Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733981 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #990 on: July 11, 2014, 12:20:54 pm »

Oh god, new DF has generated materials now: The stone-sense artist's 'nightmare'.
And random items too.
*shivers in terror*

Ah well, I guess I'll be busy for a small infinity with the 100+ new crops anyway.

That said, check this out(spoilered for big images):

Toady made a difference between...
*Single grain wheat(einkorn wheat)
*double grain wheat(emmer wheat)
*soft wheat
*heard wheat(durum)
*barley

Now they probably do have difference in taste and customs and chemistry, but visually...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And I haven't even touched on spelt...

I think I'll first be handling the more common crops(oats, alfalfa, rye, etc) before I ever tackle these, and at the very least the five types of amaranth is going to be fun.
Most likely though I'll just be colourcoding the similar crops.

@Japa: Well, at the least I have my work cut out for me in the meantime :P
Good luck!
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: July 11, 2014, 03:10:18 pm »

Well, barley and wheat are quite very different (you won't make a beer out of wheat, and you won't bake a good bread out of barley), but otherwise yeah, some of the nuances seem pointless.

Though visually we sure can have one sprite for all of them.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #992 on: July 11, 2014, 04:06:07 pm »

Well, barley and wheat are quite very different (you won't make a beer out of wheat, and you won't bake a good bread out of barley), but otherwise yeah, some of the nuances seem pointless.

You should probably tell Toady that, in this game you can make Durum beer :)

Well, I still want to sorta try to make it so the player can differentiate somewhat, but we'll get there when we'll get there. There's plenty of other plants that need attention.

speaking of differentiating. I came across the same problem as others:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You can get the link of this less-contrasty and more abstractable grass here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkcmryqv8nsutrh/grasses_plain.png
Do note the flower are currently missing in that image, because I put them in a seperate file for this release.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 11, 2014, 05:13:22 pm »

You take that back, you heathen!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731/

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: July 11, 2014, 05:16:26 pm »

Sorry; you're right in that I didn't mention the host OS.  It is WinXP SP3.  I'm guessing from what I've read that that might be the problem.  It sounds like people are able to get a WinXP guest to use a GeForce, provided the host is NOT windows.  Is that correct?

I'll try to figure out some other 3D app.  So far, I've only tried the dxdiag tools.

In theory, a winxp sp3 host should be able to do it, but it may well depend on driver versions. I'm afraid we're running out of my ability to help you troubleshoot here, since I and other technicians/programmers I know have abandoned windows XP as a primary platform. For the time being, I can only suggest you verify if 3d acceleration works with another app, as mentioned.

Is there a particular reason you need an XP guest on an XP host?

Streeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing D&D Counts as Partying
    • View Profile
    • https://www.google.com/
« Reply #995 on: July 11, 2014, 08:50:55 pm »

I just want to give some words of encouragement to the devs of this tool. I know it relies on DFHack, so to all of you, we love your work!

Hell, if there's any kind of donate link, I'm sure many of us would love to help support the cause*. :3

*Long live the cause
"To ensure quality standards, this space is hereby declared a Signature-Free Zone (SFZ). All intruding signatures, real or made-up, will be shot on sight."

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 12, 2014, 01:27:49 am »

You take that back, you heathen!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731/

Yes, I'm horribly sorry, I don't know what I was thinking - I even love wheat beer!  ???

(Blame the language barrier, it didn't immediately connect in my mind)

Nevermind me and carry on.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: July 12, 2014, 10:51:14 am »

Just a heads up for tileset makers, there's a change in the way stonesense defines materials.

Materials are now defined with a single token, with wildcards, with the closer match having priority.

Example: to set a sprite for all leaves, you would use PLANT:*:LEAF, and then any plant leaves would get that sprite.
Then, if you set a sprite for PLANT:EGGPLANT:LEAF, then eggplant leaves would get overwritten with that sprite.
Assignments are prioritized according to how many letters are different. A 100% match has 0 priority, which is the highest. The above example would get a priority of 8, because of the 8 letters in eggplant. Using *LEAF would not overwrite PLANT:*:LEAF, but if there's, say, INORGANIC:LEAF somewhere, then that would get set to this.

If you want a more-or-less complete list of possible tokens for vanilla DF 0.40.1, it is here

I'll be doing something similar with other assignments like tiletype, items, etc.

Hopefully this should make it a bit easier to support mods and DF upgrades.

Also bone walls.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:54:27 am by Japa »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #998 on: July 12, 2014, 11:57:02 am »

Just a heads up for tileset makers, there's a change in the way stonesense defines materials.

Materials are now defined with a single token, with wildcards, with the closer match having priority.

