Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733968 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #1020 on: July 15, 2014, 01:34:20 pm »

Guys, question:

if I set:
sprite A to ConstructedFloor, and any "PLANT*WOOD", and
sprite B to any FLOOR, and "PLANT:TOWER_CAP:WOOD".

then, if I have a tile that's ConstructedFloor made of PLANT:TOWER_CAP:WOOD, should it get sprite A or sprite B?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1021 on: July 15, 2014, 02:06:54 pm »

A

You'd want to look at it by texture importance: For the player it's more important to know that a floor is constructed than that it is made out of towercap, therefore, the texture that indicates construction should precede material.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 15, 2014, 09:32:22 pm »

Use of the value tag for defining terrain is now depreciated:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It will still work, but won't  necessarily be compatible.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1023 on: July 16, 2014, 06:12:21 am »

Great! Except I'm pretty sure it's deprecated, not depreciated.

(is dyslexic esl so would totally make the same mistake :p )
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: July 17, 2014, 10:19:02 am »

I've uploaded test builds of the new tile assignment system, for DF version 0.34.11, and 0.40.01. Trees do not show up at all for some reason in the 0.34 version, and the 0.40 version does not yet have tree materials. There are, however, tree tiletypes, which you can use for testing sprites.

Neither of these are intended for regular use.

When you run stonesense, it will create two CSV files in the DF root directory, TiletypeList.csv, and MatList.csv. They can be used for finding what tokens are used for what.
There are no changes to material assignment yet, but tiletypes are now assigned as follows:
      <terrain value="*" token="*" shape="*" special="*" variant="*" material="*"/>
If value is used, Stonesense will use that, ignoring the rest, and will give a warning.
If token is used, Stonesense will likewise ignore the rest. Valid token names are found in TiletypeList.csv, along with their corresponding numerical value. This is the preferred way to assign a tile to a single specific tiletype.
The rest are used to assign the sprite to all matching tile types. shape=FLOOR will assign the tile to all floor tiles, and adding material=FROZEN_LIQUID to that will make it apply to ice floors only.
Tag priorities are as follows:
Direct assignment: 16
shape: 8
special: 4
variant: 2
material: 1
Priorities of all used tags are added together, and the assignment with the higher priority is used. If an assignment has the same priority as annother, the behavior is the same as before, the one defined first is used.

There is currently no change to how materials are assigned, but there will be in the future.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1025 on: July 17, 2014, 01:28:15 pm »

I've uploaded test builds of the new tile assignment system, for DF version 0.34.11, and 0.40.01. Trees do not show up at all for some reason in the 0.34 version, and the 0.40 version does not yet have tree materials. There are, however, tree tiletypes, which you can use for testing sprites.

Neither of these are intended for regular use.
Yes indeed, it's very crash prone, though half of that may be me running it on wine under linux :p

Anyhow:

I turned off the terrain because it was generating a lot of spam.
I also cheated a little with the foiliage: I just resizes the foliage I already had, because foliage is apparantly a floor-type.

Needless to say, there's TONS of work to be done. I think I'll first draw some proper-foliage, and am then going to worry about making the tiles flow together better.

Anyhow, you can get this first attempt here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jr4tcsydukz27l/DF_2014_Trees.zip

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1026 on: July 17, 2014, 05:40:28 pm »

Okay, so anyone fancy some Mario trees?

I tried seperating twigs and branches, but that started looking noisy. I want to investigate further into it.

Also, after 4 years border_open_OR and tileborder are still broken, I suggest we deprecate those too, or at the least remove them from the Sprite guide.
I was also experimenting with drawing shadows under the foliage, but neither offsety nor Y="-1" seemed to work, so I've given up on that for now.

Anyhow, I think this is the first visualiser screenshot that really shows how BIG these trees are compared to the dwarves now.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 17, 2014, 09:19:27 pm »

Those trees are looking great.
As for the border stuff, I agree, it was never very good to start with. I think I'll just replace it with something similar to what isoworld uses, which is much easier to use.
As for the wine issues, you may want to just compile your own Linux build of stonesense, if you think that's what's causing trouble.

