Stalker
- 38 (19.2%)
Kobold
- 73 (36.9%)
Guardian
- 19 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 192

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54

Author Topic: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.  (Read 192973 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The journey of Deebus, a kobold story.
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2012, 11:18:44 pm »

GET OUT. RIGHT NOW. GET THE ELF OUT! SCREW DIGNITY, THIS IS SUCICIDE!

IC

Is he going to kill it Grandpa? Is he? Is he is he is he is he is he?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2012, 12:54:39 am »

Don't screw with cave dragons, yo :o

Hmm... What do the raws say about them...

- They don't breath fire, but they're immune to it.
- talented in melee combat and have no fear whatsoever of death.
- a 1000 year old individual is 15,000,000 urists in volume.
- Their body parts are 4 times as valuable as most creatures.

Yeah, deebus would be hard-pressed to survive a fight with a cave dragon...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2012, 01:11:18 am »

I'm gonna go for it. The world is only 200 years old, so it'll be a young one.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2012, 10:28:53 am »

He readied another arrow, but when he fired it into her leg, she saw him and raised the screamed at the others.

Is it true that the troglodyte saw Deebus after being shot, or did you just decide to show yourself to make things more interesting?  In my experience (in DF2010), once I got up to legendary sneaking I could shoot arrows at monsters indefinitely and they would just sit there and take it and never notice me.  Did stealth change at all in DF2012 (I hadn't thought there were any changes)?

Maybe Deebus just got unlucky for once?  The RNG has to balance itself out eventually...I think...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2012, 02:41:20 pm »

I'm gonna go for it.

"Deebus was never seen again. Some say, if you listen carefully enough, you can still hear the little Kobold fighting that one cave dragon, deep in the darkest levels of the caverns."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2012, 04:19:53 pm »

He readied another arrow, but when he fired it into her leg, she saw him and raised the screamed at the others.

Is it true that the troglodyte saw Deebus after being shot, or did you just decide to show yourself to make things more interesting?  In my experience (in DF2010), once I got up to legendary sneaking I could shoot arrows at monsters indefinitely and they would just sit there and take it and never notice me.  Did stealth change at all in DF2012 (I hadn't thought there were any changes)?

Maybe Deebus just got unlucky for once?  The RNG has to balance itself out eventually...I think...
I got unlucky. Monsters can often be stealthily pincushioned, but there wasn't much room in the cave and shooting from closer seems to get you detected more.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2012, 04:42:02 pm »

...shooting from closer seems to get you detected more.

Indeed. If you're within 3 tiles of something (a 7x7 box centered on the creature. Not sure how observer skill affects this but I once owned a no-skill, non-sentient pig in fortress mode that would spot thieves up to 15 tiles away. I called her radar pig and stuffed her in her own special box in my entryway. :P), it has a chance to detect you. If you're firing a bow, crossbow, or blowgun you wait several turns after each shot before you can take an action. During each of those turns, any creatures within 3 tiles of you makes an attempt to spot you. So you're basically increasing your chances of being spotted by anything standing a short distance away by several orders of magnitude.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2012, 01:41:21 am »

Here goes everything!

