Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How often to you use stonesense?

I consider it an essential part of Dwaf Fortress, and can't play without it.
- 119 (18.4%)
I use it for pretty screenshots, but otherwise don't use it during play.
- 211 (32.7%)
I only try it occasionally.
- 174 (27%)
I have no idea why I'm even in this thread, I don't use it.
- 141 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 642

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 85

Author Topic: Stonesense: Usage Poll!  (Read 733906 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense: Usage Poll!
« Reply #960 on: June 22, 2014, 03:42:09 am »

It's not a bug, it's a lack of resources.

DF and stonesense both take quite a bit of memory, and since DF is a 32bit program, it's limited to a total of 2gb combined, regardless of your computer setup.

There is a way to patch it so that it can use more ram, but it can potentially break things and I take no responsibility if your computer catches fire, even though I've used it and nothing bad happened to me. See here.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: June 22, 2014, 12:32:17 pm »

I'm using the lastest DF Starter Pack, which I thought had already patched DF to be large address aware? (and believe it or not, I actually tried using that exact program to patch my copy of DF about a month ago, with no effect). Is there any other file which needs to be patched?

Edit: Are there any settings I can use to reduce Stonesense's memory use, like low-res textures?

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: June 22, 2014, 12:45:07 pm »

Using the overlay, but its soooo blurry you can't see anything but blobs, any idea whats wrong? 
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: June 22, 2014, 10:05:07 pm »

Edit: Are there any settings I can use to reduce Stonesense's memory use, like low-res textures?

Actually, there are.

Open stonesense/creatures/index.txt, and put a hash before any of the large_* lines.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: June 22, 2014, 11:28:52 pm »

The good news is that with the large_* line commented out, DF only uses 1.5gb, according to the task manager. The bad news is, it's still crashing when I load the save.

The fort in that save file does have some unusual features. Off the top of my head, I've got some furniture built on top of up/down stairs, for example, some walls made of "rough hewn iron," and some stairs made of "rock" (all the result of various science experiments). The version I'm playing with has some engraved sand, too, but that may not be in the save file in the link. I don't have any reason to think any of these things would cause problems for Stonesense, but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: June 22, 2014, 11:31:07 pm »

'rock' might be causing issues, but none of the others would.

I'll take a look at it.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: June 23, 2014, 12:13:37 am »

Thanks! However, I tried editing out those materials with tiletypes, and it's still crashing, so whether or not "rock" is causing problems, there's something else going on here, too.

Freak2121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: June 23, 2014, 12:14:47 am »

I have an issue with how it displays. If I have stonesense set to half my display width, it works perfectly both in Dwarf and Adventure mode. But if it is any higher than that, in Adventure mode it is offset by quite a bit and in Dwarf mode I can't scroll to the edge of the map at all.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: June 23, 2014, 01:57:11 am »

Bug report:  I seem to have an issue where setting [SEGMENTSIZE_Z:1] just blanks the screen, 2 shows a single level (floor+walls), 3 shows that and the level below, four shows three levels.  It looks like SEGMENTSIZE_Z is just subtracting one. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: June 23, 2014, 02:34:08 am »

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works.

Since it's confusing, I'll change it.

amz181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: June 23, 2014, 01:16:15 pm »

I think I've got a bug with the overlay:

When I try to build things like farm plots that require you to change the size using "umkh" no selection box shows up, so you have no idea what size plot you're building.

Apologies in advance if this has been reported before, or if I am somehow overlooking something.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:19:15 pm by amz181 »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: June 24, 2014, 12:07:35 am »

When I try to build things like farm plots that require you to change the size using "umkh" no selection box shows up, so you have no idea what size plot you're building.
I can confirm this.  A related problem is that zones are not shown until completed - fine for rectangular selection, but flow mode shows nothing.  Burrows don't even show the green first-corner cursor in rectangular mode.  Annoying problems, but not game-breaking.

An unrelated problem is getting a decent look at the edges of the map with the overlay.  There's a direct contrast between getting the overlay to fill most of the display area, and seeing edges - decreasing the XY size helps one and and hurts the other.  Given the effects of different screen resolutions, I'm pretty sure that the issue is down to the centers of the view matching up.  Since the 2D tiles are smaller than the stonesense tiles, this leads to a cutoff unless the rendered segment is significantly smaller than it could be. 

If it was possible to scroll DF to have the corner tile of the embark in the centre of the screen, this problem would be entirely fixed.  There would thus be no practical limit to the XY size you could render, avoiding the necessity to cut off the non-edge part of the display.  I don't know how difficult it might be or how this might be done (I suspect doing it in Stonesense rather than DF will be easier), but it's one of the few remaining things to make stonesense a complete interface replacement. 
 Donations here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: June 24, 2014, 12:17:29 am »

There actually is a setting for that. There's three modes that Stonesense has for choosing the center of the screen, that you can set in the config files.

One just simply locks both centers together, one tries to scale things to that edges match up, and one centers on the cursor when it's there. I could add another one that adjusts things so that the center of the stonesense view is on the edge when you're on the edge of the DF view.

Also something useful would be to chop the view in half, in either direction.

Also, there's a bug list here:

https://github.com/DFHack/stonesense/issues?state=open

That we can use to keep a list of issues, that way I don't need to keep searching through the thread.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: June 24, 2014, 01:14:15 am »

Ah, [TRACK_MODE:WINDOW] seems to work nicely.  Thanks.  I'll use the github page for anything else I think of. 
 Donations here.

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: June 24, 2014, 08:29:52 pm »

So, kind of a bump to my question.  Stonesense is blurry to the point of being unreadable, been messing with settings but nothing fixes it.  I can't really be the only one with this issue?
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 85