Also,  there's nothing saying that you have to make the leaves floors. You can still give a wall sprite for them. It would, however, interfere with whoever's climbing.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1028 on: July 18, 2014, 06:02:14 am »

Those trees are looking great.
As for the border stuff, I agree, it was never very good to start with. I think I'll just replace it with something similar to what isoworld uses, which is much easier to use.
As for the wine issues, you may want to just compile your own Linux build of stonesense, if you think that's what's causing trouble.

Also,  there's nothing saying that you have to make the leaves floors. You can still give a wall sprite for them. It would, however, interfere with whoever's climbing.
Re: Building stonesense, probly, but I'll first need to wait till the weather becomes more sensible, no desire to figure out how to build something while swimming in my own sweat.

Re: borders: Maybe. I would miss being able to combine random variations with borders though :p

(re: foliage)No I don't, and frankly it's not necessary either.

What WOULD really help if there's a way to determine what is underneath or above a given sprite.
This way I could:
*Make better sloping trunks
*Have a different trunk for coming up from the ground.
*Have sprites drawn underneath the foliage: This would be great for a weeping willow, to have little catkins spilling down at the edges.

To not leave without any goodies:

I adjusted DarkTundra's water to be less extremely blue.

The reason we don't appreciate that value as humans is because water reflects the sky above. As all stonesense graphics have been made for a Bright Sunny Day With No Cloud In The Sky(tm), it's weird to see that kind of bright blue. It's a pity to not use them though, because those are some awesome animations, so I recoloured them.

If you're considering to have the weather/time of day affect how things are coloured, give me a call, because if we have the Sky-colour (and/or the Light-colour) as XML colours, we can use these to do pretty things. We'd only need multiply-blending mode as well :p.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:41:42 am by therahedwig »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1029 on: July 18, 2014, 02:55:11 pm »

Alright, I now use a slightly more holey-sprite for the twig folliage. This can't be walked on in game, and that should now be a little more obvious in stonesense.
I also added the large branches and am using the variationtype="sixteen", for both the large branches and the trunk. However, variationtype="sixteen" is meant for paths and the like, and it becomes obvious that it doesn't quite work here... Still fighting with the ramps, and that DF trees are just weird.

Current trees-xmls:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9jr4tcsydukz27l/DF_2014_Trees.zip

With this version you can:

• climb
  • visit the elves
  • have basic tree-visualisation

In this version you can't:
  • Set the elf retreat on fire and have nice visual feedback(dead/burning branches)
  • Go down into the carverns and look at the tower-caps
  • See any difference between trees at all
  • Enjoy the seasonal effects trees get.

Edit: Also, Palm trees don't have foliage of any kind in dwarf fortress... Just so you know.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:59:10 pm by therahedwig »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1030 on: July 19, 2014, 07:29:25 am »

Spoiler: Blossom (click to show/hide)

There's only a generic fruit left, and perhaps snow, and then I've done all I can for 'generic-aboveground-tree', and will focus on the shrooms underground instead.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 19, 2014, 07:37:27 am »

I'm currently deciding if it's worth the trouble to set materials for blossoms, etc, because there isn't an easy way to get them besides searching through all the material raws.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1032 on: July 19, 2014, 07:51:04 am »

I'm currently deciding if it's worth the trouble to set materials for blossoms, etc, because there isn't an easy way to get them besides searching through all the material raws.
Well, I don't mind adding the blossom, fruit and juice-colours to the colours-XML manually. The only issue might be modder's trees, so it really depends on the modders.

What I am also worried about is Autumn colouration. The raws only seem to define a display colour for the leaves in autumn...

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 19, 2014, 12:06:40 pm »

oo - pretty trees :)
where is up?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 19, 2014, 12:16:09 pm »

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 85