Example: to set a sprite for all leaves, you would use PLANT:*:LEAF, and then any plant leaves would get that sprite.
Then, if you set a sprite for PLANT:EGGPLANT:LEAF, then eggplant leaves would get overwritten with that sprite.
Assignments are prioritized according to how many letters are different. A 100% match has 0 priority, which is the highest. The above example would get a priority of 8, because of the 8 letters in eggplant. Using *LEAF would not overwrite PLANT:*:LEAF, but if there's, say, INORGANIC:LEAF somewhere, then that would get set to this.

If you want a more-or-less complete list of possible tokens for vanilla DF 0.40.1, it is here

I'll be doing something similar with other assignments like tiletype, items, etc.

Hopefully this should make it a bit easier to support mods and DF upgrades.
Oh my, I usually wait with making xmls till I have access to stonesense to demo as they get copy-pasted a lot.

So instead of
<material value="Metal">
      <subtype value="GOLD" />
 </material>

It's now
<material value="INORGANIC:GOLD" />?
Also bone walls.
Spoiler: Aye aye Captain (click to show/hide)

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: July 12, 2014, 12:15:19 pm »

is there a tutorial about making your own tileset?
I am a Goober.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1000 on: July 12, 2014, 01:07:37 pm »

is there a tutorial about making your own tileset?
No, but given you can draw isometric sprites, it's pretty simple if a bit laborious.

Basically, stonesense uses XML files to determine what sprite goes where.
You have to specify the type of sprite(plant, wall, floor, creature, item, etc), the tile ids(stonesense debug gives you those), the specific material(which has changed a little, as Japa mentioned), the sprite-sheet, the location of the spritesheet and possible subsprites.

Stonesense tiles are default 32x32 for creatures, plants, items, coverings and walls, and 32x20 for floors. There can be 20 sprites next to eachother on a spritesheet, and the numbering starts with 0.

If you could give an example of what kind of sprites you'd like to make, I could give you an example?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 12, 2014, 02:41:00 pm »

What is this bone walls nonsense? >.>

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 12, 2014, 03:03:29 pm »

bone blocks?

And therahedwig,i was thinking about rock and mineral sprites-so that they would actually look like rocks,not like some coloured blocks.
I am a Goober.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: July 12, 2014, 03:22:24 pm »

Bone block would be awesome...is that a new thing in this version? If so I would legitimately make a Lets Play: Bone Fortress...building a fortress from the bones of invaders only!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #1004 on: July 12, 2014, 03:29:31 pm »

bone blocks?

And therahedwig,i was thinking about rock and mineral sprites-so that they would actually look like rocks,not like some coloured blocks.

Start with drawing Isometric sprites then :)

You might want to check Caldfir's pack here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4729
It contains most of the Stonesense Grim Dark terrain sprites, which were my attempt at doing the same(still working on that, slowly :p), you might want to avoid doing work that has already been done :)

But, taking an example from that pack...

Code: [Select]
<blocks file="SSGD_igneous_intrusive.png">
<block sheetIndex="50" variations="2">
    <!-- stone -->
    <terrain value="65" />
<terrain value="219" />
<terrain value= "219" />
<terrain value= "335" />
<terrain value= "440" />

<material value="Stone">
<subtype value="DIORITE"/>
</material>

<subsprite
sheetIndex="40"
variations="2"
/>
<subsprite
sheetIndex="50"
variations="2"
border_dark_OR="12345678" />
</block>
</blocks>
The top-level xml here is a <blocks> tag, this represents a set of walls and has a file attribute pointing to the PNG, then you get every single <block> with sheet-index attribute and variations attribute, the latter taking mutliple sprites for this file and randomly using them.
Then you have the terrain-value, this reffers to the terrain-id that DFhack retreives from DF, and is used to align the block with the correct terrain. You use the debug mode to find the correct numbers.
Then you have the material, this has changed in the last version, and I suspect it's now supossed to be <material value="INORGANIC:DIORITE" /> on it's own, but Japa still has to confirm that.

Finally, you have subsprites, which also reffer to a sprite-sheet-index and have possible conditions. In this case the latter only draws when it's surrounded by 'dark' tiles, making the inside your fortress graphics slightly darker.

... But do check out Calfdfir's pack, it may be that the majority of your needs have been covered already.(And come and help me draw sprites for the new crops :D EDIT: OR expand on the existing sprites. You should be able to use the conditional attribute to make more customised graphics for specific situations)

(I am surprised though, I thought caldfir's pack had become standardish, hence me never updating the grim dark pack, because the new metamorphics are already in caldfir's pack... Huh.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:34:23 pm by therahedwig »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 85