An enormous beast stood before Deebus. It was huge and horrible, a ghastly creature polluted by years of brooding in darkness. It had once been a dragon, but now it was something else. Huge and white; limp, tattered wings hanging uselessly; a mouth full of a thousand long needles.
His first thought was to take the treasure and leave. Any sensible kobold would never even contemplate fighting such a beast; it was simply not survivable. Deebus had a task, though. A task to rid the world of all the evil beasts that plagued it. Perhaps it would have still seemed like folly, but Deebus knew that he must fight. And he knew something else, too; the shadows were on his side. They had become familiar to him now, friendly. Not even the enormous green bulges of horror that were this beast's eyes could pierce his darkness quickly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So it was, from ambush as always that the greatest battle of Deebus's life so far began. Deebus fitted an arrow to his bow and let it loose. It buried itself in the dragon's right flank. In utter surprise the dragon stood up and looked around the cave, enraged at this sudden pain. His gaze swept the sandy room, only to find nothing. Just as he was about to lay down and ignore this freak occurrence, another arrow tore through his wing. Now he was infuriated, and determined to find what was causing the pain. Try as he might, though, he still could not see anything in the gloom.
The cave dragon got up and took a step forward. Deebus fired another arrow, this one smiting the dragon straight in the chest and fracturing a rib.
This was too much for him. Vush hadn't had a serious fight in a few decades, and the sudden amount of pain took him very much by surprise. Deebus lept upon him and drove his spear into his forehead. Finding that it wouldn't go through, though, Deebus stabbed the eyes, ripping them wide open and unleashing a torrent of blood. Vush wasn't dead yet, though, and regained consciousness to blindly lash out and send Deebus flying into the wall.
Luckily, Deebus was only stunned and bruised by the impact, and rolled back into the fight. Vush still couldn't see where the pain was coming from, but soon felt more of it with a sharp, searing pain in the lung. Deebus removed the spear from the chest and plunged it into the stomach, tearing it apart.
Vush was truly infuriated now, determined to crush whatever miserable creature was tormenting him. He was blinded now, though, and still couldn't tell where the enemy was. Deebus gave him a reminder by stabbing him in the nose and then the tail.
Finally, Vush gave into pain and fainted. Deebus leaped out of the way to avoid getting crushed, then looked at the dragon for a moment, frozen. He wasn't long immobilized by how surreal the whole situation was, but now he found it all overwhelming.
Time seemed to slow to a crawl as he hefted up the spear, prepared to deliver the now practiced and instinctual motion. He watched his arms bending, the muscles moving, the hands on the pole going down, down, so slowly. All he could hear was the beating of his heart and the ringing of his ears. Ever so slowly did the spear head crawl through the air, touching the scales of the throat and continuing, the blood welling up and spurting so slowly that it might have been honey flowing. Deebus closed his eyes, and when he opened them it was done. Done in a blink.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2012, 01:43:26 am »

Forgive my horrible art skills and cheezy reference.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2012, 10:10:19 am »

All is forgiven! :D
I make Spellcrafts!

Supersnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Woodcrafter Competant Leatherworker
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2012, 11:46:08 am »

All hail Deebus, the savior of the kobold people!
Personally, I like it because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
If murdering parents in front of their kids in the most gruesome manner possible is too much for you, you have not played Dwarf Fortress
You should be drowning babies by now, human.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2012, 03:56:31 pm »

How's the finger doing?  Are you going to have to attempt some sort of amputation (maybe with another adventurer?), or will Jeebus *ahem* have power over life and death?  :P

Surprised that he hadn't died, Jeebus quickly drew out the spear and jabbed the troglodyte in the chest again.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2012, 04:14:05 pm »

Thats it! I must kill Deebus, my power will not be threatened by a peasant like this!

....BUT IM SCARED.

Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2012, 06:26:06 pm »

How's the finger doing?  Are you going to have to attempt some sort of amputation (maybe with another adventurer?), or will Jeebus *ahem* have power over life and death?  :P

Surprised that he hadn't died, Jeebus quickly drew out the spear and jabbed the troglodyte in the chest again.

Ahaha, thanks for catching that. Fixed it now! Seriously, I lol'd so hard.
If there is any way to find secrets in a world without dieties (for Kobolds do not worship them), I'll try and find it. To be honest, I really don't know what to do about the finger. I do not believe it will kill me any time soon, but I also know no way of treating it. Would soap help?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »

Ahaha, thanks for catching that. Fixed it now! Seriously, I lol'd so hard.
If there is any way to find secrets in a world without dieties (for Kobolds do not worship them), I'll try and find it. To be honest, I really don't know what to do about the finger. I do not believe it will kill me any time soon, but I also know no way of treating it. Would soap help?

It will stay infected unless your hand gets lobbed-off.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54