Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space  (Read 51887 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun Returns - Let's Kickstart this into space
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2013, 04:45:12 pm »

In many ways that is sort of accurate to the game.

The Face is probably the least useful role to a team unless they are specifically targeted to be given a bone.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2013, 04:50:23 pm »

What about social engineering?  Why use a decker to hack a system when you can just sweet talk or trick a wage-slave into giving you the password.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2013, 05:11:26 pm »

But yeah, a little sad that the supplied campaign didn't take advantage of a number of things.

Sad isn't the word I'd use.

For how simple the Editor makes doing these things, and for how these guys supposedly love SR more than anyone else....

I honestly feel like the game was written by an absentee GM. Like a design doc was written that included all these uses for things like etiquette, interesting dialog interactions based on stats....

And then no one did them.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2013, 05:25:00 pm »

What about social engineering?

It can be done through roleplaying 10 times better then the face can do it through rolling for it.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 30, 2013, 05:27:32 pm »

Yeah...  Can't deny that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 30, 2013, 07:55:49 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I like faces... but their importance to a group makes them approach NPC levels.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 30, 2013, 08:08:50 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I like faces... but their importance to a group makes them approach NPC levels.

We do you put hackers, at a real at-the-table game?

That is, all-in-all, not just importance.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 30, 2013, 08:34:51 pm »

Hackers are sort of a very iffy deal.

They ARE important but the problem is that the game grinds to a halt when they do their things.

So their tendency to be delegated to NPCs has more to do with keeping the game going then them being useless.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 30, 2013, 09:14:43 pm »

Yeah allegedly that was the reason the newest P&P version went all "everything is wireless now! you can slicing some guy while simultaneously hacking him with Google Glasses™". It didn't go very well, or so I heard.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 30, 2013, 09:22:25 pm »

delegated to NPCs

That's what I wanted to know.
Not why (I know why) I just wanted to hear your opinion.

Yeah allegedly that was the reason the newest P&P version went all "everything is wireless now! you can slicing some guy while simultaneously hacking him with Google Glasses™". It didn't go very well, or so I heard.

Technically 4th had "everything is wireless" (check Augmentation, there are rules for disabling your cyberarm's wifi).

From a game play perspective, the rules are actually not bad.  It's the implications that get messy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2013, 09:40:58 pm »

Honestly the fact that the Shadowrun world is still standing becomes more and more questionable everyday.

Every few years there is a whole disaster that kills a billion.

It is like the DC universe except no one actually stops anything.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 30, 2013, 09:42:44 pm »

Every few years there is a whole disaster that kills a billion.

It's ok, they were all orcs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 30, 2013, 09:46:35 pm »

Well we have the event that caused everyone to mutate... that killed millions of people and many more from riots. Then we had Surge and even more people died. Then the blackout that killed even more. The Ultra-AIDs virus and its rampant proliferation... Natural Disasters...

Not to mention every third city in this universe has been destroyed.

Honestly how Shadowrun is still overpopulated is beyond me... (well ok... it is because that would destroy the setting if the natural disasters depicted in the narrative actually caused the deaths they imply)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 09:50:05 pm by Neonivek »

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 30, 2013, 10:15:05 pm »

I can't believe how much the backers on this game got cheated. I loved, -loved- the genesis version of the game. When the original kickstarter came out, I noticed a suspicious lack of actual gameplay details regarding, specifically, what sort of game they would design. (I even asked that question of them, via the kickstarter venue for doing so, and was basically told "A shadowrun game!!!!!!" in so many words... ... ...) So, being of a suspicious nature when it comes to my limited money, I did not back. I have backed many other projects, but the wierd, perpetual failed business history the guy in charge of it had, combined with the refusal to give any actual gameplay details, had me suspicious.

Now, it appears the gameplay is basically a PC port of a mobile game, released first so as to (hopefully) minimize fan backlash. Saves were nixed; obviously because saves wouldn't work as well as checkpoints on a tablet, there's no map screen, and the whole gameplay experience just screams "tablet squad tactical game!!!!" - which is, to be frank, what the game really is. It lacks any real balancing or depth by pc standards, but would be an amazing ipad/android game. Which is what it -really- is.

I feel bad for the backers. I can only hope that most of them enjoy the character creation tools. With people like Deon on the job, I'm sure that in a year or two, there will be better stuff out of the fans then anything the actual makers could come up with.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:17:36 pm by lastofthelight »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2013, 11:11:35 pm »

I'm a backer and I don't feel cheated.   :P

I am a little disappointed though.  The art and story were fine in my books, but they really could have done a better job with the mechanics.  I honestly am not even sure why they included deckers considering how little they were used, and somehow the magic just seems underwhelming. 

They should have probably put in a proper skill system and worked harder at making the skills useful.  Less focus on combat would have been nice, and slower karma gain.

Honestly I dumped so many points into charisma and I still managed to blow away everything with a shotgun.

The saves vs checkpoints doesn't bother me at all.  Frankly I tend to prefer checkpoints.

Despite all the downsides, it WAS really nice to be in a shadowrun universe again, even if it wasn't perfect.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27