Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 51878 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #315 on: August 01, 2013, 09:28:48 pm »

oh, i'm not hearing too much backlash.  just sounds like good-natured griping.  even the folks with complaints seem to be glad they played it.

Genesis might have some strong advantages and better open-ended features, but frankly some of those random missions get repetitive and boring.

People are already making more missions for SRR, faster than I can play them.  Some dude modded in all the weapons and cyberware from the 2nd ed Street Sam catalog.

Seems like its worth the money to me.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 01, 2013, 09:44:21 pm »

You see people? This is why I don't do crowdfunding and will never do crowdfunding - broken promises and violated dreams. I was almost more-than-tempted to purchase the game but after hearing all of this here backlash I'm inclined to just stick with the Genesis version.

Recent patch fixed a LOT of bugs (notably the "wired reflexes makes you dodge friendly effects").  And makes it more obvious that the game only saves at the autosave points and when those are.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 01, 2013, 09:47:34 pm »

You see people? This is why I don't do crowdfunding and will never do crowdfunding - broken promises and violated dreams. I was almost more-than-tempted to purchase the game but after hearing all of this here backlash I'm inclined to just stick with the Genesis version.

Recent patch fixed a LOT of bugs (notably the "wired reflexes makes you dodge friendly effects").  And makes it more obvious that the game only saves at the autosave points and when those are.
I should stop reading the forums while drunk on sedatives then because it looks like I made an ass of myself. I'll give this game a shot once I've got a computer that meets the RAM requirement. Believe it or not my computer at this time meets all requirements but that one.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2013, 10:13:00 pm »

Believe it or not my computer at this time meets all requirements but that one.

Not uncommon.  You might be able to play it anyway, RAM is...weird.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2013, 10:14:53 pm »

Fortunately, RAM is cheap and easy to install, so just make a trip over to your local computer shop and buy a few sticks. That should get you ready.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2013, 10:26:36 pm »

Believe it or not my computer at this time meets all requirements but that one.
Not uncommon.  You might be able to play it anyway, RAM is...weird.
I'll keep that in mind, though I still plan on getting a new machine in September. Between that, several anime titles and a copy of Vampire: The Masquerades: Bloodlines and maybe a copy of Half-Life and Half-Life 2 I'm going to see if I can fit Shadowrun Returns in there somehow.

Fortunately, RAM is cheap and easy to install, so just make a trip over to your local computer shop and buy a few sticks. That should get you ready.
Only Amazon.com has PC133 SDRAM for cheap, and I'm not confident enough with my computer hardware skills to install said RAM. If it were as simple as slotting a GPU or a WIFI card into a PCI or AGP 8x slot then I might give it a shot but right now it looks like I'll be replacing this machine from 2001 with something more modern in September.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #321 on: August 01, 2013, 11:03:11 pm »

Wait, you think slotting in RAM is complicated? Look at some videos, its pretty much "push into slot and only fits one way", even with the old stuff.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2013, 11:10:07 pm »

...the problem I believe, is that he's using a computer old enough to be  steam-powered
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2013, 11:31:56 pm »

Wait, you think slotting in RAM is complicated? Look at some videos, its pretty much "push into slot and only fits one way", even with the old stuff.

well clock speed and latency matter, compatibility with your old ram, compatibility with your motherboard and CPU, which slots you put it in.  its not intuitive, and documentation for your motherboard isnt always easy to find or well written.  not trying to scare anyone off, but its easy to get wrong.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #324 on: August 02, 2013, 12:04:17 am »

True, the RAM setup itself could potentially throw a wrench if default settings issues / compatibility issues happen (though of course, RAM = cheap = mistakes are usually cheap too unless you nuke your BIOS / mess with power settings and have no idea what to do).  The actual slotting in though is mostly trivial as long as you order the right RAM type.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 02, 2013, 12:28:29 am »

...the problem I believe, is that he's using a computer old enough to be steam-powered
I see what you did there and I fucking like it. Give this man an internet.

