Stalker
- 38 (19.2%)
Kobold
- 73 (36.9%)
Guardian
- 19 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54

Author Topic: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.  (Read 192975 times)

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
Re: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2012, 10:17:58 pm »

OOC: By the way, I'm roleplayi g the equivilent of a teenager

"What? The sight of a kobold being torn apart, staying conscious long enough to see the elves eating it's own flesh, or something far more perverted than a youngster like you should picture?"

"As for speaking like an elf, I was simply using something called sarcasm. I mean seriously. Killing an ogre? Stealing from a Bronze Colossous's hoard of treasure? Killing a horse? Come on, do you really expect us to belive this? WE'RE KOBOLDS, FOR CRYING OUT F*CKING LOUD! EVEN A LITTER OF RABBITS COULD KILL US! You go on one hunting trip with the adults, look me straight in the eye, and tell me we aren't at the bottom of the f*cking food chain!"
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2012, 10:19:46 pm »

OOC: By the way, I'm roleplayi g the equivilent of a teenager

"What? The sight of a kobold being torn apart, staying conscious long enough to see the elves eating it's own flesh, or something far more perverted than a youngster like you should picture?"

"As for speaking like an elf, I was simply using something called sarcasm. I mean seriously. Killing an ogre? Stealing from a Bronze Colossous's hoard of treasure? Killing a horse? Come on, do you really expect us to belive this? WE'RE KOBOLDS, FOR CRYING OUT F*CKING LOUD! EVEN A LITTER OF RABBITS COULD KILL US! You go on one hunting trip with the adults, look me straight in the eye, and tell me we aren't at the bottom of the f*cking food chain!"

.....Im six!

(I could NOT resist that, the most iconic moment of Dwarf Fortress's youth.)

......I killed a beetle once......After getting my right hand broken.....
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2012, 10:46:01 pm »

"Yea, well I'm 12! And you don't hit puberty until around 8! Besides, like I said, bottom of the food chain! Even the dwarves, who were the smallest of the sentient beings barring us, were still a full one-third taller than us! And a beetle would only give them a few bruises, save for a lucky hit on the beetle's part or an epic fail on the dwarf's part, while us? You got your arm broken as a result! But then you're still technically a small child, so that specific example isn't all that relevent..."

"But anyways. Back to story time. What epic feat will Deebus perform next?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2012, 10:49:47 pm »

(God, I love this thread. A epic story, AND ROLEPLAYING.)
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2012, 11:30:25 pm »

Day 4

Deebus awoke in the cave and walked out into the dawn. Last night he hadn't set watch fires, because the old wives said that evil spirits never bothered those who stayed underground. In the grey hours of the morning he began creeping eastward. He thought that perhaps, now being north of the dread mountains, he could go around and see what was on the other side.

Shortly after sunrise he found himself in a thickly wooded and densely snow-covered country. Here he found packs of dingos, the cousins of the wolves that often stalked unfortunate kobolds. These he crept past as they slept, not wishing to be overwhelmed by an entire frenzied pack. Further on he found a few turkeys, and decided to refill his pack by bagging one. Sneaking up carefully behind a hen, he speared it in the skull and killed her before she even knew he was there. He also managed to kill a nearby gobbler, but this was loud enough for the others to notice him and they all fled.
He shot another one of the gobblers and then finished it with his spear. The other turkeys were gone now, though, but these three, scrawny though they were, would together provide an ample supply of meat and bones.

Deebus crossed over a frozen brook into a frozen swampland. Passing further eastward, he swam across a stream into a non-frozen swamp. Further eastward he came to a small waterfall in an adjacent swamp valley, where a brook fell into a stream. He wondered about where to cross, whether the greatest danger came from falling over or getting sucked under. After a few minutes of thought, Deebus decided to go for the lower.
After that, up and down wooded hills he went, going ever eastward. The countryside reminded him of his home. All the trees, the animals, and the stone seemed familiar. Suddenly, he came upon something that made his heart leap.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Home.

