the silver spear from behind. She whipped around, though, not giving him a good angle to finish her with a stab to the head, so instead he clubbed her with his shield. After many attempts to stab her head, getting knocked over from her flailing at the unseen terror, and getting back up again, he drove the spear into her belly. With the pain too much Alveror passed out and never woke again. Deebus withdrew the spear from the troglodyte's head. Now he could rest here, and not out in the desert.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 11, 2012, 12:40:46 am »

Deebus, you're so badass. I wish the thieves were like you.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2012, 01:17:47 am »

Oh dear Armok. Posting to watch!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2012, 01:40:48 am »

You're pretty good at describing things in a way that would make sense to an entirely uneducated and previously-untraveled kobold, and avoiding giving the narratives and readers omniscience compared to the characters.
I make Spellcrafts!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2012, 02:59:44 am »

Deebus retreated into the deepest reaches of the icy hole where it was warmest and lit a fire. Some of the ice on the wall collapsed and water began to drip from the ceiling. Evidently this ice was not safe for that. Instead he wrapped his cloaks tightly around him and curled up near the corpse. Hopefully it would stop the cold for a while.

Deebus awoke to the strange sight of dawn light reflecting through the hole and around the ice. He ate some cold horse meat, drank some of the still liquid water around the fire. Then he set out northwards. There should be two targets some leagues that way, though he would have to find his own way to them. The information on the ones out this far came from the stories of other tribes. He headed north, passing briefly through some green hills and once more into the great frozen expanse of the heartlands. Tundra and glacier went by intermittently, and as he knew well how to tread lightly and quickly now he encountered no trouble on the journey. After hours of snowy expanse, though still early in the morning, a forest came into view. The hole of Rimad the troglodyte lay at it's edge.
He descended into the burrow, finding his quarry near the entrance, and stabbed her through the stomach from behind. Deebus pulled his spear loose and prepared for the killing blow, but Rimad stumbled forward. He lunged, sticking first her arm and then her back in quick succession. When this failed he jammed the spear through the left foot, nailing her to the floor. Destroying the other foot with his next blow, Rimad at last succumbed to pain and was silenced forever with a blow to the head.

Deebus took his meal of a horse kidney in the burrow named the Shadow of Insects before setting off to the west and north where he believed the next target must lie. He came deep into the heartlands now, within sight of the legendary mountain of fire at the center of the World.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He was somewhat apprehensive. Inside the cold, silt cave lay the white bear Ceta Coruabama. He was a beast older than most kobolds, and though aged for a bear he was still strong and deadly. He had quite the appetite for kobolds, earning him his infamy. Deebus had killed polar bears before, but those had been lucky shots. This time he hoped the principal wouldn't be too different, as if so he was out of ideas.
Crawling into the hole and going deep in, where the walls became icy, Ceta slept. The bear was skinny and worn at first glance, but at second he proved to be lean; all superfluous flesh had been worn away by time and malice. He was gigantic, mean, and hungry-looking.

Deebus readied his bow and loosed an arrow, burying it deep in Ceta's left rear leg. The surely agonizing injury only seemed to wake up and enrage the beast. Deebus loosed another arrow into the other leg, flooring Ceta. Ceta fell unconscious. Deebus moved in for the kill, gratefull not to face the wakeful bear up close. Though he wan unseen, such a huge enemy would surely smash him merely by moving about or lashing out. He was also too large to impale through the head, however, and came to just as Deebus gouged out his eyes. Despite striking randomly with a force that surely would have harmed Deebus grievously, Ceta missed and passed out once more. To ensure that Ceta did not wake again, Deebus placed his hands around the bear's throat and squeezed with all his might, keeping his foe under until he bled out.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:19:31 pm by HugoLuman »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 54