well clock speed and latency matter, compatibility with your old ram, compatibility with your motherboard and CPU, which slots you put it in.  its not intuitive, and documentation for your motherboard isnt always easy to find or well written.  not trying to scare anyone off, but its easy to get wrong.
I've got everything down except whether my computer will accept Lo-DIMM or Hi-DIMM and seeing as Amazon.com last I checked was reluctant to divulge that bit of information on the RAM and I can't seem to find out what my computer takes online that's part of what got me a little worried about doing that kind of an upgrade. Plus I am more-than-likely going to be getting a modern (read: Windows 7 32-bit) desktop or laptop in a month at the earliest thanks to finally having some extra money by that time and this computer has a problem with a Bipolar PSU fan.

It spends about a week to a week and a half on average working just fine when all of a sudden it starts to make grinding and buzzing noises and often requires being started manually at least two or three times during the course of half-a-week to a week. I know, I need machine oil for the bearings or some shit but I don't even have a screwdriver which can open this god damn machine's PSU and I think these days they don't make the kind needed for this kind of operation. I could be wrong because I know almost nothing about screwdrivers but the fact of the matter still stands that it's not a flat-head nor a plus-head and that worries me.

It won't hurt to at least buy Shadowrun Returns on Steam when I get the money though since at the very least I could download it onto another computer after having made the purchase since it would be locked onto my Steam account or some shit. I'm new to Steam and in fact have had an account for maybe less than a week and a half and have bought maybe one game that was on sale at 75% off so I might be wrong though. I'm behind on the times and this newfangled shit confuses me.

Besides, I love me some cyberpunk - one of my favorite authors as of late is William Gibson - and I've been a fan of Shadowrun since I was introduced to it in junior high when one of the kids in my special education class brought in a portable TV, a Sega Genesis, and Shadowrun for the Genesis. I even have the fourth edition core rulebook, and a hardcopy at that. I think that even if I don't like the game it will be worth it spending some money on Shadowrun Returns because I think I probably will like said game despite my experience with Shadowrun being limited to console games and MUDs.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:30:19 am by MadMalkavian »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 02, 2013, 06:23:00 pm »

torx, no doubt.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

probably easier to replace the fan, than monkeying with the bearing.  when they start to go, its often irreversibly damaged.  oiling might buy you some time, but fans are cheap.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 03, 2013, 02:59:13 am »

torx, no doubt.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

probably easier to replace the fan, than monkeying with the bearing.  when they start to go, its often irreversibly damaged.  oiling might buy you some time, but fans are cheap.
Well you would think that the fan was starting to go, but it's been doing this for going on one year and eight months and it has maintained it's status of being both bipolar and temperamental. I think the problem is that I haven't been able to properly clean the damn thing as in order to really get in there and clean a PSU you've got to open up the damn thing. In fact it probably doesn't need oiling at all, just a good old-fashioned deep cleaning of some kind.

I mean I did have a new computer for a while in 2011 and didn't bother using this machine, and the end result is that she got filled with all kinds of dust. I got all of it out except for what I think might be in the PSU and so the end result is that of course the PSU will still have the problems it usually has until I can get it cleaned out. Outside of the fan problem this machine boots up faster than half of the ones I've seen that were built in 2010 or later because I've tweaked every little thing I can to optimize the overall performance and speed of this machine. I don't know, I didn't go to school for this shit so I might very well be wrong.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 02, 2013, 09:28:07 am »

So, no one's talking about Shadowrun anymore -_-

Posting just to note that I got my physical backer rewards yesterday.  The anthology book is delicious and I can't wait to read through it. 

The USB thumbdrive thing is wholly metal.  That's kind of different.  Haven't plugged it in yet.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 02, 2013, 10:25:23 am »

So, no one's talking about Shadowrun anymore -_-

Posting just to note that I got my physical backer rewards yesterday.  The anthology book is delicious and I can't wait to read through it. 

The USB thumbdrive thing is wholly metal.  That's kind of different.  Haven't plugged it in yet.

Awesome.  I can't wait till my loot comes.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27