The stonecrafter Tlikibrildus saw him approach. At first he was fightened at seeing a figure, covered in bones and pelts with what looked like a horse skull coming out of a bear's mouth for a head. Then he saw the spear and recognized it. That spear had gone missing from the hoard 4 days ago, along with a nearly grown kobold. Deebus.
He ran up to greet him, scarcely believing that he was alive. Deebus had few that had been close to him, but in the general closeness of kobold tribes any loss of one so young was felt bitterly. They greeted each other and Tlikibrildus asked him what happened. Deebus told him. He began with his taking the shield and spear and leaving, and the horrible storm. As Deebus told his tale, other kobolds heard the news and came out to listen. He told of the three monsters he had killed, of the daring theft from Murime, of the horses and the bears and the surprising rabbit. Some of them were incredulous, but then he produced the drum and the crown, and showed them his bow. The horse skull and bearskin were self evident.
Now knowing his tales to be true, his small audience ran back into the cave, into the depths and shouted the news. Deebus was swept off his feet by a crowd of his fellow kobolds and carried into the cave. He expected everything to be different, but was surprised to find everything as he remembered. Those four days had felt like such a long time, with everything that happened in them.

Deebus was glad to be home at last, celebrating and talking with the people he knew. There was a big feast, supplemented by the large amount of delicious meat he had acquired on his journey. Afterwards, he settled down on the cave floor for a night of well-earned rest. Home at last. He could go back to... doing what he did before? What to do now? He was a hero, and going back to doing small tasks for his elders didn't seem so comfortable an idea anymore. Not that they would want him too, though. What was there to do, when one was a hero?

Little did he know, Deebus's journey was only just beginning.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:42:35 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2012, 11:33:23 pm »

OOOOOH! Deebus made it home!

The pup begins jumping up and down, irritating Orky.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:08 pm »

"Interesting. Maybe the Elders will give him things to slay rather than things to haul around? Certainly seems more appropriate for someone of his skill... and luck."

OOC: Also, you should look to replacing the silver spear with at least copper, since he is likely more skilled with a spear than a sword.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2012, 11:43:52 pm »

"Maybe he will kill Mermines! Do you remember that elf or human, whatever, that killed a bronze colossus with a fluffy-wambler!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2012, 12:16:50 am »

"Maybe he will kill Mermines! Do you remember that elf or human, whatever, that killed a bronze colossus with a fluffy-wambler!"

Oh, that would be a day for the history books that. I must attempt it!

Also, here's Deebus's stats by the time he returned home:

Never used fast travel, so sneaking the whole journey really did wonders for the skill.

Had to do some trickiness to prevent a loyalty cascade, btw.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:58:39 pm by HugoLuman »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2012, 12:19:00 am »

(Loyalty Cascade, why?)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2012, 12:38:21 am »

(Loyalty Cascade, why?)
Creatures with utterances, even if you're part of their civ, will attack you on sight. Then, because they attacked a member of their own civ, other members will become friendly and start attacking the one that attacked you.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2012, 12:39:10 am »

(Why not remove it then?)

Grandpappy, what ever happened to Deebus after?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2012, 12:48:14 am »

That's the trickiness I did. Replaced it with [CAN_SPEAK] temporarily to make them friendly to me and so that I could report successes.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2012, 01:47:29 am »

CHAPTER 2

A scream echoed from far below. Kobolds came rushing up from the lower levels of the cavern, looks of terror on their faces. Deebus wondered what was happening, why all his friends were running in terror. He managed to catch one of his fellows as she ran, and she told him that there were naked mole dogs and giant spiders and troglodytes bellow. Several kobolds were already dead.
Deebus needed to hear no more. Grabbing his spear and bow from next to his sleeping space, he ran downwards, against the streaming, screaming kobolds going the other way.

Down and down the spiraling passage he went, until he reached an expansive cavern deep underground. Here was where the kobolds piled their treasures high, though they knew not how far the darkness went. Deebus looked around at an unreal scene. By now many kobolds lay dead, but so did many naked mole dogs and troglodytes. There were the hunters, who had slain most of the monsters by the time Deebus got down there, but they were wounded and tired. They told Deebus that they had driven the other monsters away, but that some kobolds had become scattered and lost in the dark.
Deebus rushed out and called for the lost ones. He soon found them and they told him which way the monsters went. As he chased, though, he found only a cave crocodile next to a few mangled kobold corpses. This he shot then slew with a stab to the neck, but cursed in the gibberish of kobolds that by now the other monsters would be too far for his vengeance to reach. It did not matter, though, as for now at least his people were safe.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:43:47 pm by HugoLuman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2012, 06:30:48 pm »

Where to go from here? Go through the caverns or go kill more surface stuff?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54